Star Trek 2009

HovitosKing

I know most, if not all, of the members of this board are Star Wars fans...and that Star Wars fans are generally NOT Star Trek fans. Whatever. For those of you who are fans of Trek, especially those who are fans of the original series, I read some interesting news regarding a new film due in 2008.

The film is breaking away from the Next Generation cast and is going to be a throwback to the original series. Actually, it's set around the first mission of the original crew...which could have a lot of potential if done correctly. It's going to be directed by J.J. Abrams (Alias, Lost, and Mission Impossible III) More than the screenplay, I'm looking forward to seeing all the old ships, starbases, and strange set pieces of the original show. Here's the actual article I found:

--from CNN.com--

Report: 'Star Trek' set for '08 revival...

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.

"the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock"
Pass....

"Star Wars fans are generally NOT Star Trek fans"
I find stuff I like in both...

"the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise"
Thank FK!

IAdventurer01

Ah yes, I heard about this. I'm really not sure what to make of this, but I suppose it will only be decided when it comes out, no? ;)

... and I like both. I really don't agree with that comment.

IndySeven

I hate Star Trek! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!! Its a mockery of the one and only great Sci-Fi phenomenon, Star Wars!!!!!!!!!(y)

Finn

Staff member
IndySeven said:
I hate Star Trek! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!! Its a mockery of the one and only great Sci-Fi phenomenon, Star Wars!!!!!!!!!(y)
Star Trek is older than Star Wars by more than a decade. Who's mocking who?

IndySeven

I know the tv series is older than Star Wars, but the movie series isn't. Plus, I just hate Star Trek sooo much!:gun:

Eric Solo

IndySeven said:
I know the tv series is older than Star Wars, but the movie series isn't. Plus, I just hate Star Trek sooo much!:gun:
Ya, Trek never would have become a movie franchise if not for the huge success of Star Wars.

I like Star Trek. In fact, my fan film has a Trek reference in it. I think a lot of Star Wars fans are also fans of Trek, but NOBODY likes em both equally!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Star Trek 2, 3, and 4 are an okay trilogy, otherwise, it's a soap opera for men. Though unlike soap operas, it's technically inconsistent from one episode to the next.

Bullwhip

I enjoyed the original series a lot and Wrath of Kahn and The Voyage Home, but I'm not much of an overall Trek fan. Still, doing this is part ballsy and part desperation and regardless, I'm intrigued.

Indy500

I'm surprised by IndySeven. There was a character in the orginal Trek series called "Gary Seven"

I thought of that when I looked at his screen name.

Eric Solo

the_tortel_tres said:
Good point

Trek's more of a sci-fi, whilest starwars is more fantasy

Very true. GL will readily admit Star Wars is a space fantasy, not true science fiction.

Leonard Nimoy will be reprising the role with another actor (not Adrien Brody) playing the young Spock.

Hawkeye

I LOVE STAR TREK!!! I grew up watching TNG, and I used to have a toy phaser and transporter. The Original Series ROCKED!!! Gene Roddenberry was a frickin' visionary, 10 times better than George Lucas could ever be. Towards the end of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, I was watching them just so I could say "I saw them". That never happened with Star Trek movies. Even Nemesis, when they killed Data, was a cool movie. As for Star Trek XI, I'm not sure I like the idea of other actors playing Kirk and Spock, but I REFUSE to see it if JJ Abrams casts Tom Cruise as Chris Pike. I can't stand that nutcase!:mad:

No Ticket

I've watched Star Trek before and I don't HATE it. But I'm not really crazy about it either ya know.

When I watched "Next Generation" on TV and they had them all in the "old west" ... well, it was just stupid.

That being said, Next Generation has a cool opening theme. lol. The oldest TV series is kinda fun to watch but it's still kind of lame. The movies, I've watched some of the oldest ones and they're not that bad... I don't really like any of the new ones made in the last decade or so.

Star Wars just has a cooler "futuristic technology" kind of world. The only advantage Trek has is the teleporter. Beam me up! That's pretty sweet.

This movie sounds like it will be a LOT better than the last few Trek films. I'll probably go see it if it really has Adrian Brody and Matt Damon in it. Which will make it the first Trek film I've bothered going to the movies to see. I like how it centers on the original crew, how original. (that was a bit sarcastic)

... J.J. Abrams is a decent director. The movie has the potential to be really good. But my prediction is it will be mediocre yet still attract a decent box office green lighting even MORE Trek films in a now "refreshed" ... or "refurbished" rather... series.

sarah navarro

The thing that makes me hate it is William Shatner,these days hes a no good actor ,as in all the lame commercials and sold his kidney stone for $25,000 he just trying to make a come back but its not really working.He might as well as be on the Surreal life or some stupid reality show.
No offense to the Trekkies its not a bad show I just like Star Wars better.;)