TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #301
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Iaian Glen. You may not know the name, but he's been burning up the screen as Ser Jorah Mormont in HBO's Game of Thrones adaptation. We have the same problem -- he was born in '61 -- as other notable actors, but could be a strong contender for post-Harrison flicks before Dr. Jones gets booted back to pre-school.

Young Mr. Glen.

The current Mr. Glen.

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #302
RKORadio

The bottom line:

Do we want the franchise to die with Harrison?
RKORadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #303
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKORadio
The bottom line:

I, for one, do not.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #304
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
The bottom line:

I do!!! What do you think?
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #305
RKORadio

Both James Bond and Doctor Who proved that the franchises were more than just one man.

A new Indy without the baggage of four films, might reinvigorate the Indiana Jones series.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #306
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Both James Bond and Doctor Who proved that the franchises were more than just one man.

A new Indy without the baggage of four films, might reinvigorate the Indiana Jones series.

I get that point but I just don't see another actor in the role. In my opinion Harrison made the character what it is. I always have thought it would have been a totally different film is Selleck had got the role. I probably would not be a fan. I didn't like SPF as Indy either. Who do you think could do it?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #307
RKORadio

Someone young enough to be able to do action-adventure fight scenes but old enough to be taken seriously as a hero. Harrison was 39 when Raiders came out so we are looking for someone in their late 30s or early 40s.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #308
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Someone young enough to be able to do action-adventure fight scenes but old enough to be taken seriously as a hero. Harrison was 39 when Raiders came out so we are looking for someone in their late 30s or early 40s.

You don't think it was Harrison's personality that made it work?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #309
RKORadio

I'd say it was a mix of things. a different director or script could have easily sunk Raiders.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #310
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
I'd say it was a mix of things. a different director or script could have easily sunk Raiders.

True, but we are talking about a new actor. What are your thoughts on that?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #311
Túrin Turambar

River phoenix would have been great at this time, but he died young. even Harrison said he was like him when he was young, Cant think of any other person.
Túrin Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #312
RKORadio

Henry:

Well I don't want the franchise to be lumbered with a "Roger Moore" type - the Bond franchise became way too campy under his reign.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #313
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Henry:

Well I don't want the franchise to be lumbered with a "Roger Moore" type - the Bond franchise became way too campy under his reign.

No suggestions? I think the 70's were more to blame than Moore himself.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #314
Millions
IndyFan

I'd love them to get the guy who played Sawyer in Lost.

He has the looks, and mischievous charm. He has also proved he can take a good on-screen beating. And most importantly, he can play 'the good guy' with just that little hint of ruthless, mischievous cunning.

Now, all he needs to do is get a haircut and work on that awful accent...
Millions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #315
Túrin Turambar

The thing is Ford made Indy his, with his looks voice,charisma,personality,presence...You cant just change the actor, this is NOT Bond.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #316
Mickiana
IndyFan

The reason Indiana Jones could be played by someone else now is that there is a new generation of movie goers not familiar enough with the original IJ movies to have to need Harrison back again.

Indiana Jones is a character and Harry played him well and had the advantage of putting his stamp on the character. We were very close to having Tom Selleck as our beloved adventuring archaeologist and it would have worked in a slightly different way.

Our experience of having someone else play Indiana Jones is not going to be some insult to Harry's contributions, in fact it will be a damn good challenge to the next actor as Harry did fill the boots so well. But even there, Harry's performances are not so sacrosanct that someone else cannot put their particular stamp on the role.

I understand the Harry worship, but I can't agree with it. There were plenty of good choices for the role when they were first casting for Raiders and I bet there would be even more now.

As for suggesting someone for the role, I am not familiar enough with the current crop of actors. With Disney owning the rights now, who knows if anyone from Lucas, Spielberg to whomever would be involved in a next installment.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #317
Millions
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Túrin Turambar
The thing is Ford made Indy his, with his looks voice,charisma,personality,presence...You cant just change the actor, this is NOT Bond.

Okay.....

You have two choices :

1) Indy with a new actor ;
2) No more Indy ever.

Neither is ideal, but I know I want more Indy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana

Indiana Jones is a character and Harry played him well ;

Our experience of having someone else play Indiana Jones is not going to be some insult to Harry's contributions ;

Harry did fill the boots so well ;

Harry's performances are not so sacrosanct ;

I understand the Harry worship.

Stop calling him Harry. It sounds ridiculous. You're not on some informal first name terms. You're a guy on a message board. Deal with it.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 03-18-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Double post.
Millions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #318
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Túrin Turambar

The Bond argument frankly pisses me off. If actors and characters are so interchangeable, why not reboot the Die Hard franchise with another actor? Or The Rocky films? Some things are just sacred. Just because the idea of the character was sold to Spielberg by way of Bond, or because the Young Indy TELEVISION SHOW (that was nowhere near the quality of the films) featured another actor playing a DIFFERENT VERSION of the character, it's no reason to serously consider a reboot/recast. It smacks of desperation even more than guys like me that want an Indy 5 and 6 with Ford. No one can do the role justice like Mr. Ford. Period.

Last edited by Indy's brother : 03-17-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #319
punisher5150
IndyFan

The Bond argument

is actually a very good one. When Lucas pitched the idea to Steven, he said he had an idea for his version of Bond - a treasure hunter serial-type series.
punisher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #320
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millions
Stop calling him Harry. It sounds ridiculous. You're not on some informal first name terms. You're a guy on a message board. Deal with it.

Only 23 post and already talking smack. He gets called Harry a lot around here. Deal with it newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5150
is actually a very good one. When Lucas pitched the idea to Steven, he said he had an idea for his version of Bond - a treasure hunter serial-type series.

I think he meant the action character angle, not the recastability. Harry made the films in my opinion and putting another actors in every role and constant reboots are a big reason why Hollywood is becoming a very uncreative place. Reboots are to make money not art. James Bond movies as of lately have been pretty good films but I find myself more and more uninterested in the series as the years go. I think they should wind down the Bond series as well.

Last edited by Henry W Jones : 03-17-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #321
Túrin Turambar

Its going to happen one day all about money, when we have new Indy Actor though, it is going to feel like a cheap rip off.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #322
replican't

Hugh Jackman
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #323
Kernunnos
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by replican't
Hugh Jackman

I think this is the best suggestion I've heard.

One thing's for sure though. If Indy is ever recast, it will be like seeing a new character. Nobody's ever going to successfully recreate the character as Harrison portrayed him.
Kernunnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #324
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernunnos
I think this is the best suggestion I've heard.

One thing's for sure though. If Indy is ever recast, it will be like seeing a new character. Nobody's ever going to successfully recreate the character as Harrison portrayed him.

They shouldn't try. If it is done, the next actor should do it their own way. Copying Harrison would definitely make it seem like a cheap knockoff. I think no matter what it is gonna be a cheap knockoff but copying Harrison would make it worse.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #325
Túrin Turambar

its a shame River phoenix would be 43 now, good age to have done another three films set before 1936.