TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #151
Mickiana
IndyFan

I don't care about the use of the term 'reboot'. I don't care what it's called. I just see it as Indiana Jones being able to grace our screens more than if we totally relied upon Harrison making more movies. I am proposing prequels, but that is a pragmatic term. Harrison is the standard and a high one. Does that mean we don't try to emulate him with another? If Harrison himself said he thought it was OK for another younger Indy to be created for future prequels, what would you think then? Or would he be wrong in breaking your orthodoxy? This post is not to anyone in particular. It is for all who oppose the idea of a different actor playing Indiana Jones.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #152
mikieson
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
I don't care about the use of the term 'reboot'. I don't care what it's called. I just see it as Indiana Jones being able to grace our screens more than if we totally relied upon Harrison making more movies. I am proposing prequels, but that is a pragmatic term. Harrison is the standard and a high one. Does that mean we don't try to emulate him with another? If Harrison himself said he thought it was OK for another younger Indy to be created for future prequels, what would you think then? Or would he be wrong in breaking your orthodoxy? This post is not to anyone in particular. It is for all who oppose the idea of a different actor playing Indiana Jones.

OK...find an actor that has the sarcasm down. Has the leading man down. Has the punch first ask questions later style. Someone that has that gritty,get dirty look. Someone that is a ladies man,without looking like a magazine model "twighlight fairy"..Give me someone that captures what Indy is. Someone that IS Indy. They would basically have to be H.F. AND H.F. WOULD have to give his graces in an interview "crowning" the new Indy..

Get all this together..Lets see the guy,hear the guy speak,interact with people...Lets see how he can "woooo" ladies..Everything would have to be spot on in order for my opinion to even start to change.
mikieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #153
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson
OK...find an actor that has the sarcasm down. Has the leading man down. Has the punch first ask questions later style. Someone that has that gritty,get dirty look. Someone that is a ladies man,without looking like a magazine model "twighlight fairy"..Give me someone that captures what Indy is. Someone that IS Indy. They would basically have to be H.F. AND H.F. WOULD have to give his graces in an interview "crowning" the new Indy..

Get all this together..Lets see the guy,hear the guy speak,interact with people...Lets see how he can "woooo" ladies..Everything would have to be spot on in order for my opinion to even start to change.

That's a bit extreme. He has to be Harrison? Dude, Harrison Ford is not the best actor of all time. He's replacable. And Harrison, if he's alive when a reboot is made, probably wouldn't care one way or another about "crowning" a new actor.

And an actor's interactions with people off screen should have no bearing on his "worthiness" to be Indy on screen.

The fact is, Indy has been played by 4 actors as it is: Ford, Phoenix, Flannery and Carrier.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #154
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
That's a bit extreme. He has to be Harrison? Dude, Harrison Ford is not the best actor of all time. He's replacable. And Harrison, if he's alive when a reboot is made, probably wouldn't care one way or another about "crowning" a new actor.

And an actor's interactions with people off screen should have no bearing on his "worthiness" to be Indy on screen.

The fact is, Indy has been played by 4 actors as it is: Ford, Phoenix, Flannery and Carrier.

Just because 5 people have played him has no bearing. (You forgot about George Hall and I'm sure there are others I'm missing) To me SPF is Henry Defense and not Indiana Jones. I like most of YIJC for what it is but I tend to like the younger years better than the SPF era as far as it feeling like Indiana Jones. The only performance of a young Indy that's worth much is River. He had the mannerizms of Harrison in LC. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. Just because Harrison is not the "best actor ever" doesn't change facts that there are nuances that Harrison adds to the role that will be sorely missed if Indy is rebooted with another actor. (The Indy smirk, the delivery of the sarcasm, ect) I can put a whip and a hat on. Does that qualify me to play Indiana Jones?
Though I would be perfect in the role

Last edited by Henry W Jones : 03-12-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #155
mikieson
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W Jones
Just because 5 people have played him has no bearing. (You forgot about George Hall and I'm sure there are others I'm missing) To me SPF is Henry Defense and not Indiana Jones. I like most of YIJC for what it is but I tend to like the younger years better than the SPF era as far as it feeling like Indiana Jones. The only performance of a young Indy that's worth much is River. He had the mannerizms of Harrison in LC. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. Just because Harrison is not the "best actor ever" doesn't change facts that there are nuances that Harrison adds to the role that will be sorely missed if Indy is rebooted with another actor. (The Indy smirk, the delivery of the sarcasm, ect) I can put a whip and a hat on. Does that qualify me to play Indiana Jones?
Though I would be perfect in the role

This pretty much sums up what im trying to convey..And also that reminds me of the part in Jurassic Park where they are going through and looking at how its all done and Eon says.."you were so busying thinking that it could be done, you werent thinking about if it should be done"...OR something to that effect.

YES someone else can play Indy..GO FOR IT..watch it fail..I really have nothing more to say on the subject as Im not getting my ideas across..
Old 03-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #156
mikieson
IndyFan

OH and all the Indy characteristics are not in script...they are in Harrison Ford..HE is what makes Indy...NOT everyone out there has the quality.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #157
Mickiana
IndyFan

I am understanding you guys. I'm just don't agree at all. I have the feeling I am being quite irreverent in my suggestions, in a sea of reverence that is. Yes, the Ford nuances and improvisations are many but not innumerable. Even young River nailed some of them in LC. To be honest, Harrison seems like an ordinary actor really. It wasn't until Raiders that he put a lot of effort in and expanded his emotional range. So obviously he has gone through a learning arc. Above all, a replacement actor will not be trying to be a facsimile of Harrison (as absolutely fantastic Harrison is!), but will capture a core semblance. I also keep in mind that all this is purely rumination and only reflects my personal wishes and may never occur in the real world.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #158
mikieson
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
I am understanding you guys. I'm just don't agree at all. I have the feeling I am being quite irreverent in my suggestions, in a sea of reverence that is. Yes, the Ford nuances and improvisations are many but not innumerable. Even young River nailed some of them in LC. To be honest, Harrison seems like an ordinary actor really. It wasn't until Raiders that he put a lot of effort in and expanded his emotional range. So obviously he has gone through a learning arc. Above all, a replacement actor will not be trying to be a facsimile of Harrison (as absolutely fantastic Harrison is!), but will capture a core semblance. I also keep in mind that all this is purely rumination and only reflects my personal wishes and may never occur in the real world.

Im not sure what River Phoenix did? He was "ok" but honestly we only seen a few minutes of him on screen. Would he have been good? I just cant say..Again, sure, anyone can take a stab at it..Who would you suggest? Just throw out 5 names of those people you think would do it.

And Harrison Ford not a good actor? I beg to differ. I think he does quite well. The best? Thats up to personal opinion and can range from anyone to Robert Patterson to Robert Deniro or Jim Carey..EVERYONE has their own personal favorites..

And you are right..this will probably NOT happen in our life times so really nothing for me to worry about..
Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #159
Mickiana
IndyFan

I did a search on IMDB of male actors 20 - 25 yo between 5'11" - 6'3" in order to see who is who. I don't keep up with popular culture so I don't know who is out there. A list came up with about 840 different guys. Most didn't have a picture with the name, so just looking at the thumbnail pics I clicked on ones that by sight might fit the bill. Don't know anything about acting ability but of course all of the actors' histories are there. Strangely, the first guy on the list seemed like a possibility: Liam Hemsworth. An Australian by birth born 1990. He is 6'3" which is fairly tall but too much so. He seems to be doing well in the US now. I didn't really have anyone in mind for Harry's replacement. I just liked the thought that he will be replaced for some prequel adventures to continue. I didn't mind the thought of Bradley Cooper or Eric Bana as candidates, but they are getting too old for my particular idea of getting someone young enough to grow up with through 4 or 5 movies. So, instead of 5 suggestions, there's one to start with.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #160
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Im not sure what River Phoenix did? He was "ok" but honestly we only seen a few minutes of him on screen. Would he have been good? I just cant say..Again, sure, anyone can take a stab at it..Who would you suggest? Just throw out 5 names of those people you think would do it.

And Harrison Ford not a good actor? I beg to differ. I think he does quite well. The best? Thats up to personal opinion and can range from anyone to Robert Patterson to Robert Deniro or Jim Carey..EVERYONE has their own personal favorites..

And you are right..this will probably NOT happen in our life times so really nothing for me to worry about..

Watch Rivers facial expressions, listen to his delivery of his lines. "Everyone's lost but me" He even does the smirk. You can tell he worked with and study Fords ways during the filming of Mosquito Coast.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #161
Raiders112390
IndyFan

It's pretty stupid to let a franchise which has tons of potential die off with an actor. Indy can be more than Harrison. And when he's gone, or when he cannot play it anymore, it should be. With newer writers, newer directors. Just stick to the groundwork for the character that was developed between 1978 and 1981 and get an actor who is pretty much a Cary Grant/Clark Gable/Humphrey Bogart clone like Harrison was and it'd work. It's not a role where the actor was some amazing method actor. It's not like remaking The Godfather, where Brando created the character (the look, the way he spoke, etc). Indy isn't about an actor or even the character in terms of backstory or whatever. Indiana Jones has parameters but it's more about a vicarious existence than a character, actor based piece. It could work fine without Harrison.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #162
mikieson
IndyFan

Quote:
It's pretty stupid to let a franchise which has tons of potential die off with an actor. Indy can be more than Harrison. And when he's gone, or when he cannot play it anymore, it should be. With newer writers, newer directors. Just stick to the groundwork for the character that was developed between 1978 and 1981 and get an actor who is pretty much a Cary Grant/Clark Gable/Humphrey Bogart clone like Harrison was and it'd work. It's not a role where the actor was some amazing method actor. It's not like remaking The Godfather, where Brando created the character (the look, the way he spoke, etc). Indy isn't about an actor or even the character in terms of backstory or whatever. Indiana Jones has parameters but it's more about a vicarious existence than a character, actor based piece. It could work fine without Harrison.
So...Brando made The Godfather, but HF didnt make Indy? Strange..AND for the record,...I found the Godfather movie to be BLAH!..Maybe in 100 years people will forget about HF being Indy..Then it will go over..BUT for now?..Not gonna happen.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #163
Finn

Quote:
Just stick to the groundwork for the character that was developed between 1978 and 1981 and get an actor who is pretty much a Cary Grant/Clark Gable/Humphrey Bogart clone like Harrison was and it'd work.
Disagree. Ford's performance is widely regarded as a key component to Indy's success up to this day. Okay, he may not be the greatest character actor around and might require the right role to truly shine - but Indy was definitely one of them. To claim that any square-jawed estrogen bait could pull that off is rather frivolous.

Though I do think that it's equally frivolous to claim that anybody but Ford couldn't pull it off. With the right face and right crew around him it would certainly be doable, be it in line with the original continuity or a reboot.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #164
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
So...Brando made The Godfather, but HF didnt make Indy? Strange..AND for the record,...I found the Godfather movie to be BLAH!..Maybe in 100 years people will forget about HF being Indy..Then it will go over..BUT for now?..Not gonna happen.

Brando created:
How Vito Corleone looked (It was his idea to add cotton balls to his cheeks to create the appearance of jowls, his idea to slick his hair back and long, his idea to grow the little mustache)
How Vito Corleone sounded (He listened to tapes of famous Mafia figures and created a composite of it in that raspy voice. His own idea, no input from anyone else).

The only major contribution HF made to the character of Indy in terms of who the character is is the Arab swordsman scene. He didn't design how Indy dressed or who Indy's personality was, etc. He didn't decide on the fedora and jacket.

And you finding The Godfather to be blah is just indicative of your taste, or lack thereof.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #165
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Disagree. Ford's performance is widely regarded as a key component to Indy's success up to this day. Okay, he may not be the greatest character actor around and might require the right role to truly shine - but Indy was definitely one of them. To claim that any square-jawed estrogen bait could pull that off is rather frivolous.

Though I do think that it's equally frivolous to claim that anybody but Ford couldn't pull it off. With the right face and right crew around him it would certainly be doable, be it in line with the original continuity or a reboot.

I just think it's more that the "persona" of Harrison Ford makes it seem like that. I think any just as skilled actor could make "Indy" and make it work. Not any square jawed handsome guy, but any guy with the square jawed look and the grit to back it up. Harrison is wooden. He plays the same guy in every movie.

If Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant or Gable or Ronald Coleman had been alive/young enough to play Indiana Jones, they'd have done just as good, if not better a job than Harrison.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #166
mikieson
IndyFan

Quote:
Brando created:
How Vito Corleone looked (It was his idea to add cotton balls to his cheeks to create the appearance of jowls, his idea to slick his hair back and long, his idea to grow the little mustache)
How Vito Corleone sounded (He listened to tapes of famous Mafia figures and created a composite of it in that raspy voice. His own idea, no input from anyone else).

The only major contribution HF made to the character of Indy in terms of who the character is is the Arab swordsman scene. He didn't design how Indy dressed or who Indy's personality was, etc. He didn't decide on the fedora and jacket.

And you finding The Godfather to be blah is just indicative of your taste, or lack thereof.

So you find that people having different taste in movies wrong? That right there tells me all i need to know about you..AND if im not mistaken HF did have some say so about the Indy character and some of the scenes..

The Godfather to me blows..its not my kind of movie no matter the praise it gets.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #167
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Not liking the Godfather is crazy (to each their own) but I do think saying Harrison has nothing to do with the way Indy is on screen is just as crazy. I have to agree with Finn on "Ford's performance is widely regarded as a key component to Indy's success up to this day". I don't believe that someone else "couldn't" play the role but it would not be an Indiana Jones film to me. While I have enjoyed a few non-Con-nery Bond films I still only see Sean as 007. I don't like other actors picking up roles that have already been done because it rarely works well. The only time it is acceptable is in a situation like Harry Potter while in the middle of telling a huge story one of your actor dies and they are crucial to the storyline. I hate the new voice work on the Muppets cuz it doesn't sound like the original cast so continuity is very important to me. I would like to see one more Ford film and then see Indy be a silver screen legend that other movie series aspire to be in the future. I love the character but to me doing earlier stories should have been done a long time ago when Ford had a little more youth on his side.

Last edited by Henry W Jones : 03-14-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #168
mikieson
IndyFan

never watched them, but didnt the National Treasure movies get good reviews? IF SO then Nicholas Cage can be our new Indy..

Just give me one more film with HF as Indy and you people can make whatever other Indy films you want. Just dont expect the true fans to follow along.Wont happen.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #169
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
never watched them, but didnt the National Treasure movies get good reviews? IF SO then Nicholas Cage can be our new Indy..

Just give me one more film with HF as Indy and you people can make whatever other Indy films you want. Just dont expect the true fans to follow along.Wont happen.

That would be funny!!! All the lines would be whispered or yelled.
Also the Nation Treasure movies were decent but they were a little too Disney.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #170
Mickiana
IndyFan

The Harrison worship is strong! I suppose it can come within the compass of being a fan.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #171
Finn

Quote:
Just dont expect the true fans to follow along.
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #172
Hanselation
IndyFan

Always there will be only one original: Ford is Indiana Jones
And he would be still believable as Action Hero (Picture from the Golden Globes 2012)

Anything else will just be a copy. Maybe a good one, but never as good as the original.
Hanselation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #173
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanselation
Always there will be only one original: Ford is Indiana Jones
And he would be still believable as Action Hero (Picture from the Golden Globes 2012)

Anything else will just be a copy. Maybe a good one, but never as good as the original.

SEAN CONNERY IS JAMES BOND. ANYONE ELSE IS JUST A COPY.

And by the way, Harrison looks like a wrinkled old lady nowadays.

The fact is, he turned in an odd, off performance in KOTCS. He's going to be 70 soon. He's too old, for one. And someday, he'll die. And a franchise, an idea as great as Indiana Jones shouldn't die with Harrison Ford. That's ridiculous.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #174
mikieson
IndyFan

Someone better clone HF cause take my word..Indiana Jones will die when HF does..He is the only choice..now raise your guns and show your support!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #175
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Someone better clone HF cause take my word..Indiana Jones will die when HF does..He is the only choice..now raise your guns and show your support!!!

Harrison Ford is the greatest actor in the history of cinema. There is no one who can even star in adventure films. Nope. He is better than Bogart, Connery, John Wayne, Gable and Brando all combined. No actor, past, present, or future can match Harrison's sweet, delicious greatness.