Indiana Jones and the Quest for the References

tupogirl

Avilos said:
I don't blame you! This will sound really cheesy and overtly sentimental but I feel like this was a gift to people like us. Those who have enjoyed and defended the show all these years. The reason for that conversation was to impress Mutt with how cool a life Indy has lead. They could have created a new story but they choose a tribute to the show!

I seriously feel like George Lucas just gave me a hug! I was sitting there, trying to silently clap my hands. I think the girl next to me was whispering to her boyfriend about me. But I am paranoid like that! LOL.

I thought the bike really looked like Indy's Verdun courier bike, plus I think that ties in with LC as well. We know Indy is comfortable on one!

I *swear* Spalko says something almost word for word from Luceno's book 'the Mata Hari Affair', which I just ordered off of ebay. I will check when I get it!

I thought the diner/malt shop was a nice throwback to Indy's high school days working in one. I need to watch that episode again and check.

I thought it was interesting that Indy had been with the Russians at such a pertinent time of their history, their revolution, and then you see 'Dead is better then red' signs. Plus Spalko mentions her Lenin awards, and he saw Lenin speak.

University of Chicago reference with Oxley.

And DEIDRE was mentioned!! Oh I just about fell out of my seat for that one:).

The dropping out of high school conversations, BWAHAHA! That cracked me up.

blueoakleyz

I liked the reference in one way

but in another irritated, because now I"ll have to watch those shows if they're canon. I thought they were boring as hell

Nurhachi1991

blueoakleyz said:
I liked the reference in one way

but in another irritated, because now I"ll have to watch those shows if they're canon. I thought they were boring as hell

The shows were great man what are you talking about?

The only referance that bugged me was the Ark I was like

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blueoakleyz

Nurhachi1991 said:

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I've seen two. One was the one with the blues, and I was bored out of my mind. I forgot the other. Please tell me the others are more exciting

YOU DIDN"T LIKE THE ARK REFERENCE?????????????????

tupogirl

blueoakleyz said:
I think I've seen two. One was the one with the blues, and I was bored out of my mind. I forgot the other. Please tell me the others are more exciting

YOU DIDN"T LIKE THE ARK REFERENCE?????????????????

Mexico is rather exciting and I think for this KotCS, this is the only one you would really maybe need to watch. Although Petrograd is good, I like it quite a bit.

SPECTER

Nurhachi1991 said:

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW me and everyone in my theater loved the ark part. you should have heard everyone.

Crack that whip

I more or less knew the Ark was going to be here; what surprised me was that it turned out to just be a reference and nothing more. I somewhat expected the storyline to actually really involve the Ark as well as crystal skulls, aliens, etc. - I thought this would be a Multiple Main MacGuffins story.

TalonCard

tupogirl said:
And DEIDRE was mentioned!! Oh I just about fell out of my seat for that one:).

Wait, what? When?

ValenciaGrail said:
A minor disappointment / gripe which is mostly "reference" related:
The crystal skull(s) in Indy 4 were NOT the same as the recurring crystal skull MacGuffin in the Max McCoy novel sequence.
So creating an Indy 4 story in a manner which honors continunity with the novels was clearly not a priority.
I have enjoyed thinking of the books as canon, but now it's more difficult to do that...
<insert sad violin music here> :(
I have read and enjoyed dozens of Star Wars EU novels, and overall the continuity has been pretty good, and enhanced my overall GFFA experience.

If you've been keeping up with the Star Wars novels, then you ought to be used to this sort of thing by now. ;) Jedi with children? Boba Fett as a Journeyman Protector from Concord Dawn? The Imperial navy fighting against crazy clones in the Clone Wars? All this needs is a continuity fix--the novels have to be brought in line with the films, not the other way around.

The Young Indy TV series never kept continuity with the novels anyway--and vice versa, for the most part.

TC

James

Jeeh said:
I'm fairly sure the UFO in the end had some resemblance to the UFO in Close Encounters, apart from being .. round. Might not be a reference though.

I think that was probably a reference to Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers more than anything else. I'm not sure how I felt about seeing the alien come alive, but I loved that shot of Indy watching the saucer.

Crack that whip said:
I more or less knew the Ark was going to be here; what surprised me was that it turned out to just be a reference and nothing more. I somewhat expected the storyline to actually really involve the Ark as well as crystal skulls, aliens, etc. - I thought this would be a Multiple Main MacGuffins story.

Same here. I initially thought the Ark might somehow tie in to the prophecy of the crystal skulls. Then I wondered if they would be going after the Ark, and somehow stumble onto Roswell. I did like the misdirection of that opening scene, though. When they finally opened the crate, I overheard several mumbles of, "What is that?" I think everyone was expecting the Ark.

Yure

A nice reference was right at the start. You can see a sign that says "Atomic Cafe".

Atomic Cafe is a cult montage documentary on the 50s and the nuclear-propaganda-scare-cold war-era.

Jeeh

Second time I saw it I tried to look for some references around his house.

I'm not perfectly sure, but at some point he's standing next to this little table with I think a lamp on it. Next to the lamp is a picture and I'm like 70% sure it's the pictures of a young Indy with his dad, the same picture we saw in TLC.
It's a bit hard to see though, since part of the picture is covered with the lamp standing in front of it.

Maybe someone can look into it?

Junior Jones

Jeeh said:
I'm not perfectly sure, but at some point he's standing next to this little table with I think a lamp on it. Next to the lamp is a picture and I'm like 70% sure it's the pictures of a young Indy with his dad, the same picture we saw in TLC.
It's a bit hard to see though, since part of the picture is covered with the lamp standing in front of it.

I noticed that, too. I'm pretty sure its the same picture.

Adamwankenobi

tupogirl said:
The dropping out of high school conversations, BWAHAHA! That cracked me up.

It's an interesting parallel to the fact that Indy drops out of high school in YIJC, and pursues his goals and interests (first WWI, and then archaeology at the University of Chicago).

Lambonius

The Grail is in the film!!

In one of the interior house shots from Doom Town, the LC Grail prop is sitting on a bookshelf in the background. I have to see the movie again to confirm this, but I'm almost 100% positive it was THE Grail prop! I about crapped my pants when I noticed it!

ValenciaGrail

Here?s a few more:

- The Ark Theme kicks in just as the gates to Hangar 51 were opened

- The use of the Henry Jones Sr / Grail theme at various points ? and toward the end of KOTCS it was used for Indy & Mutt just as it was for Henry & Indy in LC

- In LC, Indy and his dad have a new start to their relationship after hardly speaking for 20 years, while Indy has a new start as a father to a son he didn?t know he had for 20 years

- Note that the Indiana took the dog?s name rather than his given name of Henry ?.and note that his son took the name ?Mutt? (?also a dog?s name) rather than his given name of Henry

- Mutt?s Tarzan sequence was a reprise of Henry Sr?s maneuver with the seagulls in LC: ??let my armies be the birds in the sky?? except the monkeys took the place of the seagulls.

- Indy picks up the hat after the ants conveniently leave it behind ?similar to the serendipitous gust of wind in LC

Avilos

Someone wrote this on the trivia section of IMDB -

In the scene at Marshall College, pictures of the stones from ?the Temple of Doom? can be seen on a blackboard, along with some of the names of characters associated with the stones.

Of course being on IMDB does not make it true. Anyone know if it is? I wish I knew about this before I saw it again tonight.

Stoo

Avilos said:
Someone wrote this on the trivia section of IMDB -
Quote:
In the scene at Marshall College, pictures of the stones from ?the Temple of Doom? can be seen on a blackboard, along with some of the names of characters associated with the stones.

Of course being on IMDB does not make it true. Anyone know if it is? I wish I knew about this before I saw it again tonight.
There are tons of stuff written on the blackboard. It will be fun investigating this...
Did anyone notice Professor Jones' homework assignment? It was Michaelson (sp) chapters!