Hemble's Custom Indy Stuff 01/07/09

hemble

Hi All

Sorry guys have been very busy doing some huge projects and by all means hijack the thread whenever you guys like especially with great looking figures that you have shown.

Ron

hemble

Hi All

Completed this project the other day and finally took pics and a video enjoy and as always commenst welcomed.

RECIPE

1: Indiana Jones - The whole figure except the fedora is from Sideshow Toys and the hat is from The frontline custom head. I wanted to have a little fun with this so I added the Grail Cup, Coronado Cross which are from the Hasbro 3-3/4" figures the gold idol is from Sideshow Toys and the Sankara Stone is also from The frontline custom head .

2: Base - The base is frame is made up of balsa wood and foam core sheets. Once I got the desired look I used thin sheets of foam to cover the base and once dry I used superglue to dissovle the foam to give it a weatherd look.

When the base was ready I drilled holes in the top for the speakers and also the switch, I then covered the whole base in a two part mix of plaster of paris and woodglue. When the base dried I pulled apart the Hasbro 12" Talking Indy figure and attached the battery unit, speaker and switch the bottom of the base.

The snakes are are from a $2 shop and repainted them the bushes are from Woodland Scenics and the Indy logo is from the internet and has been printed off and cut out.

video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEkuiwYN7nY

ti1.jpg

ti2.jpg

ti3.jpg

ti4.jpg

ti5.jpg

ti7.jpg

ti10.jpg

hemble

Hi All

Thanks guys realy glad you liked and Kevin if I remember correctly he did a small run of the Sankara Stone, Holy Grail and Stone Tablet. I got a few Sankara Stones awhile back when I ordered a few resin fedora's of him.

Ron

hemble

Hi All

Damn an Indy update enjoy and as always comments welcome.

I had this figure partially done and decided to complete him while having small breaks from other work that I am doing and after getting inspired by all the execellent Indy customs over at the sideshow Indiana jones forum section.

RECIPE

1: Satipo - The head is from the 12" Doc Ock figure and the body and hands are from Soldier Story, the shoes, trousers and belt and holster are from Sideshow ROTLA Indy.

The jacket (WW2) and singlet (Modern) are from Dragon, I used model knife and heavy grade sandpaper to give the jacket a really worn feel and did the same to the pants but only minor worn feel.

2: Basket and Equipment - I got frustrated trying to find a cane basket so I made my own it's not movie accurate but I think it came out really well.
I used a toilet roll and cut to size and then used packing string (the white type), I wrapped it around the roll and then used PVA/woodglue to keep it inplace.

The carry brace was made from balsa wood and the shoulder straps are from my 1/6 bits box, the inner lining of the basket was done using left over material and glued inplace.
Some of the utensils are from some Geman WW2 food canisters and wattle bottle, the cup is from a WW2 figure and the pan or skillet is made from a Games Workshop paint lid and plasti card.

The bed roll is again left over material and tied up using model Ship sailing robe. The torches are made using handles from two German intrenching tools.
The torch section themselves are from old plastic model knife containers that you get the spare blades in and the interior of the torches are pieces of plasticard and tissue paper.

3: Base - The base is a Indiana Jones stand and has plater of Pris and sculpty clay added for the ground work, the soil is mulched up dirt/bark from the garden and the plants are from the local pet shop.

Once I was happy with the overall look and feel I used Vallejo, Reaper, GW paints and chalk pastels to paint and weather the entire thing.

Ron

so1.jpg

so2.jpg

so3.jpg

so4.jpg

so9.jpg

so10.jpg

Montana Smith

Another triumph, Ron!

I don't know how you can ever bear to part with your creations.

Who was the maker of the 12" Doc Ock figure?

Stoo

Absolutey amazing, Ron! Nice work on the basket & paraphenalia and you did a great job scuffing up the clothes. Very authentic looking. The opening 13 minutes of "Raiders" is my favourite part from all the Indy movies so this is a pleasure to see! Thumbs up, mate.(y)

hemble

Hi All

Montana Smith - Thanks buddy and the head is from Toy Biz I think, and yeah it can be difficult to part with the customs but sometimes I need to make room for more projects.

Stoo - Cheers buddy and I remember wanting to go and see TESB for the second time but my older and younger brother wanted to see raiders. I remember sitting there really pivved off until the birds flew out of the statues mouth then that was it I was hooked(y)

Ron

hemble

Hi All

Well I put the 1/6 boulder chase dio on hold for a short period and started another indy 1/6 project, this time the entrance to the Map Romm from ROTLA. This is a WIP and here is what I have done so far enjoy and lmk what you think.

The first 4 pics so the frame work which is foamcore for the sides which will be built up more using balsa wood and some scrap foam I got from work.

Once I got the angle I wanted I then drew a rough outline of teh size of the entrance using a perm marker. I then used superglue and traced around the marker and the superglue ate into the foam leaving an impression in the foam.

I used pottery clay called DAS clay here in Australia to build up the stone work and once I was done I used a sandstone to make impression into the clay to simulate the stone.

mr1.jpg

mr2-1.jpg

mr3-1.jpg

mr4-1.jpg

As you can see by the close up the sandstone really gives a great realistic stone look when pressed into the clay, and next to that is the stone I used.

I have also done the barricade that stops any small rocks or sand falling into the area, this was made by using balsa wood for the wooden blanks and dried tree branches from the back yard.

The bolts are pieces of plasti card which were inserted after drilling holes and then using a hot screw driver the tips were pressed down to simulate the bolts.

mr5-1.jpg

mr6-1.jpg

mr7-1.jpg

I picked ip a Sallah outfit from a great guy called Deniz from the Sideshow forums and here is the link to his site http://www.d-artstudios.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. He also does other outfit. I also just wanted to show the scale with the figure added.

mr8.jpg

The shovel is from the bits box and is an American trench shovel I cut of the small handle and used a skew stick and drilled into the shovel and glue and inserted the stick.

mr8.jpg

The staff of Ra is again a skew stick with a 1/35 scale resin tank shell attached and the the top was cut and sanded to allow the medallion (medicom) to either be removed and kept in place.

mr9.jpg

mr10.jpg

The torch is made from thin decorative sticks that you get from furniture places they sit in pots/vases that sought of thing. I cut them to size and then used model ship rope to tie them all together I have made 3 of these already for other project and they are really easy to make.

mr11.jpg

Ron

hemble

Hi All

Well here is a little update just some plaster and paint added. The pics from left to right is the order I did them in.

Pic 1: I used plaster of paris and fine washed river sand and PVA/Woodglue and mixed it all together. Once all parts were mixed add the water until you come up with a mixture that is soft but not runny.

While the mixture is drying I got a wide brush and dipped it in water and lightly stroked it over the mixture to tone down the clumps. Finally I got a pair of SS Indy shoes and started pushing them into the almost dried mixture.

Pic 2: Once the mixture has completely dried I painted it using Vallejo's Beige Brown.

Pic 3: I then used Vallejo's Desert Yellow and dried brushed over the top of the Beige Brown. I did in total 4 coats of dry brushing.

Pic 4: I then used Vallejo's Dark Sand and gave it 4 coats. Also the stone was given a drybrush of Games Workshop's Snake Bite Leather then Beastial Brown.

Ron

mr12.jpg

mr13.jpg

mr14.jpg

mr15.jpg

Canyon

Absolutely magnificent work, Ron!!! (y) (y) (y)

The one with the Coronado going down is definately one of my favourites! (y)

It's wonderful to see that you're doing Indy action figures outside of the triology.

One figure that I would love to see are an Indy from the Max McCoy novel The Dinosaur Eggs, with Loki (the one eared German Shepherd that he befrends). If you need any more suggestions, I have tons of them. (y)

Awesome work!!! (y) (y) (y)

hemble

Hi All

throwmetheidol - Thanks Les and damn you make me laugh mate, the dio itself is actually very light weight only about 2 kilos;) ;)

Canyon - Mate thanks for the comment and by all means send any suggestions you want. I actually want to do a dio with Indy from a comic cover where he is on a destroyed part of a wooden ship with a large tenctacle of a octupus coming out of the water.

Ron

Canyon

You mean this cover which is also from Shrine of the Sea Devil.

shrine_of_the_sea_devil.jpg

That would be awesome to see! (y)

hemble

Hi All

Yeah mate that is the one when I saw that I knew staright away I have to make it. I want to do it in 1/6 scale but haven't decided how to do the tenticle yet.

Ron

hemble

Hi All

Lance Quazar - Thanks mate and here is some more WIP pics.

Well finally got the barbed wire and posts done and I'm very happy with the way it they turned out.

A BIG SAFETY WARNING GUYS
Be very careful if you do attempt this one day as the barbed wire will cut and injure you if you don't be careful as it is actually real barbed wire just on a smaller scale.

THE POSTS
The posts were done using an old metal coat hanger there not either movie or history accurate which is ok by me. To make them I got to 2 pairs of pliers and a thick metal tube and twisted them aroung the metal tube until I was happy with the amount of twist there was.

Then I got the pliers and stretched the wire until I had the length I wanted and teh made a loop on one end for the wire to go thru.

THE BARBED WIRE
The wire was made by getting some thin wire from the hardware shop I then got a piece of coat hanger and made a hook in one end and then attached that to my drill.

I then got about a 1-1/2 metres of thin wire and folded it to the end and then wrapped it around a draw handle. I then got the end that had the bend in it and attached that to the make shift coat hanger hook which is was attached to the drill and started pressing the trigger until I was happy with the tightness.

Once the wire was done I measured out 3cm lengths were I had to attached the barbs and cut out 53 x 10cm lengths of wire to start doing the barbs.

With the barbs I just twisted around the main wire about 4 times and then once that was done pressed the barbs in place with some small pliers and cut of the remaining pieces a few millmeteres away from the main wire and there you go brabed wire.

mr16.jpg

mr17.jpg

mr18.jpg

mr19.jpg