Belloq Swallows a Bug

Henry W Jones said:
Yeah I figured it out in the 80's the fly flew away not in his mouth
Funny thing, I still see stories repeating this and most recently of Lash LaRue teaching Harrison how to use a bullwhip...what a bunch of malarkey!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Funny thing, I still see stories repeating this and most recently of Lash LaRue teaching Harrison how to use a bullwhip...what a bunch of malarkey!

I thought it was Danny La Rue who taught Indy how to beat the Germans? :confused:

OURMISSFREDQUAD.jpg

As for Lash, it's still there right at the top of his wiki page:

Alfred "Lash" LaRue (June 15, 1921[1]–May 21, 1996) was a popular western motion picture star of the 1940s and 1950s. He had exceptional skill with the bull whip, and taught Harrison Ford how to use a bullwhip in the Indiana Jones movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lash_LaRue

The Character

this has been covered a lot in the documentaries .. Michael Khan (?) the editor deliberately cut out the few frames where the fly flew off .... no one was bothered and they thought it added to Belloqs 'evilness'

Stoo

The Character said:
this has been covered a lot in the documentaries ..
Hi, The Character. It "has been covered a lot"?:confused: Which documentaries are you referring to?

The Character

The last DVD release in the UK came with an extra disk of special features ....

and im pretty sure its mentioned in the complete making of book as well ..... by Paul Freeman.

funny enough i the UK we have 'Eccles' cakes which are also reffered to as dead fly pie ..... maybe 'Bell-osh!' lol would like those too?

Montana Smith

The Character said:
funny enough i the UK we have 'Eccles' cakes which are also reffered to as dead fly pie ..... maybe 'Bell-osh!' lol would like those too?

I always knew the Eccles as the 'squashed fly cake', but 'dead fly pie' has a nice ring to it!

And don't forget the Chorley cake also has it's fly quotient! :D

Stoo

The Character said:
The last DVD release in the UK came with an extra disk of special features ....

and im pretty sure its mentioned in the complete making of book as well ..... by Paul Freeman.
Well, 2 sources is hardly what one would call 'a lot' but I won't dwell on that, The Character.:) What year was the last UK DVD release and is the extra disc much different to the Bonus Materials DVD from the 2003 boxed set?:confused: It's been a while since I've watched mine but I don't recall any discussions regarding the fly.
Montana Smith said:
And don't forget the Chorley cake also has it's fly quotient! :D
Is that anything like Crunchy Frog?;)

Dr. Gonzo

I always thought he actually swallowed the bug and just kept going... until I read this thread today. That's funny, I've shown it to friends and they were impressed. "Damn! Freeman can stay in character all right!"

I thought that maybe being the film buff Spielberg is, he was inspired by this scene from Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RupWSnWKD4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They put honey on Elam's lips to attract the fly. Thought they did the same in Raiders.
Now I find out it was just coincidence and editing fun.
Learn something new everyday. True.

EvilEmperorZoRG

ForbiddenEye said:
now THAT is ACTING! Amazing how he never even flinches! Quite an actor.
(y)

Indeed, when vilains where better than the main protagonist ;) A great actor!

I noticed the fly a long time ago. I remember being mentioned somewhere on the DVDs too. The only version I own is this one released in 2003
http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Indiana_Jones

I'm not sure though, maybe I saw it somewhere on Youtube.

Stoo

EvilEmperorZoRG said:
Indeed, when vilains where better than the main protagonist ;) A great actor!
Paul Freeman is a fine actor but the fly did NOT go into his mouth. (Maybe you didn't read all of the posts, ZoRG?:confused:)
Dr. Gonzo said:
I always thought he actually swallowed the bug and just kept going... until I read this thread today. That's funny, I've shown it to friends and they were impressed. "Damn! Freeman can stay in character all right!"

I thought that maybe being the film buff Spielberg is, he was inspired by this scene from Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RupWSnWKD4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They put honey on Elam's lips to attract the fly. Thought they did the same in Raiders.
Now I find out it was just coincidence and editing fun.
Learn something new everyday. True.
Nice compliment to the subject and a great movie, to boot. Glad you finally saw this thread, Gonzo, because it's more than 6 years old!:)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Belloq is cooler than Barack

Obama_fly_2010_2461812c.jpg

While this is a still image, this is the 2nd time during press that the Lord of the Flies has been surrounded by a pest. Both times he loses his cool and swats the offender away.