Soundtracks?

Matinee Idyll

I adore the music in the series, it's pretty generic and in parts rips large sections from other composers (Holst, Vaughan Williams, etc) but there are some wonderful cues.

I know Varese Sarabande released 3 or 4 volumes of soundtracks, if anyone has one or all of them - and wouldn't mind uploading them for me, could you drop me an email? matineeidyll129 at gmail.com

I'm particularly looking for the London and Verdun music, but it's all good!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Matinee Idyll said:
I adore the music in the series, it's pretty generic and in parts rips large sections from other composers (Holst, Vaughan Williams, etc) but there are some wonderful cues.

I know Varese Sarabande released 3 or 4 volumes of soundtracks, if anyone has one or all of them - and wouldn't mind uploading them for me, could you drop me an email? matineeidyll129 at gmail.com

Thanks everyone!

I see 'em cheap on eBay all the time. ;)

Matinee Idyll said:
Australian ebay?

Ebay's international, bro. ;) Paypal and/or International Money Orders solve the payment issue. I buy overseas all the time from eBay. Been looking at importing a Shivers daybill from Australia, actually...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I have them, but I'm a rookie when it comes to uploading...
Here's a special message in the disc 4 liner notes.
Over the past three years, I've had the honor of working with two extraordinarily talented and dedicated artists on "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." Joel McNeely and Laurence Rosenthal composed film scores for over 25 episodes which ranged from comedy and romance to adventure and tragedy. My idea was to create a quality series which promoted an understanding of other cultures by highlighting the people and events that shaped world history. Music played an integral role as it had to reflect the ethnic culture and time period of the various episodes. Joel and Larry composed scores which included music reminiscent of Strauss waltzes in "Vienna, 1908," indigenous folk tunes in "Ireland, 1916," Middle Eastern modes in "Istanbul, 1918," and flamenco in "Barcelona, 1918." I am extremely proud of the series and feel that Joel and Larry far exceeded all my expectations. I extend my heartfelt appreciation to them for their invaluable contributions.
— George Lucas January 1994

Depends on what you think is cheap. I've only got 1,2,3 and each one cost about $20. I was trying to get 4, but the last one went for $80.

Crack that whip

Matinee Idyll said:

Oh, it's better than that! Honestly, I think this show has some of the best original scoring of any hourlong narrative television series.

Matinee Idyll said:

Thanks everyone!

Yes, there are four volumes, all sadly out of print now, alas. Vol. 1 has selections from Verdun, Vol. 2 from London.

Though all four volumes are out of print, a small snippet from the Peking 1910 episode appears on disc 2 of the Varèse Sarabande 25th Anniversary 4-disc anthology, which is still available directly from them - slightly pricey for just that one track if it's really all you want, but a steal of a deal considering all the other music there, too, for those of us into film scores. Or, if one really wants just that one track and can use the iTunes Store and is open to doing so, one can scoop up that ~6 minutes of Young Indy scoring for 99¢ here.

With the general wave of new activity around all things Indy in general and the DVD release of The (Adventures of) Young Indiana Jones (Chronicles) in particular, I'd like to think there's a chance of the four soundtrack volumes being reissued (or even some additional ones being released), but we'll see.

I certainly hope everyone who wants this music can get it - Idyll, we'll have to see what we can do for you. :)

Adamwankenobi

Crack that whip said:
With the general wave of new activity around all things Indy in general and the DVD release of The (Adventures of) Young Indiana Jones (Chronicles) in particular, I'd like to think there's a chance of the four soundtrack volumes being reissued (or even some additional ones being released), but we'll see.

But it would no doubt be advertised as something like "music composed for The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones". :rolleyes:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Rapidshare won't take the files I made. Megaupload will but slows and stops.
Any tips?

fommes

I've got all four soundtracks and I recommend them very highly. They're amongst my favourite scores and they're more than good enough to seek out the originals on eBay or something. The production is top-notch and there are liner notes by the composers.
Two of my absolute favourites are McNeely's Verdun and Rosenthal's Barcelona.
There's also a 'promo' of the Transylvania score by Curt Sobel.

I really hope that with the DVD releases and the renewed interest, Varèse Sarabande or perhaps Intrada will be able to release the complete scores to the series (or at least a few additional volumes...).

I don't know about how the Indy community in general feels about this though - is more music from this series much requested?

Crack that whip

fommes said:
I don't know about how the Indy community in general feels about this though - is more music from this series much requested?

Everyone's different, and the amount of score that would need to be released to satisfy a fan undoubtedly varies widely from one fan to another. Personally, I'd buy every last note of music composed and recorded for or used in the movies and the TV shows, but that's me. I know there are other fans who aren't interested in the soundtracks at all, as bizarre as that seems to me.

Stoo

The scores are simply amazing and are true compliments to the show. Picking out a favourite piece is a difficult task.
They are superbly, sumptious and evocative...but I've never owned the CDs! In the mid-'90s, I saw them all at HMV
and should've bought them on the spot but didn't (silly me). Anyway, I've been watching the entire, original series on
my VHS tapes for years, so I've extremely familiar with the music.

When I go to Paris, the theme from "September 1908" sometimes plays in the back of my head. I love the subtle nuances
of "Raiders" music that are occassionally slipped in here and there. ("Phantom Train" when they discover the German hideout
and "Peacock's Eye" when Indy & Remy enter the temple).

I must say, the sound quality on the new DVDs are a vast improvement over my TV recordings. Even though, the show was
broadcast in stereo (one of the first), the DVD music really stands out and is brimming with clarity. The extended beginning
of "British East Africa" on "Passion for Life" is excellent! I can't help blasting the sound when it starts.

On Volume 2, are there tracks of the African vocals from "British East Africa"?
I'm pretty sure this is Ladysmith Black Mombazo and (if it is) have always wondered
if these were previously released songs or were they done specifically for the show.

Crack that whip

Heh. I think I'm just going to have to go through each soundtrack alongside all the DVDs and my ancient homemade tapes of the broadcasts (assuming they're still playable), and try to put together an annotated tracklist, aren't I?

I'll try to do it, but I do warn you, I'm one notorious procrastinator (not to mention simply not having nearly enough time to do everything I want to do, alas)...

Stoo

Please do, when you have the time! It'd be very interesting.
(Oh..and I know what you mean about procrastination!:))

So, how about Ladysmith Black Mombazo? Are they on Volume 2?

Crack that whip

Afraid not, sorry; it's just orchestral score, though it does have a lot of African "flavoring," and authentic percussion by a noted musician from Ghana, C. K. Ladzepko. Rosenthal also notes in the liner notes he based some of the tunes in the score on African folklore.

Flannery10

What is the title of the song used, when Indy vistis Stroheim in his mansion and chrous is singing for the director?
I know I've heard it somewhere before, but where?

Stoo

Yes! That's Carl Orff's, "O Fortuna", from his oeuvre, "Carmina Burana".
Excellent and famous piece!

Where have you heard it before? Everywhere! Films, "Old Spice" deodorant commercials...
It's used very effectively in "Excalibur" after Arthur drinks from the Grail. The land is being
reborn while his knights ride toward battle and "O Fortuna" is blaring triumphantly loud!