Young Indy DVD Qeustions

IndyFan89

Ok so i got Volume one and i'm loving every second of it. I'm on the last disk.

Here's some qeustions for the YIJ vets:

Why is "The Curse of the Jackal" called "My First Adventure"?

Did each episode always have two parts?

It seems like there are two diffrent actors who play Indy (Age 11) and Henry, am i going crazy?

Why in one episode do they call young Indy "Henry" (or Junior) and the next they're calling him "Indy"? (Why don't they explain how they started calling him the dogs name?)

Why does Indy "hate snakes" in Africa but he dosen't mind them in Utah? (untill his little acident)

Why did they cut out the "Old Indy" introductions?

Is it me or is something missing in the DVD that might have been there in the original's?

I love these adventures but it seems like they're alittle to educational, i want to see Indy not Piccaso or Tolstoy. They don't focus on Indy's origan (wich is why i'm watching), but on historic figuers.

I want to see how Indy and Sallah became freinds or when Indy and Marion first seen each other, or maybe why he started doning the Fedora (The thing the YIJ has is not a fed imo)

Why does Lucas have to play around with evreything? :confused:

sunshinestate1992

IndyFan89 said:
Ok so i got Volume one and i'm loving every second of it. I'm on the last disk.

Here's some qeustions for the YIJ vets:

It seems like there are two diffrent actors who play Indy (Age 11) and Henry, am i going crazy?

Why in one episode do they call young Indy "Henry" (or Junior) and the next they're calling him "Indy"? (Why don't they explain how they started calling him the dogs name?)

Why does Indy "hate snakes" in Africa but he dosen't mind them in Utah? (untill his little acident)

Is it me or is something missing in the DVD that might have been there in the original's?

I love these adventures but it seems like they're alittle to educational, i want to see Indy not Piccaso or Tolstoy. They don't focus on Indy's origan (wich is why i'm watching), but on historic figuers.

I want to see how Indy and Sallah became freinds or when Indy and Marion first seen each other, or maybe why he started doning the Fedora (The thing the YIJ has is not a fed imo)

Why does Lucas have to play around with evreything? :confused:
i haev a childrens book where it shows how indy meets sallah

he takes camels haha in one part

NoCamels

salussolia said:
i haev a childrens book where it shows how indy meets sallah

he takes camels haha in one part

I like that book...it was also one of the few Young Indy books my local library ever had. It does explain how Sallah and Indy meet, and if I remember correctly, why Indy hates camels....

Does anyone know the exact title of that book, by the way?

My guess about the snakes is either by Utah maybe he's started to outgrow his fear of snakes or that he doesn't mind them too much anymore and so he's being tough in front of his friend. I don't like spiders and once at camp our tent was filled with spiders. Since no one else would do anything, I had to get rid of the spiders. I no longer mind spiders as much, but if I had fallen into a pit of spiders....well, things might be different! ;)

metalinvader

"Why is "The Curse of the Jackal" called "My First Adventure"?"
These are the edited TV movies,All with new titles.

"Did each episode always have two parts?"
Nope,See above

"It seems like there are two diffrent actors who play Indy (Age 11) and Henry, am i going crazy?"
Nope,Just filmed three years apart,At least I think it was three years:)

"Why in one episode do they call young Indy "Henry" (or Junior) and the next they're calling him "Indy"? (Why don't they explain how they started calling him the dogs name?)"
Indy is only really introducing him self as Indy to his friends.He is being called Henry by adults.

"Why does Indy "hate snakes" in Africa but he dosen't mind them in Utah? (untill his little acident)"
He out grew it,I guess...

"Why did they cut out the "Old Indy" introductions?"
I really,Really wish I knew.I'd love to have those back.

"I love these adventures but it seems like they're alittle to educational, i want to see Indy not Piccaso or Tolstoy. They don't focus on Indy's origan (wich is why i'm watching), but on historic figuers."
The point of the Young Indy series was to teach history.Indy just so happens to be at all these historic events:p

"Why does Lucas have to play around with evreything?"
God only knows,my friends.....

sunshinestate1992

NoCamels said:
I like that book...it was also one of the few Young Indy books my local library ever had. It does explain how Sallah and Indy meet, and if I remember correctly, why Indy hates camels....

Does anyone know the exact title of that book, by the way?

My guess about the snakes is either by Utah maybe he's started to outgrow his fear of snakes or that he doesn't mind them too much anymore and so he's being tough in front of his friend. I don't like spiders and once at camp our tent was filled with spiders. Since no one else would do anything, I had to get rid of the spiders. I no longer mind spiders as much, but if I had fallen into a pit of spiders....well, things might be different! ;)
the title is young indy and the tomb of terror

i have it right here

Adamwankenobi

IndyFan89 said:

In Africa, he merely says that he "hates snakes", but doesn't seem to be afraid of them. It isn't until his "little accident" in Utah that makes him fear snakes. :)

Flannery10

It's not the same actually. Curse of the Jackal was the pilot of Young Indiana Jones and consisted of the two episodes Egypt, 1908 (now the first part of My First Adventure) and Mexico, 1916 (second part of Spring Break Adventure). They wanted to put everything in chronological order, so they cut out Old Indy and connected the two parts with other episodes.

No, they were cut together for the VHS released in 2000.

It seems like there are two diffrent actors who play Indy (Age 11) and Henry, am i going crazy? Same actor, but like metallinvader said, filmed a couple years appart. 6, I think.

Why in one episode do they call young Indy "Henry" (or Junior) and the next they're calling him "Indy"? (Why don't they explain how they started calling him the dogs name?) metallinvader is right on that one, too. Indy himself prefers his chosen nickname but the adults always call him Henry.

Why does Indy "hate snakes" in Africa but he dosen't mind them in Utah? (untill his little acident) Yeah, I think he hates snakes in Africa but he isn't really afraid of them. That one was answered too, somewhere already.

I really liked those, always funny, but many people didn't. They just hated to see Indy as an annoying storyteller, which is why Lucas cut them out.

Is it me or is something missing in the DVD that might have been there in the original's? They cut a couple of scenes because Old Indy was vital for some of them, because he was explaining them to the audience.

I love these adventures but it seems like they're alittle to educational, i want to see Indy not Piccaso or Tolstoy. They don't focus on Indy's origan (wich is why i'm watching), but on historic figuers. Well, that's the purpose of the series. Indy is practically the only main thing that's not fictional.

I want to see how Indy and Sallah became freinds or when Indy and Marion first seen each other, or maybe why he started doning the Fedora (The thing the YIJ has is not a fed imo) The series was cancelled after two seasons, but they were planning Sallah and Marion episodes.

Why does Lucas have to play around with evreything? Yeah, who knows?

Stoo

IndyFan89 said:
(Why don't they explain how they started calling him the dogs name?)

Why does Indy "hate snakes" in Africa but he dosen't mind them in Utah?
The opening scenes of "Curse of the Jackal" show vignettes of Indy's
home/school life with an Old Indy voice-over explaining the name.

Indy *is* afraid in Africa - he runs away! Was this cut on the DVD?

Flannery10 said:
they were planning Sallah and Marion episodes.
Where did you read this, Flannery10?:confused:

IndyFan89

It begins with Indy as a baby and age 11 Indy talking about his and his mom and dad. Indy does say his dog is Indiana but doesn't say anything about why he took the name.

metalinvader

Matinee Idyll said:
How does 'My First Adventure' begin then, if they've cut all that opening stuff?

It's still the same it's just Corey Carrier giving the naration.It has new clips of a baby Indy meeting Indiana the dog and his parents waking Indy up and telling him they are going on a trip.

Matinee Idyll

Thanks for the fast replies guys! Does it work ok?

I'm starting to wish more and more that Harrison had been drafted in to redo all the bookends, that coulda worked.

Another thing that bemuses me is that there are historical documentaries for each video, but let's say I was an Art teacher showing the Paris episode to my class... either the kids sit through Kenya, or I would just go straight to the first chapter of Paris.

The fact that the 'Adventures' are made up of two completely unrelated topics, I don't see how that could be of any value to teachers. Just split the damn episodes up, George! Ugh.

Adamwankenobi

metalinvader said:
It's still the same it's just Corey Carrier giving the naration.It has new clips of a baby Indy meeting Indiana the dog and his parents waking Indy up and telling him they are going on a trip.

Carrier's narration was obviously recorded when he shot the bridging segments in 96'. He's got that annoying "puberty voice". LOL.

Flannery10

Stoo said:
Where did you read this, Flannery10?:confused:

Ok I kinda used the wrong word, I guess. There were some rumors about them thinking about making some of the episodes. You probably remember the confirmed planned episode Jerusalem 1909, where Indy meets Abner and it wouldn't be unlikely for him to meet more of his friends from the movies. But yeah, it was never confirmed that they really planned Sallah and Marion episodes. Sorry

Matinee Idyll

Does anyone have these?

http://www.dvddonkey.com/movie/action/The_Young_Indiana_Jones_Chronicles.html

58066_2.jpg

Looks a dang sight cheaper than spending $300+ on the official stuff, and unlike the R1 NTSC stuff - this set might actually play here in Australia.

Anyone have any experience with these bootleg type DVDs?

Grizzlor

The only non-official release I've ever bought was a Box set of The Transformers original cartoon, made for China. It was an official release there though, completely in English, using the Rhino material. As for this bootie, I would have considered it if the price was maybe 30 or 40, just to see what it was like. However, given that the series premiered in the early 90's, I can't imagine a DVD quality picture and sound from an old VHS recording. If they simply took the USA network airings, well then no thank you, because those are the Lucas post-edited ones.