Hasbro "Lost Indy Wave" pics and reviews.

Billy Ray

I received these figures today (wow never thought I would have said that 2 yrs ago) and have to say, they are some of Hasbro's finest work! Even the figures I wasn't that excited about came out great, including my first entry...

Indiana Jones - German Disguise

Ok, first off, that isn't even the figure's name. Oddly, they just call him "Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark", same as the other Indy in this wave.

IMG_41431.JPG

I have to admit, I wasn't looking forward to this one all that much, but am happy to report that he came out pretty nice. Especially once you free him from the packaging.

IMG_41671.JPG

The head sculpt has a pretty good likeness of Harrison Ford (especially for this scale). I know it looks like he has a big red plus sign on his head but, the battle damage is a little more subtle in hand and when not blown up by the camera.

IMG_41681.JPG

At first glance, it appears as though this figure is nothing more than a new head on the old German Soldier body. That's not quite the case though. The two figures do share quite a bit but, aside from a different belt, Indy has new boots with additional ankle articulation.

IMG_4169.JPG

Compared to the other figures in this wave, Indy certainly got the short end of the accessory stick. The rocket launcher is his sole accessory, but they did do a mighty nice job on it. It has a ton of details and is painted with a nice gunmetal finish and even has a strap on the left side. Unfortunately the strap can't be used to sling the launcher over Indy's shoulder, but it is a nice touch all the same.

IMG_42612.JPG

IMG_42602.JPG

That's pretty much it. If I had to rate the figures in this wave, this version of Indy would probably come in last, but that's only because the other figures are so great. German Indy is a good figure, and gets the job accomplished. I can't really see how they could have improved upon him, other than maybe add a cap...or better yet, a second head with a cap. I tried the Mechanic's cap on Indy just for the heck of it and it doesn't look that great...

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_41711.JPG

I am still uploading pics, so I am going to do these one at a time.

Next up...Satipo

Billy Ray

Satipo

IMG_41501.JPG

Ok, this guy is relly packed with a lot of detail and some fantastic paint apps. He's a little lacking in the articulation department as he has no wrist or ankle joints, but he can do what he needs to I guess.

IMG_41733.JPG

At first I thought that the headsculpt was really off but I think it is just the hair that is off. The face itself really looks like a young Alfred Molina to me.

IMG_41742.JPG

Like I said, the paintwork is really nice on this guy. Lots of washes that give him that dirty, sweaty, "just trekked through Peru" look. And he packed a lot of gear for that trek as is evident in the highly detailed pack that he sports, which is chock full of pots, pans, cups, torches, and a bed roll. Sadly, none of these items are removable.

IMG_41752.JPG

IMG_41763.JPG

Here are a couple of shots of him without the pack. In the rear shot you can see that his shirt is a little worse for the wear. Nice touch on Hasbro's part.

IMG_41783.JPG

IMG_41791.JPG

The shirt is made of a soft rubbery material and is easily removed. Though it looks weird with the sleeves still on his arms, it might come in handy for customizers. It also lets you see the further detail that Hasbro put into this figure like his "wife beater" t-shirt and the holster and "coin purse" thingy on his belt.

IMG_41801.JPG

IMG_41811.JPG

Finally we have Satipos other accessory. In addition to his backpack and torch he comes with the "shawl" of taratulas. While a cool addition (and nice surprise), it doesn't quite manage to pull of the look of spiders crawling all over him. Still neat though.

IMG_41832.JPG

IMG_41845.JPG

So, that's about it for Satipo. He's an extremely detailed figure with really great paint work and a few more accessorys than German Indy.

I will post the rest tomorrow, next up will be....Indiana Jones - Adventure Gear

Montana Smith

I like where this thread is going, Billy! It's great to read (and see) reviews from an Indy fan's perspective, and will keep me occupied until mine arrive.

The detail on Satipo looks really good up close. Never noticed that he had a holster before - as it was Barranca who drew his Remington on Indy.

Seeing them off their cards is really making me want a second set now.

Lance Quazar

Off to a great start, Billy Ray, thanks for your thoughts and images!

I would recommend maybe getting a nice shot of the stand by itself, as it is another very cool item that helps round out the set.

Looking forward to the rest!

Nurhachi1991

Great thread man but its a real ball buster seeing all these great figures knowing Ill never get them haha

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:
Great thread man but its a real ball buster seeing all these great figures knowing Ill never get them haha

I'm the reverse. I bothered to get all the action figures that came out at the time, but the bloom is off that particular rose (also, why spend the money?), and so reading something like this is all I really hoped for.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
I'm the reverse. I bothered to get all the action figures that came out at the time, but the bloom is off that particular rose (also, why spend the money?), and so reading something like this is all I really hoped for.

I felt obliged to try and track down a set, since having all the other Hasbro Indy output I was overwhelmed by a sense of completion!

If the bloom was off the rose, it was a black rose (a dead line). And to mix metaphors with another flower of death, the lost wave was like gilding the lily. It makes me wish that Hasbro might have seen an upsurge in interest that would encourage them to continue with more figures, playsets and vehicles: Indy's car, Dietrich's staff car, a Well of Souls, The Raven - how cool would that be? A mini Raven!

bonoferox

I got my set in last night that my friend picked up for me at the con and love the everloving f*ck out of them. I pulled out my vintage WoS playset with the intent to take a few pictures with Marion, but my camera batteries were dead.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
...The Raven - how cool would that be? A mini Raven!

Yeah, but it's only those with the endless variants on Indy's face who would have an appropriate action figure. No dogs, no Army Intelligence, no wise old men, no New Jersey Jones...and poor Rocket!

michael

I didn't pick up a set, but man oh man, Belloq in white suit would've been really hard to turn down.

I make no joke. I can't stand the Belloq from the first wave.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
michael said:
I didn't pick up a set, but man oh man, Belloq in white suit would've been really hard to turn down.

I make no joke. I can't stand the Belloq from the first wave.

I feel ya - I get why the Belloq in Ceremonial Garb exists, since he was in the original line, and he's <I>not</i> in a suit, which makes him more exciting, but it's such a damned classy outfit.

michael

I feel ya - I get why the Belloq in Ceremonial Garb exists, since he was in the original line, and he's <I>not</i> in a suit, which makes him more exciting, but it's such a damned classy outfit.
I get why he existed too, but since they took that route of limiting the amount of figures in suits (OBVIOUSLY HUGE SELLERS :rolleyes: ) they should've gone with Belloq in jungle attire. That's something that would've appealed to kids way better I think.

But yeah, that suit is class.

Montana Smith

Yeah, but it's only those with the endless variants on Indy's face who would have an appropriate action figure. No dogs, no Army Intelligence, no wise old men, no New Jersey Jones...and poor Rocket!

I see what you did there. Maybe SDCC 2012 will have a very limited edition of 'The Lost Raven Wave'. A boxed set of moderators and associated stafff.

michael said:
I get why he existed too, but since they took that route of limiting the amount of figures in suits (OBVIOUSLY HUGE SELLERS ) they should've gone with Belloq in jungle attire. That's something that would've appealed to kids way better I think.

But yeah, that suit is class.

So many missing possibilities. If only Indy was as popular in the toy market as Star Wars, we could have at least one of everybody.

And talking of too many suits, the Russians suffered from too many German field caps, so Hasbro put them in side caps to make them look different. (Lego went the extra mile and made the Russians green so as not to be confused with Germans!)

Billy Ray

"Adventure Gear" Indiana Jones

Ok, this was touted as being the "ultimate" Indiana Jones by Hasbro back at Toyfair. He was supposed to have an "all new" headsculpt (more on that later) and come with a ton of accessories. So how did he measure up?

Once again, "Adventure Gear" Indy is not the figure's real name, on the card he is just "Indiana Jones -Raiders of the Lost Ark", same as German Indy.

IMG_41443.JPG

Freed from his plastic prison, you can see that he is a pretty nice looking figure. Certainly better than the Raiders "Idol" Indy that we received previously. He is made up of the KOTCS Indy body, with the much nicer holster and belt from that figure as well. The jacket is a bit darker than the KOTCS figure as well.

IMG_41852.JPG

IMG_42623.JPG

Ok, now for the headsculpt. It certainly appears, at first glance, that the "all new" headsculpt we were promised is nothing more than the Temple of Doom headsculpt. Not that that is a bad thing, it is definitely one of the better sculpts of Indy from the line. I'm still not 100% sure that the hat is the same though. From some angles the brim looks slightly larger. I've included a couple of comparison shots, you be the judge.

IMG_41862.JPG

IMG_41921.JPG

IMG_41941.JPG

This figure is definitely packed with a bunch of accessories, all of them ROTLA related. He comes with a torch, coiled whip, revolver, sandbag, and idol. We have seen all of these before, included with various figures as well as the temple trap playset. I've pictured the idol alongside the one that came with the previous incarnation of this figure. The paint apps are slightly duller in appearance than that one (new one on the left). The revolver is nicely painted this time around (though mine was slightly bent in the packaging). About the only accessory that seems to be "missing" from this figure is an uncoiled whip but, if you have collected this line like I have, you probably have a couple of spares lying around.

IMG_41902.JPG

So, there you have him. For what basically amounts to a kitbashed figure that we all could have made ourselves (and some of us already have), he is still a great figure and more than makes up for the less than stellar "Idol Indy" from the first wave. He is a great looking figure with a bunch of accessories and kudos to Hasbro for including him. They could have just as well skipped adding him to this set and it still would have sold like hotcakes.

Next up...Marion Ravenwood

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

Great job, Billy!

A few things to note - unlike the other previous Indy releases, the new "Adventure Gear" Indy has painted buttons on his shirt, which is a nice touch.

The torch that Indy comes with is a repaint of Short Round's ToD torch. I assume it's supposed to represent the torch Indy finds to test the dart booby trap in the temple, but, interestingly enough, that torch was never actually lit, as it is in the figure.

Still, that makes for four different kinds of torches in the line - the Sallah/Marion version, the Sapito version, Short Round and now this one. I appreciate that level of detail, one can imagine that would be the kind of thing a toy company might easily scrimp on.

Regarding Sapito, I was never over the moon about any figure with an "open mouthed" expression and, as you said, the hair feels a little bit off. But the rest of the figure has such exquisite detail and painting that it is impossible not to love it!

Keep 'em coming, sir!

Billy Ray

Marion Ravenwood

While this figure has a few minor flaws, I really, really like her. She isn't loaded with accesories, but comes with some cool stuff.

IMG_41533.JPG

Unlike the vintage figure, this version of Marion is a little more scene specific to the infamous Well of the Souls scene. Her dress is ripped above the knees (due to Indy's improvised torch) and she is missing her left shoe from the fall into the Well. The missing shoe is what causes one of her minor flaws. As you can see in the image, the articulation of her knees doesn't quite match up. Her left knee is noticeably lower than her right. The missing shoe also contributes to another minor flaw. In order for Marion to stand properly, her left foot has been built up. This looks a little awkward from the side, but fine from the front. My only other beef with her is the "cankles". Hasbro has had a hard time avoiding this problem when adding ankle articulation to slightly built figures in the past. They have managed to make it look a little better than past figures like Leia from the Shadows of the Empire comic pack, but it still pretty noticeable. Marion's dress is also very nicely detailed.

IMG_42021.JPG

IMG_42062.JPG

IMG_42093.JPG

IMG_4208.JPG

The high point of this figure is definitely the headsculpt. Unlike Hasbro's first take on Marion, in her Cairo duds, this sculpt captures a young Karen Allen a lot better. It may not be a spot on likeness, but says Karen Allen more than generic brunette. The hair is nicely sculpted, with the nice little "fly away" (that's what they call them right?) in the front and the paint apps are simply beautiful! I would love to get a second one of these and do a headswap with Cairo Marion (I tried this, but Cairo Marion's neck joint is a little bigger and I didn't want to stretch this one out...it can be done though with a little force).

IMG_42031.JPG

Marion does come up a little short in the accessory department. She comes with her trusty torch, for fending off snakes, and she comes with a heap of snakes...with a cobra menacingly displaying its hood. It would have been nice if they could have somehow included her other shoe, better yet if they could have given her a removable shoe. Not sure what else they could have given her really, maybe a few more loose snakes. They could have thrown in a mummy maybe, but I guess that might be a little too much to ask.

IMG_4205.JPG

All in all, despite the offset knee articulation, the weird looking bare foot, and the "cankles", I still think this is a great figure. The beautiful headsculpt and detail really make up for those few, minor, problem areas.

Next up...German Mechanic

phantom train

Thanks very much for taking the time to post these detailed pics. and reviews. I don't have these figures yet, and may not be able to get them due to limited availability. It's a shame that these were never released @ retail several years back, as was originally intended.

Re: the Marion Ravenwood, I do agree the missing shoe is a flaw, but at the same time I understand that it's scene-specific so I guess it makes sense (though, it would have been better to have incuded the shoe).

The accessories that come with both the Marion & Satipo are great, and really add to each figure.

Looking forward to the rest of the reviews.

Billy Ray

Lance Quazar said:
Great job, Billy!

A few things to note - unlike the other previous Indy releases, the new "Adventure Gear" Indy has painted buttons on his shirt, which is a nice touch.

The torch that Indy comes with is a repaint of Short Round's ToD torch. I assume it's supposed to represent the torch Indy finds to test the dart booby trap in the temple, but, interestingly enough, that torch was never actually lit, as it is in the figure.

Still, that makes for four different kinds of torches in the line - the Sallah/Marion version, the Sapito version, Short Round and now this one. I appreciate that level of detail, one can imagine that would be the kind of thing a toy company might easily scrimp on.

Regarding Sapito, I was never over the moon about any figure with an "open mouthed" expression and, as you said, the hair feels a little bit off. But the rest of the figure has such exquisite detail and painting that it is impossible not to love it!

Keep 'em coming, sir!

Thanks Lance, couldn't have done it without you though!

You know, I just noticed the button thing myself when posting the pics. I was going to go back and check the other Indys to see if this was the case, but I trust your word.

I know what they were going for with Satipo with the open mouth thing, his mouth is hagning open pretty much most of the time but he kind of came out looking more angry than scared/stupified.

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

Usually, I find overly scene-specific characters to be a bit irritating, since I like to have as many options available for posing, dioramas and the occasional custom.

But there is something very charming about Marion's one shoe. And, of course, if you're going to do a version where Marion is actually IN the well, then that's the only way to do it accurately, since she loses the shoe has she's being thrown in.

Not many accessories, but, as you said, what else could they have given her? Unfortunately, this means you'll have to somehow buy about 20-30 marion figures to have enough snakes to cover a theoretical Well of the Souls. (y)

Thanks for the info about the headswap. That earlier Marion head is just so disappointingly generic. This one actually looks like Karen - even if you have to squint a bit.