The Indy Cast

arkfinder

KVoss said:
That would be more like..."It's MESA!!! Sallah!!! Mesa is da Monarch of the SEESA!! WWWWWOOOOOooopppppppp woop woop!!! Oh no!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Nnnnnoooooooooooooooooo!!!! :gun: lol

lairdo said:
Definitely Mario...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhadLMDWcGA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhadLMDWcGA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DoomTown

Thanks to everyone who voted for me in the Sallah voice-off! It was great fun, and thanks again to Rob for putting it all together!!! (y)

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Fine -- I will squeeze in an Indiana Jones Trivia contest at the ComiCONN (chttp://www.comiconn.comcomiconn.com) -- I should just repurpose some of Pat's questions -- because NO ONE will ever get those!

How do you like the new one I sent you, Pat -- It' "SUPER" isn't it?:D

Mitchellhallock said:
How do you like the new one I sent you, Pat -- It' "SUPER" isn't it?:D

Just read it, here's one based on an old post of mine here at the Raven: which Marvel Hero isn't a fan of Indiana Jones?

I think you'll find an Indy Artist is crossing over to this character as well...

Rob nice work on the Voice off once again! Always good for a laugh!

Good representation "gang"...

michael

Rocket,

Nice mention of the Temple of Doom End Credits piece by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra in the trivia section, it really is amazing, I still don't have the heart to put it on my Temple of Doom chronological playlist though. :(

Also,The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (same orchestra that did Star Wars in Concert) do the Temple of Doom end credits as well! It's on itunes if you want to check it out (you probably have already)!

In my opinion, the Prague one is better, they seem to have the timing down a little bit better.

I still can't believe the actual end credits of TOD by is not officially released. Those missing 20 seconds are worth the price of the soundtrack, alone!

Cheers, actually Brother Laird brought that up, (though I was more than happy to showcase it!), and provided the clip/link. For anyone who is interested it can be purchased independent of the album through iTunes.

Honorable mention to Lito who sent me his own edit of like minded tracks, though well after Laird.

I'm with you in regards to wondering why they wouldn't have furnished the theatrical version. It's one of the, if not the most striking evolutions of an Indiana Jones track. Shame is they didn't carry the tradition over to the subsequent films. The segue involving Short Round's Theme and The Raiders March is simple but unique and for my part the highlight of the soundtrack.

indyclone25

another great show , yeah the pickings on the indy news is really sparse but you still keep up up on some fun things :D

drwynn

Rocket - Did Laird send you a "splice" of recordings as well? Just curious...

It is possible to get a decent version of the piece. You can use programs like Amadeus Pro. Use the Finale/Return to the Village, "crossfade" edit into the City of Prague recording for the "A" section of the theme, then "Crossfade" edit into the End Credit recording in the first bar of the "B" section of the theme. That's what I did...and it comes across sounding not too bad, hopefully. Ask Rocket, I guess...he can vouch as to whether it sounds good or not.

Cheers.

drwynn said:
Rocket - Did Laird send you a "splice" of recordings as well? Just curious...

It is possible to get a decent version of the piece. You can use programs like Amadeus Pro. Use the Finale/Return to the Village, "crossfade" edit into the City of Prague recording for the "A" section of the theme, then "Crossfade" edit into the End Credit recording in the first bar of the "B" section of the theme. That's what I did...and it comes across sounding not too bad, hopefully. Ask Rocket, I guess...he can vouch as to whether it sounds good or not.

Cheers.

Laird sent a link to the "Prague" recording...what you heard was not an edit. You can purchase that for a buck off iTunes.

Your edit's timing was spot on, the chink in the armour: the final mix of the respective recordings. It's not an impossible task, ripping the theatrical version and replacing the lead in with one of the soundtrack versions might provide a more seemless whole. It didn't sound too bad, it's a good as can be expected with the material chosen...

Maybe over the break I'll give it a shot...

lairdo

Yeah, I was lazy and just bought the track. On my playlist, I have the soundtrack end credit followed by the Prague one. It is so bizarre this piece was left off since there was room for it.

But for that matter, I was sort of surprised at a few other choices on the box set. Tracks that were together on Raiders DCC were now apart. And on LC, they combined the tracks related to Marcus and Sallah into one track which is not how they are in the film.

Nitpicking for sure, but why shouldn't we be purists?

drwynn

lairdo said:
Nitpicking for sure, but why shouldn't we be purists?

Nitpicking is how all we film score purists voice their disapproval of the treatment of our most beloved scores, Laird! The treatment of some of the cues on the boxed set left me scratching my head. Then again, the way most scores are compiled usually does. I used Amadeus Pro to "fix" a lot of the cues for my iTunes and iPod...

TEMPLE
- edited "Nightclub Brawl" and "Fast Streets of Shanghai" into one seamless track. Also, added "Anything Goes" source cue (played by Club Obi-Wan band) into the section of "Nightclub Brawl" where it belongs
- edited "Map/Out of Fuel" into one seamless track. Also, used film version of music from 0:22 to 0:51 (Willie's theme in this section is different in film than on the album version)
- edited "Saving Willie", "Slave Children's Crusade", and "Short Round Helps" into one seamless cue to better represent what is heard on film (also added looped in extra notes [B-flat,F, G] heard in Indy's theme at 8:15)
- edited "Water!" and "The Sword Trick" into one seamless cue
- as posted before, I edited "The Broken Bridge/British Relief", "Return to the Village", "End Credits/Raiders March" and section of City of Prague recording into one cue. True, the mastering on the recordings differs...but to me, it's somewhat easy to overlook and is a much better representation of what it SHOULD sound like

CRUSADE
- Separated "Marcus Is Captured" and "To Berlin" into two different cues
- edited "The Austrian Way" and "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" into one seamless cue
- edited "On the Tank" and "Belly of the Steel Beast" into one seamless cue. NOTHING bothered me more on the boxed set than the treatment of these two tracks (I took the beginning of "Belly" [0:00-2:23], edited in "On The Tank" [minus the opening Indy fanfare], then tacked on the end of "Belly")

SKULL
Re-arranged entire order of cues, also split up tracks that were combined from different sections of the film to better represent what was heard during the film, in chronological order. I honestly can't even remember what tracks were used where, but here's what the track list looks like...
- Area 51 Search
- A Whirl Through Academe
- Flight To Peru
- Oxley's Cell
- Grave Robbers
- Secret Doors and Scorpions
- Orellana's Cradle
- "Return"
- The Snake Pit
- The Jungle Chase
- Ants!
- Through Eyes and Tears (The Temple)
- Ancient Protectors
- The City of Gold (Temple Entrance)
- The Door Opens (Throne Chamber)
- The Chamber (Spalko's Gift)
- The Secret Revealed (Leaving the Temple)
- The Departure
- Finale and End Credits

What really disappoints me is that there are still SO many cues that have not been officially released:

RAIDERS
"Escape From the Idol Sanctuary" (film version) (0:10)
"The Mummy Cave" (2:05)

TEMPLE
"Shanghai, 1935" (0:16)
"The Journey To The Village" (1:10)
"Sankara!" (1:36)
"Fortune and Glory, Kid" (0:45)
"The Maharajah" (0:51)
"The Feast" (0:57)
"A True Believer" (5:45)
"The Rope Bridge" (2:08)

CRUSADE
"Mail From Venice/Intercepted" (0:59)
"The Legend of the Holy Grail" (1:09)
"The Catacombs" (2:39)
"The Two Joneses/Don't Call Me Junior!" (2:16)
"Elsa's Betrayal" (2:01)
"Marcus In Iskenderun" (2:01)
"The Birds of Charlemagne" (1:48)
"Saving Papa Jones/Only the Penitent Man Will Pass" (2:54)

SKULL
(This is only a partial list as there are MANY tracks unreleased)
"The Man In The Hat Is Back" (1:22)
"Warehouse Heroics" (3:26)
"A Thought For Dad/Train Station" (1:28)
"Jungle Chase: The Complete Version" (9:39)
"Over the Cliff" (partially unused) (1:20)

Don't get me wrong...I am VERY glad to finally have an official, fantastic sounding release of much of the material that was absent for so many years. But, as an Indy and Williams devotee, it saddens me to think there's still over 30 minutes of unreleased music that exists. I just wish they would give the Indy scores the same treatment they gave the Star Wars Trilogy scores years ago: release each score in its own double-CD version, containing EVERY single track recorded for the film in its entirety. I assure Lucasfilm, people WOULD buy them.

'Nuff said. (sorry for the rant! :eek: )

lairdo said:
Tracks that were together on Raiders DCC were now apart. And on LC, they combined the tracks related to Marcus and Sallah into one track which is not how they are in the film.

That's a head scratcher for sure, but that they cheaped out and used the Hired Gun Orchestra instead of returning to the punchy British Brass is proof positive of Indy's status as Star Wars red headed step brother...

...at least:

we'll always have Raiders...

indycast

Indy-Cast Episode 96 is now available to download!

In this week's episode Harrison is still talking Indy 5, we see who would win a fight - Indy or Han Solo, have some tantalizing new video game news, the Top Ten makes a welcome return, Ron and Mitch switch places, we have yet another sock reference and lots more! So now, sit back and relax as we take a look at what?s making news in the world of Indiana Jones this week!

Check out the episode at the ForceCast.net.

drwynn

Since it wasn't included in this week's IndyCast, allow me to post it here...

Today is Mr. Williams' birthday...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Williams! Here's to many, many more!

ronthereviewer

Happy bday John

Good point out it is the master of movie themes bday so you know my next segment in two weeks is dedicated to him already picking some good tunes to play

Sharkey

Couple of thoughts, Singer's Superman was WAAAY better than superturd 3 and 4.Tim Burton and Nick Cage's Superman sounds as bad as Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter looks.

Alvin and the Chipmonks?

Couldn't you just add additional polls with the rest of the films as needed so you could include flicks like Bladerunner?

Yeah it's "trivia" but could you make it MORE obscure?

The rest was great!