TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Which of these scenes are your favorite?
The Idol Temple 12 21.82%
The Flying Wing 3 5.45%
Desert Truck Chase 17 30.91%
The Opening Of The Ark 3 5.45%
Shanghai, 1935 2 3.64%
The Temple Of Kali (Sacrifice) 2 3.64%
The Rock Crusher 1 1.82%
Fight On The Rope Bridge 5 9.09%
Young Indy (Dun & Duffy Circus Train) 1 1.82%
The Tomb Of Sir Richard/Venice Boat Chase 0 0%
Vogel's Tank Battle 5 9.09%
The Temple Of The Grail 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #51
RKORadio

"Let it go, Indiana. Let it go. "
RKORadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #52
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKORadio

Good choice. Listen to your elders.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #53
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
Good choice. Listen to your elders.

A word from the wise. Always listen to your uncle Mick!

Favourite scene of modern times is one that combines suspense with humour.

Indy making room in the fridge, then having trouble closing the door.

Quote:
INT KITCHEN DUSK

Indy runs into the kitchen and throws open the old-style refrigerator.

VOICE (O.S.)

T-minus ten seconds and counting.

Indy yanks everything out of the fridge, shelves and all.

VOICE (O.S.) (cont’d)

T-minus five seconds and counting.

Indy jumps into the fridge and SLAMS the door --

VOICE (O.S.) (cont’d)

Four.

-- but the door bounces open, cans are blocking it --

VOICE (O.S.) (cont’d)

Three.

-- he cleans the rest of the things out --

VOICE (O.S.) (cont’d)

Two.

-- and SLAMS the door. As it closes a little metal plate on the corner of the door pops into focus, it reads --

VOICE (O.S.) (cont’d)

One.

-- “LEAD-LINED FOR SUPERIOR INSULATION!”

The screen turns white.

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #54
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
A word from the wise. Always listen to your uncle Mick!

Truer words....

I first became an uncle at the age of 13, 32 years ago.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #55
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKORadio

That is indeed, one of THE greatest moments, in a series full of great moments! Glad you reminded us of it!

Quote:
I first became an uncle at the age of 13, 32 years ago.

Well, at least you're not your own Grandpa!
Sea Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #56
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Monarch
Well, at least you're not your own Grandpa!

I have to admit I am not sure what that means. Is it some type of a saying? I will google it after this, otherwise I await your response.

NB I did google it and there are discussions on time travel paradoxes as well discussions on the effects of reintermarrying within families, but still nothing definitive. It's up to you now Sea Monarch.

Last edited by Mickiana : 10-04-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #57
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Location: In a canyon, opening up an Ark of whoopa## on some goosestepping morons
Quote:
I have to admit I am not sure what that means. Is it some type of a saying? I will google it after this, otherwise I await your response.

NB I did google it and there are discussions on time travel paradoxes as well discussions on the effects of reintermarrying within families, but still nothing definitive. It's up to you now Sea Monarch.

Totally understandable, that this causes head scratching. I dropped that phrase, because it seems to be the strangest case scenario, of strange familial relations, and seemed perfect in making your becoming an Uncle at the tender age of 13, seem not so uncommon. Although being a young Aunt or Uncle happens probably more than people think, it's not usually the norm.

First time I ever heard the phrase, was in a song that Tom Arnold's character Stanley Stupid sings in John Landis's "The Stupids", (you asked). The scene was used in the trailers, and It's actually quite hilarious. It's a lighthearted, silly family comedy. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but if you like John Landis comedies (Blues Brothers, Spies Like Us, Oscar), check it out. I heard it was based on a children's book. Christopher Lee as The Evil Mr. Sender, is worth the viewing alone. Not sure, but it may have been a folk comedy song before this movie was ever made. I know Bluegrass bands have been known to sing it, including comedian Steve Martin's band, I believe.

The phrase is also said by the character Frye, in a time travel Futurama episode, but his dilemma is due to messed up um, ...choices made causing time/space paradox. on the other hand, Tom Arnold comes to it rather innocently enough. Though there's a lot of bread crumbs to follow in the song, in the case of Stanley it seems to be possible, and true.

On the subject of young Uncle's, thought it was a funny reveal in rom-com You've Got Mail, when Meg Ryan finds out that the little girl with Tom Hanks is his Aunt, and the even younger boy, is his Brother. To which Hanks quips, "We are an American family."

There you have it. At least you're not.... Hahaha! Watch the song if you can. It's quite humorous.

Last edited by Sea Monarch : 10-05-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #58
Mickiana
IndyFan

Listened to the song on Youtube. It is very clever. My mind was whiplashing back and forth unable to keep up with the twisting of relationships in the lyrics. One thought I had while listening was to draw the family tree he is singing about but I'm afraid it would end up looking like einsteinian formula filling a blackboard!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #59
Sea Monarch
IndyFan

Quote:
Listened to the song on Youtube. It is very clever. My mind was whiplashing back and forth unable to keep up with the twisting of relationships in the lyrics. One thought I had while listening was to draw the family tree he is singing about but I'm afraid it would end up looking like einsteinian formula filling a blackboard!

Exaaactly! I thought about doing the family tree thing too, just to visually see how it plays out. But, I know it would just boggle the mind, trying to figure out where the McNuggets fit back in the chicken! Haha!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #60
JurassicPrince
IndyFan

Honestly, I'm just amazed at how many wonderful scenes are in Raiders. Not to mention, how it moves from scene to scene.

I think though, my favorite has to be the scene at Marion's bar. It's the atmosphere, the lighting, the dialogue... all culminating in that shootout. It's perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith

But speaking of this thread, I love how people like Spurlock have pointed out what a perfect shot and sequence this is.
JurassicPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #61
Duaner
IndyFan

The fight on the rope bridge is my favorite of all-time, but the desert truck chase comes pretty close.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #62
TheFedora
IndyFan

For me it has to be a toss up between the Boulder scene at the beginning of Raiders, or the Indy passing the Trials at the end of Crusade. I think both really have a lot of that classic feel to them that I think about most when watching the films.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #63
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Ahem...

Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:05 AM   #64
Mickiana
IndyFan

Good point, Kooshmeister.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #65
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Just hope the darn things are showing up.
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #66
InBanana Jones
IndyFan

As a child circa 1981, my favorite scene was the truck chase. As an adult now, I keep coming back to the Indy-Belloq conversation in the bar. Harrison Ford is so good in that scene with the way he delivers his lines. Paul Freeman --thanks to Lawrence Kasdan's stellar dialogue--perfectly lays out what makes Belloq so different from Indy.
InBanana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #67
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InBanana Jones
As a child circa 1981, my favorite scene was the truck chase. As an adult now, I keep coming back to the Indy-Belloq conversation in the bar. Harrison Ford is so good in that scene with the way he delivers his lines. Paul Freeman --thanks to Lawrence Kasdan's stellar dialogue--perfectly lays out what makes Belloq so different from Indy.

In a similar vein, I thought the conversation between Mac and Indy in the tent in KOTC was pretty good. It recalls just how far Indy has come from Temple of Doom. When Mac is speaking of Cities of Gold and asking Indy if he wants a cut...I get a feeling he is speaking to temple of doom indy or thinking he is. But Indy has grown past the mercenary, and now only looks at Mac with Disgust. I thought it was good to show his character growth. As earlier pointed out, Indy gave up the Mercenary in Crusade when he let the grail go.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #68
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Raiders is just one of those films that has so many great scenes and sequences to pick from. Some just following on from the previous one.

For as long as I can remember the truck chase shades it for me, really good action with a score to match. But as I've got older I think the map room scene is one that stands out too but for different reasons. It reminds me of something from a biblical epic in its look and score.

The anticipation of Indy finding the Well of the Souls makes it a tense scene too, because as a viewer you are intrigued to see what this place looks like. Also its like the macguffin has been found early in the film because we know thats supposedly where the ark is too.

But I think the thing that sets this scene aside is John Williams music, which as previously mentioned harks back to the 1950's Hollywood biblical epics and as its builds to a crescendo its just perfect.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #69
alotofmaryskid
IndyFan

First part of Raiders - from the Paramount logo to snakes in the plane. 2nd favorite is the next few minutes - from "NEOLITHIC" to the sea plane. Both scenes set the tone and the formula for what works in all 4 films. I'm not crazy for TOD because it doesn't follow the formula.
alotofmaryskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #70
NukeTheFridge
IndyFan

For me it has to be the tank battle from Last Crusade. Not just because it's epic and badass in action and suspense, but it also has a lot to do with John Williams' scores Belly of the Steel Beast and On The Tank. I hear either of those and it gets me pumped up.
NukeTheFridge is offline   Reply With Quote