Are/were the Batman fans responsible for a lot of the hate?

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object."

Don't tempt me, pal...I can quote every single speech of the Joker's off the top of my head. No looking it up, no guessing, nothing. Purely from memory.

HOWEVER...

I shall resist the bait. See, I'm not an idiot. I'm just ahead of the cur-oh, crap, there I go...

Dr.Jonesy said:
:hat:
And the last thing I want to see is the fans of two characters I've loved since I was a kid put up against eachother and argue.

It's almost as vicious as the rivalry between Warriors and Trekkers...:rolleyes:

Dr.Jonesy

Hey...wanna know the irony of this topic?

SPOILERS FOR 'THE DARK KNIGHT RISES' AHEAD!!!

Batman somehow survives a nuclear blast at the end of 'The Dark Knight Rises'.

Archaeos

You mean, like thanks to the BatFridge? Lame. Someone's been there, done that. No wonder the Dark Dork Fans are so hateful of The One True Hero? trilogy, out on Blu-ray soon.

;) :cool:

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:
Hey...wanna know the irony of this topic?

SPOILERS FOR 'THE DARK KNIGHT RISES' AHEAD!!!

Batman somehow survives a nuclear blast at the end of 'The Dark Knight Rises'.

I'm expecting TDKR to be the weakest of Nolan's trilogy, since Bane is played by a guy who looks more like the German Mechanic than the beast who broke the Bat.

tom-hardy-bane.jpg

Jeep Swenson cut a more credible figure in Batman & Robin. (Now that's irony!)

bansvsbane.png

Nolan may have just have followed Lucas in making one too many...

FIRST REVIEW: The Dark Knight Rises might be spectacular to look at... but it's humourless and too long

By Chris Tookey

PUBLISHED: 17:07, 16 July 2012 | UPDATED: 11:13, 17 July 2012

The Dark Knight Rises (12A)Verdict: Spectacular - but overlong and often incomprehensible

Rating:

Director Christopher Nolan has done an intelligent job of assembling a blockbuster finale that brings back a few previous supervillains and makes a neat, emotionally satisfying conclusion to the trilogy of Batman films he has directed.

He also has the courage to grapple, however superficially, with two big themes - the fear of terrorism and economic collapse.

The bad guy of the picture, Bane (Tom Hardy), is like a French revolutionary of the 18th century, hoping to unite the oppressed masses against the capitalists, police and authorities who have kept them under control for so long

A 'people’s court' dispenses death sentences to anyone deemed reactionary. That’s me done for, then.

I wouldn’t go so far as to claim the film is a political heavyweight, but there are echoes of Dickens’ big novels about rioting masses and political anarchy, Barnaby Rudge and A Tale Of Two Cities.

The bad news is that it lasts two hours 45 minutes, which is astonishingly bloated – and unforgivable in a film that spends a long, ponderous hour getting started.

Another fault is that Bane is a boring villain. Heath Ledger’s Joker in The Dark Knight was a creepily memorable figure. Bane is just Darth Vader in a Hannibal Lecter mask, and his words are practically inaudible.

For the first time in a blockbuster this year, an over-enthusiastic effects track, poor diction (not only by Hardy) and what sounds like hundreds of crazed Japanese drummers make large stretches of dialogue incomprehensible.

And in case you think I’m going deaf, my 21-year-old son sitting beside me found the dialogue just as difficult to hear.

As with all recent Batman films, the tone is humourless, bordering on reverential. There are even self-consciously mythic echoes of Jesus Christ coming to save humanity, and it’s a tribute to Christian Bale’s acting that he endows the title role with agonized sincerity, even when asking us to believe in the wildly incredible.

Anyone who can’t see enough big, loud movies that don’t make sense can safely disregard this review. But the first of the trilogy, Batman Begins (which received four stars from me), remains the creative high point.

The Dark Knight Rises is not as repellently sadistic as its immediate predecessor, but it has pretensions vastly beyond its capabilities, and the special effects drown out the narrative.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-review-Spectacular-look-humourless-long.html

Last edited:

Dr.Jonesy

Montana Smith said:
I'm expecting TDKR to be the weakest of Nolan's trilogy, since Bane is played by a guy who looks more like the German Mechanic than the beast who broke the Bat.

Nolan may have just have followed Lucas in making one too many...

Tom Hardy doesn't resemble the German Mechanic other than in that photo. TDKR is receiving very high marks across the board, and Nolan knew the risk anyway, even commented about it a few times before production began.

The consensus is that Nolan has put a fitting cherry on top of the franchise.
:hat:

Dr.Jonesy

Montana Smith said:
I'll take Nolan's Joker, Scarecrow and Two-Face, but he can stick his Bane where the sun doesn't shine.

Not that Bane was ever my favorite Batman villain, but what's so bad about him?

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:

Not that Bane was ever my favorite Batman villain, but what's so bad about him?

Just don't like the look of him.

Knightfall was a great storyline, and Bane was a visually impressive character.

Bane_breaks_Batman.png

So I'm buying two of the new 1/6 Hot Toys' Nolan Jokers, and zero of Hot Toys' Nolan Bane. If Sideshow continue with their 1/6 DC comic book line and make Bane, that's the one I would stand alongside Nolan's Joker.

Dr.Jonesy

Montana Smith said:
Just don't like the look of him.

Knightfall was a great storyline, and Bane was a visually impressive character.

So I'm buying two of the new 1/6 Hot Toys' Nolan Jokers, and zero of Hot Toys' Nolan Bane. If Sideshow continue with their 1/6 DC comic book line and make Bane, that's the one I would stand alongside Nolan's Joker.

I understand. Not everyone digs Nolan's "realistic" take on characters. I find it to be a blight on creativity at times and a bit too sacrificial to canon, but that's just me. I do like Bane in the comics, but not as much as I do the more traditional Batman-Rogues. It's a shame that Riddler, Penguin and others don't exist in this version of Batman's world.

I'm reserving judgement on Bane until I see the finished product. Going to the 3-Film marathon tomorrow night. Not IMAX, though. But I figured $16 for a marathon of 3 films was a good price.

On a side note...wow those Hot Toys sculpts are amazing. Some of the things they do, the realistic look of these things blows my mind. Gary Oldman's looks amazing.

Bale Sculpt - Scroll down the page.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=385905&page=32

Gary Oldman Sculpt - Scroll down the page.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=385905&page=35

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:

I understand. Not everyone digs Nolan's "realistic" take on characters. I find it to be a blight on creativity at times and a bit too sacrificial to canon, but that's just me. I do like Bane in the comics, but not as much as I do the more traditional Batman-Rogues. It's a shame that Riddler, Penguin and others don't exist in this version of Batman's world.

Bane seems to be the character that Nolan's changed the most with regards to physical appearance.

While the Joker is still recognizable, albeit with ragged scars instead of the serendipitous smiling face of the comics or Burton's Jack Nicholson, Bane doesn't retain much of his heritage. In the comics he was 6'4" (and 6'8" on venom). Tom Hardy is only 5'10" to begin with and much less bulky.

Dr.Jonesy said:
On a side note...wow those Hot Toys sculpts are amazing. Some of the things they do, the realistic look of these things blows my mind. Gary Oldman's looks amazing.

Yes they really capture a lifelike appearance. I especially like the Oldman sculpt. He's on my wanted list. The Bale sculpt is good, but I don't find figures of Batman as appealing as the characters around him. That and the problem there's been with rubber suit deterioration on previous figures.

Bane, however, is coming in for some major bashing at the moment on Sideshow Freaks and Hot Toys' Facebook. Just about every part of him is being ripped apart!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Harry Knowles:
We haven’t seen a BATMAN movie that kicked RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK’s ass. But we could. One day. BATMAN deserves so much more style and flourish than this drab flick.
We have our share of knee-jerk defenders (no less irritating than the knee-jerk Indy 4 haters) but they're nothing like the thugs who got the Rotten Tomatoes comments shut down indefinitely. Over a hero movie... such irony.

Montana Smith

Moedred said:

I put SPOILER WARNINGS ALL OVER THIS – BECAUSE I HAVE TO DISCUSS THE ATROCIOUS END OF THIS TRAVESTY….

Undecided whether or not to read all his spoilers. But these are the feelings I was getting about TDKR just from behind the scenes stills. I think Nolan blew his load on BB and TDK, leaving little to give for the last.

One day I'll see it for myself.

michael

Montana Smith said:
Undecided whether or not to read all his spoilers. But these are the feelings I was getting about TDKR just from behind the scenes stills. I think Nolan blew his load on BB and TDK, leaving little to give for the last.

One day I'll see it for myself.

He blew his load with the TDKR.

It can't be topped by him.

See it.

Montana Smith

michael said:

See it.

I'll read The Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy, which arrived today, wait for the hype to die down, then pick up the Blu-ray at some point.

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

The thing with the Batman movies is something tragic always seems to happen upon there release which in a way convinces people the movie is better than it really is. For example when Heath passed away every band wagoner this side of Gotham was raving on about how the TDK was the greatest movie ever blah blah blah. Was it a good movie? Yeah I would say so but it was not a great movie and I have only seen it twice. Heath was a great Joker but I personally liked Nicholson the best.

Now with The Dark Knight Rises and the horrible tragedy that happened upon it's release. Once again people are going to convinced the film is better than it really is based on the events surrounding it.

I guarantee all of you if Harrison would of passed away before KOTCS came out. Everyone would of raved and raved how it was the best movie ever and Harrison is the greatest actor of all time and so on and so forth.

People are fickle.

Stoo

michael said:

See it.
Since 'blowing his load' has been mentioned: Can you guys, please, put your Batman boners back in your pants? Why *** to this thread to discuss the new, Dick Night Rise / Rising Dick film when there is already a thread dedicated to it?

The appropriate thread, which was created exactly 4 years + 2 days ago (and has remained active ever since), is: The Dork Dick Rises at Night

:p :p :p

Nurhachi1991

Stoo said:
Since 'blowing his load' has been mentioned: Can you guys, please, put your Batman boners back in your pants? Why *** to this thread to discuss the new, Dick Night Rise / Rising Dick film when there is already a thread dedicated to it?

The appropriate thread, which was created exactly 4 years + 2 days ago (and has remained active ever since), is: The Dork Dick Rises at Night

:p :p :p

Dork Dick Rises at Night? Was Ron Jeremy in that one?