Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Vance

Sadly, Doc, that's all too common in the game industry these days. The resource demands to make any game are so insane, with the voice work, 3-D rendering, engine physics, etc, that games are commonly technologically made hopelessly obsolete before they're past the early stages of development - so they get retooled, and start a lot of the process over , etc...

Only 1/3 of major game projects are ever completed. And only 1/3 of those are actually released. And, finally, only about 1/3 of those make a profit.

new lucasarts answers to these questions:

1.) Are there any physics in the game at all?
2.) How well do the animations capture the character of Indy (slightly clumsy, angry in a fight, etc?)
3.) Can you shed more light on the graphics? Are they going for a slightly stylized look? Do they look better in person/motion? I ask this because of the small screens in that Nintendo Power article - they look much better than the others...
4.) How are the whip mechanics? Can you whip weapons from enemies hands? Can you use it it climb vertically as in Infernal Machine?
5.) Do puzzles play a major role/ are they well integrated or should we expect pushing blocks around?
6.) Where's Indy's satchel? Does he loose it as part of the story or are these screen in fact a bit early?

are

1- Yes.
2 - You definitely feel like you're playing indy - IMHO.
3 - The game is a tough one because the screens don't do it justice, as is the case with most wii games. Static screens just can't convey it.
4 - You're starting to get into spoiler territory now. I'll say that it's not the same as infernal machine,but the whip is used for puzzles fighting, and all the good indy stuff.
5 - The puzzles are actually really smart. I recently did one that gave me a very good eureka feeling.
6 - not saying :)

sooo it seems the satchel not being on him is intentional, maybe it gets stolen?

Irfaan

Jeremiah Jones said:
sooo it seems the satchel not being on him is intentional, maybe it gets stolen?

Can't I give Indy mine? I have an exact replica! Just make sure he sign's it before he takes it :D

On tipoc: Thanks for the questions! Good to see the screens don't do it's justice, I can't wait to see the game in motion!

indyjones2131

Jeremiah Jones said:

1.) Are there any physics in the game at all?
2.) How well do the animations capture the character of Indy (slightly clumsy, angry in a fight, etc?)
3.) Can you shed more light on the graphics? Are they going for a slightly stylized look? Do they look better in person/motion? I ask this because of the small screens in that Nintendo Power article - they look much better than the others...
4.) How are the whip mechanics? Can you whip weapons from enemies hands? Can you use it it climb vertically as in Infernal Machine?
5.) Do puzzles play a major role/ are they well integrated or should we expect pushing blocks around?
6.) Where's Indy's satchel? Does he loose it as part of the story or are these screen in fact a bit early?

are

1- Yes.
2 - You definitely feel like you're playing indy - IMHO.
3 - The game is a tough one because the screens don't do it justice, as is the case with most wii games. Static screens just can't convey it.
4 - You're starting to get into spoiler territory now. I'll say that it's not the same as infernal machine,but the whip is used for puzzles fighting, and all the good indy stuff.
5 - The puzzles are actually really smart. I recently did one that gave me a very good eureka feeling.
6 - not saying :)

I was just about to post these. I'm not why he told me that #4 was spoiler territory... Seems odd. But at least the satchel thing is SOMEWHAT cleared up.Also, now he's saying that the screenshots DON'T do the game justice - where as before he said they're quite indicative of the game. Hm. Well, lets hope he's right and the game does look a bit better in motion. I would imagine we'll get in game vids this week sometime to coincide with the Nintendo Power article, but who knows at this point.

And if the Nintendo Power goes on SALE on the 17th, how soon will subscribers get it? Anyone have a subscription around here?

The Tingler

Those were some great answers (and questions), I'm glad there's going to be a reason for the satchel thing. The puzzle one also has me happy too.

Morning Bell

Those answers do make me feel a bit better, but then again that may be the point.;)

In any case, I'm definitely excited about this game and I hope we see it within the next few months.

Irfaan

KVoss said:
Wonder if the secret character never playable in an Indy game before is Jock...That would be kinda cool....

Nah, Jock was playable in LEGO Indy, I of the first playable mechanic characters.

Mei Ying?

Rhys135

New screens :-

75251520090208_174740_2_big.jpg

75251520090208_174740_3_big.jpg

75251520090208_174740_4_big.jpg

75251520090208_174741_5_big.jpg

indyjones2131

Holy Krap!

Those look SOOO....

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

Forget the textures and aliasing. The model itself is JUNK! And look at the bloom on his arms. Thats worse than a Barbara Walters interview. And the whip in the first screen - I can't help but compare it to the 2006 vid. This one is so stiff and just off in comparison. Maybe it's better in motion...?

RHYS, where are these screens from?

Here are some Emperors Tomb screens to make you mad:

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/17460...rors-tomb/images/indianajones_040103_001.html

Here are some Indy 2007 screens to make you livid:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...na-jones-working-title-20060506090510772.html

Last edited:

indyjones2131

The Tingler said:
Those were some great answers (and questions), I'm glad there's going to be a reason for the satchel thing. The puzzle one also has me happy too.

Thanks Tingler. I tried to ask the most loaded questions I could lol. You should post these on your site - you really have a nice collection of new info regarding this game over there.

Dr Bones

PS1 graphics.:sick:

I don't want to torch a game I haven't played but the screen shots we are seeing now when compared to 5 year old Emperors Tomb on xbox and the early shots we were promised...I am gutted.

It's like being promised a PS3 for Christmas and getting a Megadrive. It's not anything like what was promised.

If they are stupid enough tp use the original screen shots on the case...they are in serious trouble with the law!

It looks worse and worse by the day.

By the time it actually comes out it might look more like something from the SNES!:eek:

Indy's brother

75251520090208_174741_5_big.jpg
Jeremiah Jones said:

Sooo..., a visual image of the game is a terrible way to show us what it looks like.:rolleyes: If that's the case, why do static screens of other games on the Wii look better than this?

Allow me to translate:

"Hey, why does this game look like doo-doo?"
"Oh, don't be fooled by it's "looks". It's really quite pretty...jagged pixels look much better on your 42" HD flatscreen--Trust me."

Indy's brother

indyjones2131 said:
Found a pretty close comparison for the quality of these graphics:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/image_viewer/frame_lead.php?pid=582270&img=5

This is Emperor's Tomb on the PS2 and it still looks a tad better than what we are getting here in good ol 2009. But this is theh closest comparison I have seen.

Sad. Sad. Sad.

Yeah, it's actually kind of amazing how much the satchel in those ET shots makes it look more like Indy. Such a small detail. If it's exclusion from SoK is a part of the story, it must be pretty significant--there's not a single screen from SoK that shows it.

IAdventurer01

indyjones2131 said:
Found a pretty close comparison for the quality of these graphics:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/image_viewer/frame_lead.php?pid=582270&img=5

This is Emperor's Tomb on the PS2 and it still looks a tad better than what we are getting here in good ol 2009. But this is theh closest comparison I have seen.

Sad. Sad. Sad.

A tad? More than that, I think.

I keep hoping that these screens are all from just one version of the game, like the handhelds rather than the Wii or PS2.

Dr Bones

Just another "rape a franchise and don't worry how crud it is, the fanboys will lap it up and we get richer even when they complain how disappointed they are".:mad:

We should have known better.:(

Credit crunch might teach them to put more effort in as people are less likely to buy crud anymore.

One good thing about the global economic crisis...shoddy companies with poor produce sold at full price won't survive.

Karma's a comin!!!:gun: