The Lost Journal

GlasgowChivas

Perhilion said:
I WANT THIS BOOK! But perhaps it's best I don't get it now; I would probably end up looking too far ahead.

I have been onto Play.com so many times - only to cancel the order at the last minute...

I've waited nearly 20 yrs ....i can wait a few weeks more...

MUST....RESIST........

agentsands77

If any of you posters have the book and are willing to read through the end, I'd love to know the INDY IV material...

PM, perhaps?

iLUVINDY

What else does the book have?? Does it contain like pictures, tickets, clipping??? Any loose items inside the book????

iLUVINDY said:
What else does the book have?? Does it contain like pictures, tickets, clipping??? Any loose items inside the book????

No loose items in the book so it looks a bit strange when you're reading it. There are tons of photos and tickets and things like that. I haven't fully read mine yet as I was out at the KMart seeing if they had put anything out yet. They are the only store that has anything right now, and that's only the original Lego.

TalonCard

Got mine. :D

Notes (warning: SPOILERS for lost journal and Kingdom. Sort of.):

Pretty durn cool.

The design of the book is awesome. Not only makes a good read; the publishers have made a decent stab at making it look and feel like a journal. Not prop-quality, or anything, but better than I'd expected.

Does a fair job of bridging the gaps between films in a few pages.

More "expanded adventures" material included than I'd expected. Heavy references to Atlantis and some of the novels, at least one offhand Dark Horse comic mention.

Much less from Young Indy than I'd expected, but still has a lot from the series.

The quest for the Peacock's Eye continues.

Short Round follows in Indy's footsteps.

Remy (from Young Indy) still alive as of 1935.

Includes a term paper Indy never got back to a student for revision. Sometimes, it must really bite to have him as a professor. ;)

Intro seems to be written in the present day. States that Jones was known as "a collector of ancient artifacts". Is inconclusive as to whether or not Indy is still alive--he'd be about 109.

Surprising references to Indy's previous experiences with crystal skulls and UFOs from Expanded Adventures sources in the Kingdom section.

Not really a whole lot of spoilers in the end, actually. If you've been following the spoilers online and reading the old scripts, there's nothing new here.

TC

Lao_Che

Any new information on the gap from Last Crusade to Mystery of the Blues' bookends to Crystall Skull? Stuff that doesn't tie into Crystal Skull that is, or is it too soon to tell?

TalonCard

No Mystery of the Blues related stuff at all, sadly. Missed opportunity there. There is still some interesting info from inbetween Crusade and Kingdom:

Excerpt from Princeton Review article by Henry Jones, Sr., titled "The Last Crusade". ;)

Letter from Jones Sr. Not something I'd thought about, but he's got a lot of spare time on his hands now that the object he'd been searching for for forty years has been found. ;)

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis notes.

Letter from Eisenhower

Letter by a Kingdom character.

Indy was in Flensburg, Germany, for the final action of World War II.

Indy's thinking about buying a refrigerator.

Short Round is close to finding Peacock's Eye. Notes for class. Notes on nuclear dvelopment. There's more, but it's all probably Kingdom related. Still nothing you couldn't guess from the trailer.

EDIT: I could be crazy, but it looks like they photoshopped some of the older, non Chronicles pictures of Indy with a young Harrison Ford. Hmm. Pretty silly looking, and it detracts from the generally high quality of the book.

TC

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Oh, come on! Please one of you, don't hold out on me! If I was able to get this book I would have. I want to hear spoilers if anyone else is going to read it. Or at least, an entry from 1926 would be sweet!

No Ticket

This book sounds awesome. So it's already out? I see it on IJ.com but it says it ships May 9. I want to get it, but I don't want to read it and have any major spoilers for KOTCS revealed to me before I see it. So maybe I should wait?

TalonCard

No Ticket said:
This book sounds awesome. So it's already out? I see it on IJ.com but it says it ships May 9. I want to get it, but I don't want to read it and have any major spoilers for KOTCS revealed to me before I see it. So maybe I should wait?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The "story" behind the book is that Indy's journal was taken from him by the Russians during the events of Kingdom. So the end of the movie isn't given away. Mutt isn't even mentioned by name, although there's a picture of him. Spalko's first name isn't mentioned either. There are only a handful of things that aren't in the trailer, and I didn't see anything that wasn't already described in the earliest of spoiler reports or the Saucermen script.

TC

TalonCard

Violet Indy said:
Oh, come on! Please one of you, don't hold out on me! If I was able to get this book I would have. I want to hear spoilers if anyone else is going to read it. Or at least, an entry from 1926 would be sweet!

The entry for 1926 is just a sketch of a Mayan mask and some notes relating to the novel Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils. The journal then skips to 1933.

TC

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
What! That's it for '26? What tight-asses! Not one word regarding the affair with Marion and the fight with Abner and that's a big deal. I can't believe they skipped out on that. Oh well, I'll just have to hope Rob McGregor writes a novel on it...someday.

otto rahn

Violet Indy said:
What! That's it for '26? What tight-asses! Not one word regarding the affair with Marion and the fight with Abner and that's a big deal. I can't believe they skipped out on that. Oh well, I'll just have to hope Rob McGregor writes a novel on it...someday.
Me too "Violet Indy" ! I've been waiting to hear about THAT part of Indy's life ever since it was first mentioned in "Raiders" !

Adamwankenobi

TalonCard said:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The "story" behind the book is that Indy's journal was taken from him by the Russians during the events of Kingdom. So the end of the movie isn't given away. Mutt isn't even mentioned by name, although there's a picture of him. Spalko's first name isn't mentioned either. There are only a handful of things that aren't in the trailer, and I didn't see anything that wasn't already described in the earliest of spoiler reports or the Saucermen script.

TC

I certainly hope that's not how it is in the actual film, as that was part of the premise of the original YIJC: that Old Indy still has his diary, which he uses to help him recall his young adventures. :(

OhioJones

Adamwankenobi said:
I certainly hope that's not how it is in the actual film, as that was part of the premise of the original YIJC: that Old Indy still has his diary, which he uses to help him recall his young adventures. :(

Old Indy no longer exists.

Except like this:

indy4-photos-02.jpg

;)

Adamwankenobi

OhioJones said:
Old Indy no longer exists.

Except like this:

indy4-photos-02.jpg

;)

Here's a man who might disagree with ya: ;)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kmk087Iv-YQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kmk087Iv-YQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>