Should an Indy movie ever venture further into horror?

Raiders90

TOD touched on the sort of pulpy, 1930s dime novel kind of horror--but it was that cheap, blood and guts kind of horror. I'm wondering if anyone else thinks (if the next movie is set in the '60s) it could touch on the kind of supernatural, subtle horror like that of EC Comics, or HP Lovecraft (maybe even something vaguely like Cthulu or the Necronomicon), or The Twilight Zone? Not the cheap sort of cheesy horror of TOD, but darker, edgier. TOD without the silly parts. Indy meets HP Lovecraft or Rod Sterling.

The Drifter

I would personally love to see the next Indy film (if there is one) have Lovecraftian undertones. I adore H.P Lovecraft and his stories, and I love the mythos that he had created.
As you mentioned; we've seen Indy delve a bit into the occult, and black magic (could one call it that?) in Temple of Doom (and, I must note that I feel that it's more than just blood and guts horror), and that aspect helps it rise above to be my favorite of the films.
And at any rate, a lot of pulp has it's hands in the dirty mire of horror. As long as Indy is not fighting demons or gets chased by an axe wielding maniac, I could see it working. Just as long as they keep it on the more mysterious and chilling side.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
...it could touch on the kind of supernatural, subtle horror like that of EC Comics, or HP Lovecraft (maybe even something vaguely like Cthulu or the Necronomicon)...Indy meets HP Lovecraft...

Definitely.

Indy goes on holiday to a village on the Maine coast, takes a boat trip out to an island, finds an old house and a creepy new mystery with a bunch of weird cultists. Then he'll be drawn into those big dark mainland forests...

Indy's brother

More horror than KOTCS, same amount as ROTLA. The TOD level is ok, put pushing it, unless it's necessary for the story. The real question is if another one is ever made, will it get back to the original amount of horror? Going past the level that's already been established could seem pretty odd after the light-er tone of the last two.

Raiders90

Indy's brother said:
More horror than KOTCS, same amount as ROTLA. The TOD level is ok, put pushing it, unless it's necessary for the story. The real question is if another one is ever made, will it get back to the original amount of horror? Going past the level that's already been established could seem pretty odd after the light-er tone of the last two.

It might be seen as a nice change, actually. I mean people derided the humor in the last one. Just as the humorous nature of LC was an extreme turnaround from the perceived darkness of TOD, I predict a smaller (but similar) boomerang in tone if they make a new one. GL and SS are very keen, IMO, on what the film's weak points (as pointed out by fans and reviewers) are. I wouldn't be surprised if they have people (perhaps R&D type people or something) checking out sites just like this one, getting feelers for what the fans want to see and what they disliked about CS.

Mickiana

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a smart arse. Maybe a bit, actually. But I seriously don't want an Indy story straying too far from archaeology. I know he is an expert on the occult, but there has to be a good archaeological reason/object for the adventure.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a smart arse. Maybe a bit, actually.

You didn't sound like one, Mickiana. :)

Mickiana said:
But I seriously don't want an Indy story straying too far from archaeology. I know he is an expert on the occult, but there has to be a good archaeological reason/object for the adventure.

I understand what you mean, but Indy doesn't do much traditional archaeological work, as in careful digging (apart from the off-screen work in KOTCS). He does more investigative and deductive work, before entering an historical or esoterical site (usually some form of temple). I would see slotting Indy into Lovecraft's world as along those lines: uncovering some ancient artifact, which may hold the key to something arcane. Something protected by a group of dangerous cultistis.

DoomsdayFAN

I would say yes. First and foremost though, keep it very action-adventure oriented, but I would love to see some strong horror undertones. (y)

As long as it's not too lite and bubbley and childish like KOTCS. :sick:

TheMutt92

I remember seeing the trailer for KOTCS, particularly the part where Indy says "Guarded by the Living Dead"... I thought those natives were going to have so much more depth to them. Probably one of my biggest complaints w/ that movie has to be their wasted presence. But back on topic, I wouldn't mind something like the Living Dead (maybe not quite zombies how we see them today). There was an Indy book a couple of years ago I believe that dealt w/ that...

Sharkey

TheMutt92 said:
I remember seeing the trailer for KOTCS, particularly the part where Indy says "Guarded by the Living Dead"... I thought those natives were going to have so much more depth to them. Probably one of my biggest complaints w/ that movie has to be their wasted presence. But back on topic, I wouldn't mind something like the Living Dead (maybe not quite zombies how we see them today). There was an Indy book a couple of years ago I believe that dealt w/ that...
Army of the Dead?

Sharkey

TheMutt92 said:
Yeah, I just looked it up. That's the one I was thinking of.
Maybe look these things up first and then figure out something to say and we can get something rolling around here.

Dr.Jonesy

DoomsdayFAN said:
As long as it's not too lite and bubbley and childish like KOTCS. :sick:

I love how two people on The Raven who hate KOTCS also have TOD avatars.
lol

And speaking of childish, TOD had a child as a sidekick and if the campfire scene wasn't the most childish scene of the series...then I'm not sure what is.

:D

And Indy sort of delved into a tiny fraction of horror with TOD...but I think the whole Adventure/Religion/SciFi thing does fit Indy better. Horror and Adventure does not mix as well.

:hat:

Dr.Jonesy said:
...I think the whole Adventure/Religion/SciFi thing does fit Indy better.
The only fit Sci Fi has with Indy is revisionist imaginings of lazy uneducated fools to be debunked. It brought nothing new to the "concept," a word I use loosely because it implies coherent thought.

Dr.Jonesy said:
Horror and Adventure does not mix as well.:hat:

Really?

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:
Horror and Adventure does not mix as well.

Rocket Surgeon said:

Really indeedy.

I'd say that horror and adventure go hand in glove like cheese and tomato, or eggy weggs with soldiers. Horror is the extreme sense of danger, and what's an adventure without a bit of danger?

Montana Smith said:
Horror is the extreme sense of danger, and what's an adventure without a bit of danger?
Agreed, the only question is HOW graphic. I myself prefer suspense and menace to extreme bloodletting.

The main question proposed is "further" which I think is fine depending upon execution. Pun intended.