SyFy joins Alice in Wonderland

RedeemedChild

Agent Crab said:
You need some sense of humour, kiddo.

I don't like Dark, Gothy "kid" stuff where all the goth kiddies flock to the nearest Hot Topic in their Jack Sekelton, Naruto, Invader Zim and Mad Hatter shirts.

Cool Agent Crab. However, not to go off topic of "Alice in Wonderland", but I bet after taking a look at it (The Count of Monte Cristo: Gankutsuou) you'll agree that that was one sweeping good anime. By far it might be the best anime ever made!

Anyway I do think Tim Burton is still a good movie maker. Afterall Alice in Wonderland has proven a magical cash cow for Disney earning 116.6 million dollars. That's saying something man.

Agent Crab

RedeemedChild said:
Cool Agent Crab. However, not to go off topic of "Alice in Wonderland", but I bet after taking a look at it (The Count of Monte Cristo: Gankutsuou) you'll agree that that was one sweeping good anime. By far it might be the best anime ever made!

Anyway I do think Tim Burton is still a good movie maker. Afterall Alice in Wonderland has proven a magical cash cow for Disney earning 116.6 million dollars. That's saying something man.

I don't like anime, kid. Most anime has gone south in tearms of quailty and animation. Stuff from the 80's and 70's were alot better than Naruto, Bleach and Saiyuki. I perfer guys looking like guys in Animation.

And still, Of course it'll make money. It's Tim Burton and it does seem to have an age range crowd from what I heard.

Then again, to each of their own.

RedeemedChild said:
Anyway Agent Crab I know understand how you feel about Tim Burton but I must admit that I like shadowry, strange and abnoral stuff (macabre anyone?) like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and The Twilight Zone.

Pagan Idolatry!

end-nigh.jpg

metalinvader

RedeemedChild said:
WOW MetalInvader. You have no respect for anyone. BTW I have two girlfriends and I know women but I don't have to prove that a to hearltess loser like you. BTW I am sick of people like you not repecting the likes and tastes of others. I never make fun of you or stuff that you. Just because you don't Bleach or Naruto or The Count of Monte Cristo: Gankutsuou or Twilight Saga does not give you the authority to make demonic, unkind remarks about me or anyone else.

People must learn to live in their worlds and stop sticking their long noses in other people's business. What I choose to watch is of no concern of yours. If you don't like Twilight then fine and if I like it then fine. Watch what you want to watch and I'll watch what I dern well please to watch.

Anyway Agent Crab I know understand how you feel about Tim Burton but I must admit that I like shadowry, strange and abnoral stuff (macabre anyone?) like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and The Twilight Zone.

LOLZ!!! No.

You know woman who exist only over the computer and exist only in your fruit cake anime.You're probably into furries too.

Unless we are talking about your sister because I'm sure you give her some sweet bible 'thumping' all night long.

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

This is Redeemed Child and Resident Alien to a T

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oMVAc0pgnOw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oMVAc0pgnOw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Montana Smith

During a Pirates of the Caribbean high I picked up the DVD of Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

Johnny Depps' disturbing visage as the Mad Hatter on both front and back covers of the DVD put me off watching it.

I had to summon Dutch courage to put the disc into the machine.

Glad that I did, as this film was different to expected. Okay, so the Hatter is still creepy, as is Matt Lucas' Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Yet the story is more of an adult fairytale masquerading as Disney sprog-fodder.

The dark undertone that filters through Lewis Carroll's original stories is amped up by Burton. Wonderland is Underland, with the violence and cruelty so often bubbling to the surface.

There's an all-encompassing theme to the tale: opium.

Alice's strange 'dreams' are undoubtedly 'pipe dreams' linked to the hallucinations from the taking of opium. From her father's business intentions at the beginning, the drugs that make her change size, Absalom's blowing of smoke in her eyes, through to the final opening of trade with China - which was primarily the forcing of opium from India onto the country in exchange for goods.

The intention is hammered home in the final scene. Absalom the hookah-smoking caterpillar is with Alice as a butterfly. The hookah originated in north western India for the smoking of opium and hashish.

I like this other, darker level brought to the fore. Cute characters offset the creepier ones, and overall the imagery is appealing, with exemplary acting, voice work and CGI.

As for the Mad Hatter himself, Depp mentioned millinery and mercury, which assists in accepting the visage

The use of mercury compounds in 19th century hat making and the resulting effects are well-established - mercury poisoning is still known today as 'Mad Hatter's disease'.

Hatters commonly suffered from 'hatter's shakes', a form of nerve damage which gave symptoms similar to Parkinson's Disease and which is still known today as 'Mad Hatter's Syndrome'. A neurotoxicologist correspondent of mine has put forward the view that hatters could have been mad in either or both of the 'angry' or 'insane' senses. He states that "Mercury exposure can cause aggressiveness, mood swings, and anti-social behaviour. It is therefore likely that the mercury in hat making did led to 'mad' hatters both in terms of rationality and plain old grumpiness."

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/mad-as-a-hatter.html

Last edited: