Are/were the Batman fans responsible for a lot of the hate?

Dr.Jonesy

Montana Smith said:
And I never grew up. :D

I'm trying to reverse myself, to be quite frank. I never let myself be a kid when I was one, so I'm hitting 20 years old soon and I'm wondering whether I should be less of a stick in the mud and have some fun instead of be in the library and such. School/work is my prime focus and I've been the same personality wise since I was 11, so I'm wondering whether I've wasted alot of my youth so far.

:confused:

But good on you for keeping a young mind!

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
@EVERYBODY:
Many homosexuals feel a connection with superheroes because of the 'secret identity' thing. Are you Batman fans homosexuals?:confused: (No malice intended..Just a question, eh?)

You mean it's all Brokebat Mountain?

019.gif

Attila the Professor

Staff member
You guys are starting to look an awful lot like the rest of the internet with your alternately bizarre and childish treatment of homosexuality here. Move on from it.

Vance

Stoo said:
@Marshall2288:
Of course you are free to enjoy anything you like...but things would be better if Raven members were into "adventure" stuff/films rather than superhero sh*t.:rolleyes:

You do realize that action-adventure films and superhero films both come from the same source, right? Are you really not familiar with the origins of Detective Comics, Action Comics, and the like? You're taking your hatred of the Batman franchise to a pretty disturbing level here...

Besides, it wasn't an either/or thing. Nobody at the theatre or at Amazon.com is saying "You may only choose one movie this year... so choose wisely".

Stoo

Vance said:
You do realize that action-adventure films and superhero films both come from the same source, right?
No, they aren't from the same source!:rolleyes: You do realize that, right?.:whip:
Vance said:
Are you really not familiar with the origins of Detective Comics, Action Comics, and the like? You're taking your hatred of the Batman franchi to a pretty disturbing level here...

Besides, it wasn't an either/or thing. Nobody at the theatre or at Amazon.com is saying "You may only choose one movie this year... so choose wisely".
"Disturbing"?:confused: Yes, I'm very aware of the origins but you are, unfortunately, mistaken by my aversion. I NEVER, EVER said that a person had to make a choice between Indy and the Batdork. (The "either/or thing" is for someone else, not me.)

For the record, I like the '60s "Batman" TV series but the overwhelming love here at The Raven for the Dork Knight (and superheroes in general) is disgusting!:sick:

Last edited:

Forbidden Eye

Stoo said:
@Marshall2288:
Of course you are free to enjoy anything you like...but things would be better if Raven members were into "adventure" stuff/films rather than superhero sh*t.:rolleyes:

There's room for both(and I see fandom of both equally on these forums). Who says you can't like both?

Stoo said:
For the record, I like the '60s "Batman" TV series but the overwhelming love here at The Raven for the Dork Knight (and superheroes in general) is disgusting!:sick:

Someone outside could argue that someone who has overwhelming love for Indiana Jones to the point that he posts on a forum dedicated to it and passionately argues with strangers about it(or complaining some aren't talking about it enough) is "disgusting".

Dr.Jonesy

Forbidden Eye said:
Someone outside could argue that someone who has overwhelming love for Indiana Jones to the point that he posts on a forum dedicated to it and passionately argues with strangers about it(or complaining some aren't talking about it enough) is "disgusting".

Indeed...

*Looks at post count...495..."Craaaaaap.....":eek: *

Dr.Jonesy

Stoo - -

I grew up loving Indiana Jones and Batman. But I do not understand your hate for 'The Dark Knight'! I can get that you'd get annoyed at the 'overwhelming' love for it, because the love for such films like TDK or The Avengers is overwhelming to the point of ridiculousness at times. But to be ridiculing it is going a bit extreme. Dislike it all you want but don't get on the Raveners here for loving it.
;)

But don't diss on Batman. He is the bomb diggity!
:whip:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
No, they aren't from the same source!:rolleyes: You do realize that, right?.:whip:

They all emerged from the printed word and developed into film.

Not all 'super-heroes' are super-powered. The only difference between Indy and Zorro, The Spider or The Batman is that he doesn't wear a mask. But he does wear an identifiable uniform which the audience recognizes as 'adventure gear'.

When he's not on adventure he's leading an almost respectable existence as a bespectacled, awkward college professor.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
You guys are starting to look an awful lot like the rest of the internet with your alternately bizarre and childish treatment of homosexuality here. Move on from it.

Good work Agent Horse. You're the white knight this city needs in its defence against the encroaching evil of the internet.

If it weren't for your tireless duty this whole borough would also be awash with pictures of funny cats.

Never fear, whereever there is trouble I'll be there.

I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too. - The Grapes of Wrath

And staying in that period, but not really on topic, in 1943 Batman took on the agents of Hirohito to prevent Japan from acquiring a superweapon.

In 1936 Indiana Jones took on the agents of Hitler to prevent Germany from acquiring a superweapon.

This was a period when their paths were more in alignment.

Stoo

Dr.Jonesy said:
I grew up loving Indiana Jones and Batman. But I do not understand your hate for 'The Dark Knight'! I can get that you'd get annoyed at the 'overwhelming' love for it, because the love for such films like TDK or The Avengers is overwhelming to the point of ridiculousness at times. But to be ridiculing it is going a bit extreme. Dislike it all you want but don't get on the Raveners here for loving it.
;)
You'll have to excuse me because I'm venting out of frustration.:eek: I don't understand why modern, superhero movies get so much attention from Ravenheads rather than adventure films from the '30-'50s (Indy's era). For example: More than a week ago, in the "Cliffhangers" thread, Montana Smiffy posted his reviews of the 2 Batman serials. Guess how many of the self-professed Batman fans commented? NONE!:rolleyes:
Montana Smith said:
They all emerged from the printed word and developed into film.
That's an over-simplification. Novels from the 1880s and comic books from the late 1930s aren't the same thing.:p
Montana Smith said:
Not all 'super-heroes' are super-powered. The only difference between Indy and Zorro, The Spider or The Batman is that he doesn't wear a mask. But he does wear an identifiable uniform which the audience recognizes as 'adventure gear'.

When he's not on adventure he's leading an almost respectable existence as a bespectacled, awkward college professor.
There are several more differences than just a mask. I already addressed this in posts #70 and #90 but will do it again...just for you, Smiffy!;)

When Indiana Jones wears his 'adventure gear':
- People still call him, Dr. Jones. They don't call him, Whipman.
- He doesn't hide his face like many superheroes do.
- He doesn't have a secret lair.
- He doesn't have a logo on his chest.
- He wears normal clothes. He doesn't dress up in colourful, full-bodied underwear & prance around in Peter Pan boots.
- He doesn't speak with a different voice like the Dork Knight does (nor talk to people who know his 'secret' with the dumb, alternate voice like the Dork Knight does).

Zorro is a superhero?:confused: Anyway, Smiff, since you mentioned him (like Raiders112390 did):
- Unlike Dr. Jones, Zorro hides his identity with a mask.
- Unlike Dr. Jones, Zorro uses a completely different name.
- Unlike Dr. Jones, Zorro changes his voice (and his accent) in the '30s serials.
Montana Smith said:
I'm a big fan of the Bat and his many incarnations, but he's a different creature to Indiana Jones.
Indeed!:gun:

Last edited:

mattzilla2010

Stoo said:
I don't understand why modern, superhero movies get so much attention from Ravenheads rather than adventure films from the '30-'50s (Indy's era).
Can't speak for everyone, but I bet at least for the younger Ravenheads it's because they have no particular attachment to actual '30s-'50s adventure films, just Indy. A lot of people are on here because they were introduced to Indy as kids and have been fans ever since, not because they are fans of the films Spielberg & Lucas drew inspiration from. I, for example, have never seen any Republic adventure serials, Gunga Din, etc.

Superheroes are just another thing that people may have developed a strong attachment to as young kids. They've been able to stick with it thanks largely to comic books "growing up" alongside their fanbase around the 80s or so.

I like Indy because he's a larger-than-life hero who you can root for as he beats up bad guys. I like Batman because he's a larger-than-life hero who you can root for as he beats up bad guys. Batman may be significantly less realistic than Indy (or more "dorky"), so if it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea. Requires a bigger imagination, perhaps.

But people loooove superheroes - box office numbers for Avengers and stuff are proof. So why are you surprised that Raveners love them too? It's kind of a universal thing.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
There are several more differences than just a mask. I already addressed this in posts #70 and #90 but will do it again...just for you, Smiffy!;)

When Indiana Jones wears his 'adventure gear':
- People still call him, Dr. Jones. They don't call him, Whipman.
- He doesn't hide his face like many superheroes do.
- He doesn't have a secret lair.
- He doesn't have a logo on his chest.
- He wears normal clothes. He doesn't dress up in colourful, full-bodied underwear & prance around in Peter Pan boots.
- He doesn't speak with a different voice like the Dork Knight does (nor talk to people who know his 'secret' with the dumb, alternate voice like the Dork Knight does).

Zorro is a superhero?:confused: Anyway, Smiff, since you mentioned him (like Raiders112390 did):
- Unlike Dr. Jones, Zorro hides his identity with a mask.
- Unlike Dr. Jones, Zorro uses a completely different name.
- Unlike Dr. Jones, Zorro changes his voice (and his accent) in the '30s serials.
Indeed!:gun:

Neither Batman nor Zorro were super-powered, so technically neither of them were superheroes. They're much closer to Indiana Jones than good fairies like Superman.

Zorro, Batman and Indy all dressed up to take on the bad guys. Indy's uniform was based on the same pattern for at least 22 years. He just happened to be a little less conspicuous than Spy Smasher, and he didn't care if people knew who he was.

Indy is at once both costumed crime fighter and costumed thief.

Stoo

mattzilla2010 said:
Can't speak for everyone, but I bet at least for the younger Ravenheads it's because they have no particular attachment to actual '30s-'50s adventure films, just Indy. A lot of people are on here because they were introduced to Indy as kids and have been fans ever since, not because they are fans of the films Spielberg & Lucas drew inspiration from. I, for example, have never seen any Republic adventure serials, Gunga Din, etc.

Superheroes are just another thing that people may have developed a strong attachment to as young kids. They've been able to stick with it thanks largely to comic books "growing up" alongside their fanbase around the 80s or so.
Mattzilla, you don?t post often but when you do, it is usually a voice of commendable reason.:hat: However?

I, too, ?grew up? with superheroes (watching the TV shows & cartoons, buying the comic books) but my interest in the genre diminished when ?Raiders? came along in 1981. It was Indiana Jones who inspired me to watch & appreciate ?30s-?50s adventure films. By the time I reached my mid-to-late teens, superheroes were out of the picture. (After high school, I went to art college and the few guys who were still into superheroes at that age were the BIGGEST NERDS on campus!:eek:)
mattzilla2010 said:
I like Indy because he's a larger-than-life hero who you can root for as he beats up bad guys. I like Batman because he's a larger-than-life hero who you can root for as he beats up bad guys. Batman may be significantly less realistic than Indy (or more "dorky"), so if it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea.
Indy isn't really a "larger-than-life hero". HE GETS BEATEN UP like a regular man and wins (largely) by sheer luck!
mattzilla2010 said:
Requires a bigger imagination, perhaps.
My imagination is endless...;)
mattzilla2010 said:
But people loooove superheroes - box office numbers for Avengers and stuff are proof. So why are you surprised that Raveners love them too? It's kind of a universal thing.
One would THINK that Indy fans should have more interest in the ?adventure genre? than the ?superhero genre?.:rolleyes:

Note: Before ?Crystal Skull? and ?Dork Night? were released in 2008, there wasn?t much superhero talk here at The Raven.

P.S. It?s sad that you haven?t seen ?Gunga Din?. One of the best adventure films ever made!:whip:

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Neither Batman nor Zorro were super-powered, so technically neither of them were superheroes. They're much closer to Indiana Jones than good fairies like Superman.

Zorro, Batman and Indy all dressed up to take on the bad guys. Indy's uniform was based on the same pattern for at least 22 years. He just happened to be a little less conspicuous than Spy Smasher,...
Smiff, bearing in mind that we're buddies: This is the biggest bunch of bollocks you have ever bothered to bestow upon The Raven!:gun:

1) Who ever said that Zorro is a superhero?:confused: Why is he even being mentioned?:confused:

2) Indy is NOT a vigilante! He doesn?t actively seek out bad behaviour in a personal fight for justice. Trouble finds Indy, not vice-versa.

3) Batman may not have super-powers but he does have an array of super-science-fiction gadgets & vehicles. Indy doesn?t use any ?high-tech? equipment.

4) You?re blowing this ?dress up to take on the bad guys? thing way out of proportion. Indy doesn?t intentionally ?dress up? for the specific purpose of fighting bad guys. (Heck, he gets into scrapes no matter what he wears?Shanghai, Venice, etc.) Indy?s outfit is an ensemble of normal articles of clothing. He doesn?t skip/prance around in a cape, full-bodied leotards, faerie boots and a hood with pointed ears.
Montana Smith said:
...he didn't care if people knew who he was.
The fact that Indy doesn?t disguise himself is THE big difference.:gun:
Montana Smith said:
Indy is at once both costumed crime fighter and costumed thief.
Ridiculous...Please, be real, will ya?:whip:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
1) Who ever said that Zorro is a superhero?:confused: Why is he even being mentioned?:confused:

Zorro was a proto-Batman. Had his own Zorrocave and all.

Indy's 'Adventure Gear' is a recognizable costume. There are enough cosplayers here to attest to that.

Nobody else in his world dresses like Indy, apart from Fedora, his inspiration.

He's a costumed mercenary, thief, vandal and occasional do-gooder.

His bullwhip was unique enough for Willie to refer to him as "a lion tamer". (The whip also being a nod to Zorro).

In Raiders he's a character with a split personality. Stuttering bespectacled professor and daredevil tomb raider.

Indy is now far more of a super-powered character than Batman. Whoever heard of a mere mortal not only surviving an atomic blast in a refrigerator, but also surviving such a hard landing?

It's a costume. Get over it. :p

Furthermore, Indy now currently resides in a tongue-in-cheek world which has far more similarity to Adam West's Batman. Only it doesn't suit Indy.

Oh, and Mutt is his Robin. Holy phony Jonesy, Batman.

mattzilla2010

Stoo said:
Mattzilla, you don’t post often but when you do, it is usually a voice of commendable reason.:hat:
Thanks Stoo. :hat: I appreciate your ability to generate discussions that I find genuinely interesting. My post count would be even less if not for your magic bag of intriguing discussion topics... ;)

Stoo said:
I, too, “grew up” with superheroes (watching the TV shows & cartoons, buying the comic books) but my interest in the genre diminished when “Raiders” came along in 1981. It was Indiana Jones who inspired me to watch & appreciate ‘30s-‘50s adventure films. By the time I reached my mid-to-late teens, superheroes were out of the picture. (After high school, I went to art college and the few guys who were still into superheroes at that age were the BIGGEST NERDS on campus!:eek:)
I'd say you just barely missed out on where in really started getting interesting then. :D I think a benchmark for making the genre more serious came in the form of Frank Miller's 1986 "The Dark Knight Returns" (not to be confused with Chris Nolan's upcoming The Dark Knight Rises, of course). Someone may need to fact-check me, but I believe this was one of the first superhero stories not aimed at children. In fact, it's outright inappropriate for kids.

Anyway, I was born in '92, so I was growing up when superheroes were really starting to become popular among the general public and not a thing restricted to nerds. I mean, obviously I'm a nerd because I get way more into it than most people. But nowadays that's basically considered "cool", what with events like Comic-Con at absolute heights of popularity even among folks who aren't hardcore comic book fans. And as I pointed out before, as a film genre superheroes have been extremely popular among the general public, especially for the past 10 years.

Basically they've gone a lot more mainstream and certainly a lot more "adult" (for better or for worse) since you gave them up. :) Batman logo t-shirts are rather fashionable on college campuses these days.

And besides, you can't really call out superhero fans for being nerds when you're posting on an Indiana Jones fan board. :p

Stoo said:
Indy isn't really a "larger-than-life hero". HE GETS BEATEN UP like a regular man and wins (largely) by sheer luck!
batman-5-cover.jpg

varley-color-01.jpg

1108063-1066483_batman_497_22_knightfall__part_11_super.jpg

And don't be silly Stoo, Indiana Jones is just as L.T.L.™ as Batman. Let me put it this way: if someone in real life tried to do the things that either of these characters do, they'd be dead before the day was out. Every scrap Indy gets into would kill a real person, yet he gets into several of these situations and escapes them through pure luck. At least Batman has a bunch of impossibly high-tech gadgets, which in my opinion are just as unrealistic as a ridiculous streak of luck.

Stoo said:
My imagination is endless...;)
(y)

Stoo said:
One would THINK that Indy fans should have more interest in the ‘adventure genre’ than the ‘superhero genre’.:rolleyes:
Hrm... I still don't think you've entirely convinced me of this. The similarities are there. But then again they probably weren't circa 1981, so I can understand your frustration.

But I don't think things like "The Further Adventures" would've happened if there wasn't a common audience somewhere between the two. Remove all the trappings and you still have two heroes who we root for as they beat up the bad guys. I don't think you need anything more to justify an interest in both.

Stoo said:
Note: Before “Crystal Skull” and “Dork Night” were released in 2008, there wasn’t much superhero talk here at The Raven.
It's "Dark Knight" actually.

Well, maybe 'cause too many darn kids like me are joining up. I dunno. The Dark Knight was a phenomenon that obliterated all superhero movie records that came before it and gave the genre new levels of popularity among the general populace. And it was already popular thanks to things like Raimi's Spider-Man movies.

2008 was the first time in 19 years that an Indiana Jones movie and a Batman movie were released in the same summer. Kind of a big deal and I'm not surprised it prompted discussion, especially since Dark Knight was so well-received and Indy fell flat for a lot of people.

For the record, I never once thought to compare the two. And no, I don't think at all that the "Batman fans" were responsible for a lot of the hate. I saw both twice in theaters and I loved both (well, maybe I was a tad disappointed in Crystal Skull). But anyways...

Stoo said:
P.S. It’s sad that you haven’t seen “Gunga Din”. One of the best adventure films ever made!:whip:
It's somewhere on my 16-page Word doc of movies I need to see.

There, page 5, I checked. I'll be getting it from Netflix in no time. ;)