death scenes

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm not going to open this thread with a long list, like I usually do, but I think it's something we ought to discuss - great movie death scenes.

Indy has a number of good ones, particularly the ones during the Ark...Toht's the one everybody remembers...plus the German mechanic.

I'll just mention one other for starters...in Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, a Japanese retelling of Macbeth, Toshiro Mifune is giving a motivational speech to his army, but they turn on him, and he winds up looking like a walking pin-cushion filled with arrows, including one through the neck by the time he's dead.

00Kevin

Indyfan
the last 5 bond films have ended with spectacular villian deaths

LTK: sanchez"you could have had everything"
bond-"don't you want to know why?"
(holds up a light with the names of 2 friends of bond who snaches killed and tortured)
*lights the liter, as sanches is covered in gas....yeah :D

GE: "for england james?"
"no.....for me." *lets go*
alec falls to his doom, later..the satellite falls on him :D

TND-"you forgot the first rule of mass media elliot!!!! GIVE THE PEOPLE WANT THEY WANT!!!" *holds elliot in place where he gets sliced and diced and slaughtered by a drill*

TWINE: bond"are you really ganna commit suicide for her?"(electra king)
"you forget, I'm already dead"
"havn't you heard?............so is she"
"you're lieing! AHHHHH!!! LIER!!!" (locks bond under the floor)
"she's waiting for you!" *bond pulls a lever, sending a plutonium rod into renard, impaling him* :D

DAD: bond is on the ground, defeated by gustav graves
graves:" you see mr. bond, you can't kill me dreams, but my dreams can kill you........time to face destiny..."
bond pulls graves's parachute, graves then hangs out of the plane, right in front of the propellor
bond "time to face gravity" *pushed button, electricuting graves*

*graves flies into propellor......OUCH* :D

[Edited by 00Kevin on 06-19-2003 at 09:41 pm]

swords

Apocolapse Now: hacked to death by a sword.
Scarface: Shot repeatedly...and repeatedly...and repeatedly...and...
Zombie: impaled by a wood splinter through the eye.
Die Hard: Hans falling death, though it does look a little corney.

Darn, thats all. Of course theres Pcycho, Braveheart, Gladiator, but those are obvious...

00Kevin

Indyfan
die hard, good one

lots of good ones in the die hard trivia

DH2: the lighter lights a trail of gasoline to a plane....BOOM!!!!!

DH2: the major falls into the propellor

DH3: the line comes down and blows up the chopper

and they're all toped by one of the best lines ever:

"Yippee-ki-yay, m***********!"

crude, but I love that line :D.....

swords

Oh, Deer Hunter too(Russian rollette). BTW, I guess this belongs on the Bond table, but I personally liked the one in Live and Let Die at the end where the voodoo(?) villian literally blows up.

And Fargo had someone shoved through an wood cutter.

Now Im reminded of Jaws, the sailor/pirate who gets chomped on in half by..Jaws.

On a lighter note, some one like Ben Kenobi had a nice, even poetic death scene.

A cool death scene was Agent Smith's in the first Matrix.

John Woo orchastrates action to awesome effect, a noteworthy death is in the Chinese import The Killer where someone is shot after a heroic battle in a church. Sorry for being vague, but I remember it was very melodramatic and I seen the movie a while back but its very memorable.

15 Minutes had an unexpected death scene similiar to the Killer, but Im saying too much as it is so I'll stop now to prevent spoiling the movie.

swords

"Yippee K-yay mother-----" is a staple, a great and simple line, one of the best.

Come to think of it, I think DH 2 had the best death scene in the whole trilogy, even better than the Gruber one. DH 3 was kind of blah, but still better would have been the original scene in Europe where McClane kills Simon through his own game via a rocket propelled launcher, dark, but it would have been great!

00Kevin

Indyfan
yeah, that was swell

the Die HArd films (expecially #1) are some of the best, with some of the best lines ever

go to the IMDB.com die hard quote page, so many GREAT lines

swords

"Well no s--- lady, does it sound like Im ordering a pizza?!!"

"Yeah, come to the party, have some fun---" *mumbles*"Now I know how a...T.V dinner feels like."

"Who's driving, Stevie Wonder?"

"AAAA! Wrong answer as----, want to try 20 questions?"

"Wooo! Back in Nam!"
"That was in high school, d--- head!"

"Hans, boobie, Im your main man."

Just off the top of my head, very memorable and hilerius, most of the curtesy goes to McClane(Willis) himself though!:D

Pale Horse

Staff member
If I were to say most shocking, I think Brad Pitt's character in Meet Joe Black has a pretty astonishing death. In my opinion it is worth sitting through the whole movie for that brief moment.

If it is just for enjoyment, I thoroughly am entertained and amused from almost every death that occurs in Sam Riami's little known classic film, the Quick and the Dead, as well as Robert Rodriquez's choreographed ballet of dying in the Bar scene in Desperado.

Only E.T.'s death made me cry....

swords

*Gains composure*

The Meet Joe Black one was so adrupt, but I didn't have to sit through the whole movie to see it.;)

Anyway, others worth mentioning are Deep Blue Sea, Ghost Ship(the beginning, what else?), Rules of Engagement(the retiliation scene,), Saving Private Ryan has a lot of brutal portrayals, and a noteworthy one is the sniper action near the middle.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ben Kenobi...that reminds me of the almost Shakespearean chaos of the deaths of the British colonel, the Japanese colonel, the William Holden commando, the young commando, and all the Japanese soldiers on the bridge or train...that was quite a scene...Alec Guinness, once again though, has the best death - staggering around after being hit by shrapnel, and then falling on the plunger, and blowing up the bridge.

And I guess the first death in Jaws, the skinny dipper, was kind of memorable too...really the great image of the film.

White Heat...that's the one where Jimmy Cagney yells out "top of the world, ma!"

Bonnie and Clyde - their deaths in the car...set the standard for film violence from then on

Might as well include this, under "famous last words" - "Rosebud," from Citizen Kane

The Godfather, and The Godfather Part II - there's a lot in these-here's a few:

-Michael's killing of the two guys in the restaurant
-Sonny at the tollbooths
-The godfather in the tomato plants
-the entire baptism sequence
-the killing of the guy in the white suit by de Niro
-Fredo in the boat

Lawrence of Arabia executing Gasim, the man who he rescued.

Little Caesar - "Mother of Mercy, is this the end of Rico?"

Well, I guess that's enough.

Oh, yes, there was a thread like this on another board I went to! Okay, I'm gonna list some obvious ones here, but...

Neville Sinclair (The Rocketeer): Cliff removes the gum wad covering the leak and slides it to Sinclair. Sinclair straps it on with a bunch of rocket fuel leaking all over the place and takes off. Mid-air LIGHTS UP INTO A FIREBALL and crashes into the "LAND" segment of the "HOLLYWOODLAND" sign! (Oh, yeah, that was a good one)

Lothar (The Rocketeer): Is stuck on the zeppelin, and gets blown up in the huge explosion.

Sharptooth (The Land Before Time): The dinos push a large boulder off a cliff onto the Sharptooth, causing him to plummet into a deep body of water.

Radioactive Man (Superman IV: The Quest for Peace): Superman throws him in a nuclear power plant.

Frollo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame '96): He is hanging on a gargoyle, sees the eyes light up, and slips, falling into some boiling molten liquid on the ground.

Darth Maul (you know): Obi-Wan chops him in half with his lightsaber, Maul falls into the pit.

Judge Doom (Who Framed Roger Rabbit): After Doom reveals his toon form, Eddie turns a valve and Dip goes flying everywhere, but mainly on Doom and he melts.

Captain Hook (Hook): Peter sticks Hook's hook into the Croc's belly. The barriers start to break apart, and the Croc falls mouth first on Hook, eating him.

That's all for now.

P.S.: EDIT: Dang it! Thanks for the spoiler, man, I haven't finished Bridge on the River Kwai yet!

[Edited by Ben Friend of Indy on 06-20-2003 at 08:49 am]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ben Friend of Indy said:
P.S.: EDIT: Dang it! Thanks for the spoiler, man, I haven't finished Bridge on the River Kwai yet!

[Edited by Ben Friend of Indy on 06-20-2003 at 08:49 am]

Oh, sorry...that never occured to me.

Anyway, your mention of Judge Doom reminded me of the one of the classic death scenes...the Wicked Witch of the West.

That's okay. There's still so much other stuff to the movie, I'm sure.

Yeah, I thought about putting up TWWotW.

All right, today I'm getting some help from my younger sister to remember the cool villain demises for Disney and other cartoon movies :D.

Shun-Yu (Mulan): Mushu lights a large firework that fires into Shun-Yu and blows him up (have you noticed I have a thing for villains blowing up?).

Ursula (The Little Mermaid): The mast on the boat Eric is steering falls onto the boat, and the front of it is jagged. Eric steers the boat into Ursula, and the mast pierces her, and she blows up into pieces.

Rasputin (Anastasia): Sort of combining Return of Jafar, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Anastasia crushes the Vial of Rasputin's Soul. Then, a beam from the sky hits him, and he melts down to a skeleton that desinigrates.

Hopper (A Bug's Life): Flik leads Hopper to a bird's nest. The mother bird es Hopper off the ground and feeds him to her chicks.

The Wicked Queen (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs): I'm mainly mentioning this because it's the first villain in an animated feature. The Queen is running from giving Snow White the apple. She reaches a cliff in a storm. The dwarfs chase her, and she tries to push a boulder on them, but the plot backfires, and she falls off the cliff with it.

jefferies

I'd have to say Arthur's death at the end of First Knight. The whole deal just about made me burst into tears. (Yes I know...)

westford

Some of the coolest screen deaths I've seen have to be from Final Destination! I love that film! :D

One of the saddest would be from Bambi when his mother dies... C'mon, who didn't cry at that one!?

And for gruesome comedy value, Eddie from Rocky Horror Picture Show! Ahhh, Meatloaf being hacked to bits by a transvestite, then eaten for dinner... Nice! :D

I cried! *sniff*

Ok...he're mine:

Mufasa~~The Lion King~~No! I cry at that one too! It's so sad! Simba was so young and then Scar made if feel like it was his fault his father died!

Scar~~The Lion King~~Ooo, they never show his death, but you know he dies. Never double cross your minions.

Zira~~The Lion King II: Simba's Pride~~She just couldn't swallow her damn pride. *Sigh* Such is the fate of a villian.

Darth Vader~~ROTJ~~I cry during that too! (Yes...star wars makes me cry...) I always wondered what would have happened if he lived...I could imagine him getting a white suit. :p Poor Luke and the music is so sad too! I love how they did the Imperial March slowly on a harp.
Anakin: Luke, help me take this mask off.
Luke: But you'll die.
Anakin: Nothing can stop that now. Just for once, let me look on you with my own eyes. Now, go my son. Leave me.
Luke: No. You're coming with me. I can't leave you here. I've got to save you.
Anakin: You already have, Luke. You were right about me. Tell you sister: you were right!
Luke: Father, I won't leave you!
*sniff*

Emperor Palpatine~~ROTJ~~Ah, Darth Vader comes back to the light and fulfills the prophecy by destroying the Emperor...thus becoming mortally wounded at the same time. Heh, where were Palpatine's royal guards then.

Palpatine: So be it, Jedi.
Emperor: If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed. Young fool... only now, at the end, do you understand. Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the dark side. You have paid the price for your lack of vision.
Luke: Ah! Father, please. Help me.
Emperor: Now, young Skywalker... you will die.
[insert dramatic music here]

Yoda~~ROTJ~~There is another...Skywalker...Need I say more?

Ben/Obi-Wan Kenobi~~ANH~~If you strike me down Darth, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Lucas only killed him off because in all the other scenes he just had Obi-Wan standing around. Because I know you all care. ;)

Book deaths:

Cedric~~Harry Potter IV~~Yes...I am one of the many who read Harry Potter...I couldn't believe he died! :eek:

Chewbacca~~Vector Prime~~Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Poor Chewie...

Anakin Solo~~I forgot the name of the book...~~NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's like worse than when Chewie died!!!!!!!

Plays

Oedipus' father~~Hey, don't even try to escape your fate.

Oedipus' mother~~Oedipus the King~~He married his mother! Eww!!! And why did it have to describe her death so vividly?!

Antigone~~Antigone~~Hey, she was cool. I didn't want her to die. Stupid cursed family.

Romeo~~Romeo and Juliet~~He was a wus anyway. He's pining for Rosiline or however you spell her name, and then he sees Juliet and is like, 'Oh, she's hot, I love her now.' And then he was always so whiny and the whole crying thing.

Juliet~~Roemo and Juliet~~Did she not realize Romeo was a wus?

Paris~~Romeo and Juliet~~Why did he have to die? I blame it all on Romeo. He just had to kill Paris, didn't he.

Tybalt~~Romeo and Juliet~~Hey...Romeo killed him too...

Mercutio~~Romeo and Juliet~~but only because Tybalt killed this dude.

Lady Montague~~Romeo and Juliet~~Does everyone die in this story?! Jeez!

I'll most likely think of more later...

Oh, one last one:

Calista Flockhart~~so she's not dead...not yet anyway...Can I hurt her?

[Edited by Leia Organa Solo on 06-22-2003 at 08:57 pm]

Canyon

Leia Organa Solo said:

Calista Flockhart~~so she's not dead...not yet anyway...Can I hurt her?

[Edited by Leia Organa Solo on 06-21-2003 at 05:38 pm]
Do I detect a hint of jealousy? ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Tony Mantana

If I have to go out, I don't think it would be bad to go out like Al Pacino in Scarface....