The Ark and Mormon beliefs

Grethe

One can hardly say that Ark speculations have been put to rest after the latest Vanity Fair pictures -- Got thinking last night and suddenly remembered that Mormon belief goes something like this (apologies if I mix myths up here but I've just started to look into this thing): The Ark of the Covenant was taken from the Temple of Solomon by Jeremiah for protection against invaders and he hid it in a cave on Mt. Nebo. Then along comes a guy called Lehi. Lehi was at Mt Nebo at the same time Jeremiah was there and some believe that he took the Ark with him; according to myth he and his people emigrated from the Middle East to a land they called Bountiful - an area believed to be in the Americas, the most prevalent interpretation being the Yucatan peninsula. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Mormon and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology_and_the_Book_of_Mormon

Applying this to the Indy mythos:

We know that Indy recovered The Ark of the Covenant from long buried Tanis in Egypt and it ended up in a US Govenment store at some undisclosed location in the US. (My bets are for somewhere in Utah or NM) <i>Crystal Skull</i> action takes place in jungle territory in Peru centered around a partly sunken temple according to the German lego set spoiler text (the word used in the German text is "versunken"). I think we can also assume that John Hurt is Abner Ravenwood, simply because he's the real Ark expert in the Indy universe.

What I'm getting at is that perhaps the story involves more than one Ark; perhaps Indy, Mutt, Mac fail to to recover the Ark we've already seen from that Government storage and learn through Abner that there are actually several of them?? If Mormon belief has it that there's an Ark in Yucatan why shouldn't there be one in Akator (Akakor?) as well??

Would fit well with the Akakor story and the rumors about inferno/ancient civilization with an alien knowledge base, ref. also Lucas' SF hints in the VF interview.

Just idle thoughts --

Last edited: