Remaining Jewish and Christian Relics

Lance Quazar

Moedred said:
You've yet to suggest anything fresh, stale, or otherwise.

Even I'm listing Islamic relics, in a thread that doesn's ask for them.

I'm forbidding myself from replying at all unless I can add to the discussion... uh, Samson's hair? Sounds like a quest for Henry Sr.

Well, I haven't talked to my agent, but since I haven't been hired to write Indy 5, I am going to refrain from devoting any brain power to coming up with a suitable macguffin.

However, the conversation is about what Jewish or Christian relics remain that could be used.

And my point, which I believe IS valid to the conversation, is that I think since they've done Judeo-Christian twice they should try to go in a different, more original direction.

None of the ideas posted in this thread have swayed me from my original point - none of the ideas here are that interesting to me, sorry to say, and I hope that the filmmakers broaden the search.

Lance Quazar

IndyFan89 said:
Listen, I'm a Christian, but I'm fair, there is nothing wrong with good clean fun. I'm not saying "All Indy movies should have MacGuffins from the bible or they are not good.", I'm simply stating the Raiders and LC was the greatest movies of all time in my book and apparently in allot of other fans' book as well so why not try to capture the same feel as those films.

I never thought that you were advocating the Judeo-Christian angle because of your personal faith at all.

I'm not the greatest speaker so maybe I'm just speaking nonsense, could someone else help me out here?

You're not speaking nonsense, I just don't agree with your point.

I think they should make another effort to find something different that breaks the "raiders"/"LC" pattern.

"Temple of Doom" was very different than Raiders in terms of plot, but it definitely had that Indy feel and the important, signature elements that uniquely define it as an Indy movie.

The character is the same. The quest for a mystical artifact. The action/adventure and thrilling stunts. The exotic locales.....it's definitely an "Indy" movie, but a refreshingly different one and that's what I would hope another film would be.

Using another Biblical artifact just feels like going to that well too many times...

Mickiana

What about the Lost Army of Cambyses? No mystical powers I'm afraid, but it's a big old mystery. Oh yeah, sorry, it's neither Jewish or Christian, but it is Persian.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Lance Quazar said:
Well, I haven't talked to my agent, but since I haven't been hired to write Indy 5, I am going to refrain from devoting any brain power to coming up with a suitable macguffin.

However, the conversation is about what Jewish or Christian relics remain that could be used.

And my point, which I believe IS valid to the conversation, is that I think since they've done Judeo-Christian twice they should try to go in a different, more original direction.

None of the ideas posted in this thread have swayed me from my original point - none of the ideas here are that interesting to me, sorry to say, and I hope that the filmmakers broaden the search.

Who's your agent? :p

thelaw

Lance Quazar said:
It sounds like you're reaching here, just name checking any object which happened to be in the bible at some point.

The thing about the Ark and the Grail, though, is that both (Grail especially) have a long history of literature, story and mystery already built around them, not just any random item which just happened to mentioned in the bible.

The great thing about the Indiana Jones universe is that it's ecumenical. The Judeo Christian tradition isn't the only game in town.

One could argue that it seems pretty clear that Yaweh and Jesus probably definitely exist in the Indy universe.

But so does the Hindu pantheon.

Lots of gods up there. Personally, I'd like one of the other religions to get a crack in the next Indy installment.

Agreed. The first two were just off the top of my head, going with the topic of the thread. The third was me just trying to come up with a good story and not simply the MacGuffin alone to propel our character.

I know the Staff of Moses (or, more accurately, the Staff of Aaron), has been done before in Indy literature, but I could see an interesting story come up with Indy being chased by all the Abrahamic religions for possesion of this object, sacred to all three. It may be a staff that Indy comes by in a totally unrelated fashion (perhaps searching for a staff of a local village's legend), not realizing its significance until being attacked by members of the "big 3;) " and putting the pieces together.

As far as the Indy universe goes, I think it's reasonable to assume that ANY and all mystical objects of any religions and legends exist and have power. Even dead religions' artifacts are fair game (El Dorado in KOTCS being an example).

IndyFan89

Lance Quazar said:
"Temple of Doom" was very different than Raiders in terms of plot, but it definitely had that Indy feel and the important, signature elements that uniquely define it as an Indy movie.

Yes, but it still had a similar kind of look and feel as Raiders to me. You have to admit that KOCS didn't hold a candle to Doom as far as action goes.

The scope on the Indy films was always so broad, and because of CGI and other things the scope on CS seemed so tight and claustrophobic.

I like the idea of Salomon's Temple. God gave Salomon something everyman desires, wisdom and riches.

Lance Quazar

Pale Horse said:
Who's your agent? :p

the-resurrection-20070514043614202.jpg

Lance Quazar

IndyFan89 said:
Yes, but it still had a similar kind of look and feel as Raiders to me. You have to admit that KOCS didn't hold a candle to Doom as far as action goes.

Of course I agree! Temple of Doom was phenomenal, Crystal Skull was crud.

Doom was a non-stop rollercoaster (at times, literally), with action and thrills every step of the way.

sandiegojones

I don't want a retread of Raiders or LC and I don't want a bible artifcat. I like that we see differnet places, not just the middle eastern desert.

Snow can have a similar effect on film as a desert so I think they should go to a colder locale (maybe Siberia? - see Dr. Zhivago) and use a non-Christian object. With the Ark and Grail they've proven basically that everything else in the bible is real. If they use another bible object then it's hard for Indy to be skeptical (which he is in each film until he see's it's power - TOD excluded because he was more interested in "Fortune and Glory") about the artificat's real power because he's seen that the bible is fact. The mythical properties of the macguffin is what makes them interesting, especially if the audience is unfamiliar with the origin. If another bible artifact is used then it will not seem as exotic since we all know that story.

deckard24

sandiegojones said:
I don't want a retread of Raiders or LC and I don't want a bible artifcat. I like that we see differnet places, not just the middle eastern desert.

Snow can have a similar effect on film as a desert so I think they should go to a colder locale (maybe Siberia? - see Dr. Zhivago) and use a non-Christian object. With the Ark and Grail they've proven basically that everything else in the bible is real. If they use another bible object then it's hard for Indy to be skeptical (which he is in each film until he see's it's power - TOD excluded because he was more interested in "Fortune and Glory") about the artificat's real power because he's seen that the bible is fact. The mythical properties of the macguffin is what makes them interesting, especially if the audience is unfamiliar with the origin. If another bible artifact is used then it will not seem as exotic since we all know that story.
Good points!:hat:

Maybe he could go after a Nordic or Celtic artifact for Indy V? I don't know if you ever read Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth, but that book would be ripe for a film adaptation! Maybe they could take the basic concept, but redo it keeping the same McGuffin and Arctic locale?
http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Hollow_Earth

Lance Quazar

sandiegojones said:

Great analysis, I agree whole-heartedly.

We need a different mythology and some fresh locations. Middle East has been done twice, South America has been done twice. China has been touched upon, could be a possibility, or other Asian/South Pacific locales like Tibet, Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, etc.

Cold climes also very fertile ground.

muttjones

ddschneider1972 said:
I'm all for an African Adventure...there's tribes, mystery, large animals, a long history of mysterious tribal legends of large animals. and this lesser known [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emela-ntouka"]one,and this one.
[/URL]

including an incident in 1959

So you have new locations, historical context, entirely different type of McGuffin, Lucas can add furry CGI monkeys, and it fits in with 1950's B-movies...

that would be cool. the macguffin could be an animal in indy 5.

kongisking

muttjones said:
that would be cool. the macguffin could be an animal in indy 5.

I actually am doing a story about an Indiana Jones-type character who, instead of being an archeologist who travels the world investigating artifacts, is a cryptozoologist who travels the world investigating creatures and legendary beasts such as dragons, Nessie, Bigfoot, Chupacabras, etc. I've recently been thinking that cryptozoology is the closest profession to an archeologist you can get for an action hero without becoming an obvious Indy rip-off.

Anyone like my concept? Yes, I'm going off-topic, but still...

Lance Quazar

kongisking said:
I actually am doing a story about an Indiana Jones-type character who, instead of being an archeologist who travels the world investigating artifacts, is a cryptozoologist who travels the world investigating creatures and legendary beasts such as dragons, Nessie, Bigfoot, Chupacabras, etc. I've recently been thinking that cryptozoology is the closest profession to an archeologist you can get for an action hero without becoming an obvious Indy rip-off.

Anyone like my concept? Yes, I'm going off-topic, but still...

Good idea. Unfortunately, you're not the only person who thinks so...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960811.html?categoryid=1238&cs=1

Lance Quazar

kongisking said:
Aw, DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGH!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: That really sucks! Jeez, just when I thought I had hit upon an awesome idea...:mad: :mad: :mad:

It IS an awesome idea....someone else just thought of it, too.

Don't beat yourself up. But I understand your frustration.

sandiegojones

kongisking said:
Aw, DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGH!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: That really sucks! Jeez, just when I thought I had hit upon an awesome idea...:mad: :mad: :mad:
How about a Sasquatch that finds archeological relics? :whip:

ProfessorChaos

Interesting Artifacts for Indy...

Here is a list of nine interesting artifacts that Indy could search for, all in alphabetical order with a brief explanation of the artifact and location ideas:
(Almost all of them are said to contain supernatural powers, which I've listed.)
Athena's Aegis (Also known as the Shield of Protection)
Power: A gold shield that can keep it's wearer safe from any harm.
Possible Location: A temple of Athena, in Greece
Excalibur (Also known as Caliburn), the Sword of King Arthur
Power: Made it's wielder unbeatable in battle, but only if righteous.
Possible Location: A watery cave by a lake, in England
Mjolnir, the Hammer of Thor (Also known as the Hammer of Thunder)
Power: Could call thunder and lightning down from the very heavens.
Possible Location: A ruined Viking fortress in a glacier, in Norway
The Cauldron of Plenty (Also known as the Black Cauldron)
Power: Could produce food or bring the dead back to life as zombies.
Possible Location: Underground city of Tir Nan Og, in Ireland
The Emerald Tablet (Also known as the Philosopher's Stone)
See my discussion about this relic under the following thread:
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=17384
Power: Alchemical ability, to transmute anything into a greater form.
Possible Location: A cave, somewhere in the Middle East
The Horn of Roland (Also known as the Horn of Fate)
Power: Brings about the end of one era, and the start of a new one.
Possible Location: Roland's hidden burial barrow, in France
The Lance of Longinus (Also known as the Spear of Destiny)
Power: Makes the army who holds it unstoppable, grants immortality.
Possible Location: A ruined palace, somewhere in Rome
The Sandals of Hermes (Also known as the Quicksilver Sandals)
Power: Can grant it's wearer the power to fly or travel vast distances.
Possible Location: A temple of Hermes, in Greece
The Scroll of Seven Seals (Also known as the Scroll of Armageddon)
Power: Calls the seven disasters that can bring about the Apocalypse.
Possible Location: A Ruined City, near the Dead Sea

Note: Anything used in the Tomb Raider movies I have avoided listing, since for that reason alone they would fail to make a new Indy movie truly unique.
Therefore, Atlantis and Pandora's Box are out of the question since Lara Croft has already been there and done that on the big screen. Comments, anyone?