Continue with the series?

How much 'till we're done?

• NOOOO! After KOTCS, I AM done!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Indy 5, But no more after that.

Votes: 45 37.2%
  • 2nd Trilogy Baby! Bring it ON!

Votes: 61 50.4%
  • Huh? Where are my pants? What year is this?

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Mickiana

Re Quaid as Indy in a 1940s reboot - great idea!!! And ditto what Rocket Surgeon said. Some of you guys are reading my mind.

Montana Smith

brainofj21 said:
I would love to see a straight adaptation of Fate of Atlantis with Nathan Fillion as Indiana Jones. He would be the only actor I could ever see stepping into the role of Indiana Jones.

And if you do not know how Nathan Fillion is check out the movie Serenity or the TV series Firefly. He's also currently on the ABC show Castle but check him out in Serenity and see if he wouldn't be perfect for the role.

I like Nathan, and loved Firefly and Serenity. Nathan has a similar quirky acting style to Harrison.

Mickiana said:
Re Quaid as Indy in a 1940s reboot - great idea!!! And ditto what Rocket Surgeon said. Some of you guys are reading my mind.

I toy with the idea of other actors, but I can't break the 'Harrison as Indy' dynamic.

It's one of those things that I'd have to see to believe in, but once it's got to that stage it might be too late: if it really doesn't feel like Indy I suppose we can write it off as an experiment that doesn't affect the magic of the Harrison era. In the same way that Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes atrocity doesn't affect my love for the original movies. Like William S. Burroughs, I can consign it to the "It never happened department."

Mickiana

I know what you mean about doubting the replacement of Harry in a reboot. I'm not totally for one idea or another. I'd like to see it done simply for the gamble and having Indy continued and I'm prepared for it to not work (from a oldboy/fanboy's perspective) but would also be ecstatic for it to work out nicely (like everyone else).

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
I know what you mean about doubting the replacement of Harry in a reboot. I'm not totally for one idea or another. I'd like to see it done simply for the gamble and having Indy continued and I'm prepared for it to not work (from a oldboy/fanboy's perspective) but would also be ecstatic for it to work out nicely (like everyone else).

I think that's where I'm going. It has to be the absolute last resort, after Harrison decides it's time for him to hang up the fedora - not when someone else tells him to. Even if he's in a wheelchair Harrison still owns Indy!

sha0193l.jpg

And if Mutt comes back Indy should take the following line:

MAD_IndyPorch.jpg

Last edited:

Indy-Anna

Hahaha, those pictures are hilarious, Montana. :D

I would prefer that they stop after Indy 5. IMO, Lucas already ruined the second Star Wars trilogy, I would hate to see him do the same thing to Indiana Jones if they did a second trilogy. :( Particularly if Mutt takes a more prominent role in Indy 5.

garzo

I'd love to see a high-quality revamp of Indy, whether on TV or the big screen, and preferably without Ford.
There have already been four incarnations of Indiana Jones, so no one can say Ford is the only Indiana Jones. In fact, Sean Patrick Flannery played Indy much longer than Ford ever did.
I think there's still a lot more to tell about Indy, and the fact that he's a larger-than-life legend, makes it that much easier to continue chronicling his adventures.

The rumor is that there were supposed to be five films from the begining and thats what I think they should do. Ford is getting old but he has enough left in him for one more and it would make KOTCS seem less out of place, two older Indy movies instead of one.

MuttJonesfan22

I say it bring on a new trilliogy.
However, Ford is getting older. I don't know how much more he can hanndle.
Maybe, have him do a little less with Shia's character doing more and more each film..

Montana Smith

MuttJonesfan22 said:
I say it bring on a new trilliogy.
Maybe, have him do a little less with Shia's character doing more and more each film..

From your handle it's obvious you're a 'Mutt Jones Fan', so you're going to be happy to see Shia take more of an active role in a new trilogy.

That's something I can't get into my head, and equate with Indiana Jones.

As a character Mutt didn't strike me as a great result, so to see him eventually become the dominant force in an Indy movie is inconsistent with my view of Indiana Jones.

I know it's a Catch-22 situation of age versus action, but given the choice (as an absolute last resort), I would rather see a reboot of Indy himself with a new actor :)eek:), than for the series to continue chronologically with the 'son of Indy'. The true son of Indy is the 1960s James Bond (Sean Connery, who was the father of Indy! :confused: )

Montana Smith

If the Music Room Indy V reveal is to be believed...

http://www.musicrooms.net/showbiz/86...Emotional.html

The reveal, in it's entirety, is written in a strange way, and even puts the release date of KOTCS as 2006.

But, for a moment, let's assume that it is from a legitimate source.

The two key points are "an emtional and exciting conclusion" and "Shia LaBeouf has a central role again as Indy's son".

It implies in no uncertain terms that this will be Harrison's last outing as Indy. It implies that Mutt is a central character.

With regard to the question "Continue with the series?" it indicates that a Mutt franchise may be on the cards.

I can't really see Indy discovering a fountain of youth and regenerating as a younger man/different actor in the 1960s as this would tread on Bond's toes, which is really what a Mutt franchise would be also doing.

The only viable alternative, as hard as it is to imagine, is for a new actor to go back and continue the story from the 1930s again.

Goodeknight

I thought KOTCS was terrible, but I'd rather have half a dozen more terrible Indy movies than nothing. As long as HF was starring as Indy. But I'd probably watch the Adventures of Mutt Jones, too, though it would be like watching YIJC.

Matt deMille

Here's a better idea than continuing with Mutt: Set it in modern times and have some entirely new character (maybe Mutt's son or nephew or something) discover Indiana Jones' hat, whip, etc. in a chest in an attic or a museum storeroom (where he works). He asks the now grandfatherly Mutt what all this is. Mutt tells him the tale of "the great man" and this inspires the new character to take up the hat and whip and seek adventures himself. This guy could posses an intangible that is very important -- he's us. For example, I think one of the reasons the X-Files was so successful its first few seasons was that Mulder was a sort of stand-in for all of us who knew something was out there. He was speaking for us. In a modern-day Indy tale, this new guy could be a surrogate or reflection of all us fans who'd gladly take up the hat and whip ourselves. There'd be a stronger connection to the character. The big problem with Mutt, in spite of Shia's good performance, is that he's Lucas' surrogate, he's Lucas' reflection, not our own. Sort of how when M-chlorians became The Force. It was taken away from what we felt it meant to us and Lucas made it his own own own. Sure, he has the right to do that, but we're talking about what makes a magical movie, and part of the recipie for magic is to give the audience a character they can ALL connect to.

So, if someone new discovered Indy's legacy he could pick up the hat and whip and even the name. After all, "Indiana" was a nickname chosen by Indy, so someone new could just pick the same name. Jones would logically be his last name if he was related to Mutt, so there ya go!

Indy's brother

As of now, this poll shows that a 2nd trilogy is winning by what could become a landslide! ...and apparently one Ravener has slipped too far into dementia to have an opinion on the matter. :eek:

If you haven't already, vote in this poll! Spielberg once mentioned that it's up to us fans as to whether or not they make more Indy movies....let 'em know where you stand on the subject!!! ;)

Goonie

I'm up for two more to make it a 2nd trilogy. If they wanted to do something different, do a big adventure that spans 2 movies - like Deathly Hallows.(y)

Meerkat

MuttJonesFann22 said:

This.
I say Indy 5, but no more than that. I don't want the movies to be taken over by Mutt, but that seems to be what George Lucas brought him in for?D:

Forbidden Eye

IIRC, I read somewhere that when Lucas and Spielberg made a contract for Paramount to distribute the films many years ago, it was 5 films. It eventually became 3 films though with a 4th film in production hell for years. Now that it finally got made, I would like to see the original deal complete and have one more film adventure with Harrison with the fedora.

Frankly, I think they closed up the franchise a little too much with the fourth film. There isn't as much potential as there was with the fourth film. But I think there's still enough for a great end, at least one as satisfying as Revenge of the Sith was to Star Wars. It'd be a shame to end the franchise with the many nay-sayers.

C'mon Lucas and Steven, finish the script by December and film next year.

tigersharka

I would like to see Harrison featured in future Indy movies...but concentrate on him...the supporting cast is ok...but he really is the magic. :whip:

Knowing the film industry...they will bring someone else in to play the part and ruin the series. :(

From my point of view KOTCS was good enough that it sparked my interest in seeing Indiana Jones 5 being made, I personally think it was better than TOD. However KOTCS wasn't so good that I felt that's it, Indy has just ended on a high note and no more should be made. So KOTCS being a less than perfect movie is exactly what is fueling my enthusiasm for a true Indy finale and thus the bar has been raised high in my mind for Indy 5.

I feel Indy 5 should be the final chapter because of Harrison Ford's age in addition to the fact that "five" movies was the contract with Paramount before even ROTLA was released so its a good psychological point to end. Also it seems the trend has been that the odd numbered Indy films (ROTLA, LC) are better regarded than the even numbered ones (TOD, KOTCS), so Indy 5 is bound to be in the former category. KOTCS was just another middle chapter of the series with the finale still to come in Indy5.

Last edited: