Spielberg at Raiders screening and Q&A

Attila the Professor

Staff member
mattzilla2010 said:
Oh, of course. It's just that the way you phrased it seemed to suggest it was one or the other.

No. What I mean to say is that Spielberg's attitude towards leaving films as they are and allowing them to speak for themselves is, while being what keeps him away from Lucas-style excesses of revision, save for in that one case that he now seems to regret, is the same attitude that keeps us from seeing deleted scenes or hearing commentaries.

Obviously, showing the films as they were originally released does not logically exclude any deleted scenes or commentary, but they're of a similar tendency.

The Drifter

Attila the Professor said:
No. What I mean to say is that Spielberg's attitude towards leaving films as they are and allowing them to speak for themselves is, while being what keeps him away from Lucas-style excesses of revision, save for in that one case that he now seems to regret, is the same attitude that keeps us from seeing deleted scenes or hearing commentaries.

I respect his stance on keeping the movies the way there were originally. But, I really would love to see some deleted scenes, but I would become downright giddy if he, Ford, and even Lucas done commentary!

Montana Smith

Obviously, showing the films as they were originally released does not logically exclude any deleted scenes or commentary, but they're of a similar tendency.

I agree that Spielberg's attitude, as noble as it is, does have this downside. His argument that a commentary takes you out of the film (so he won't do them) is a tad weak.

I make a point of never listening to a commentary the first time I see a film. I want to be taken on the journey that the film intended.

If, by the end of that first viewing, the film has left me intrigued, I'll watch again with the commentary. To me that's not much different to reading a director's own words about a film, which they will often impart through interviews. And from that mighty interview with Quint it's evident that Spielberg isn't averse to talking about his films.

The case is more likely that he feels that a commentary is a one-time event which will remain with the film, branding it with those specific thoughts. Whereas successive interviews may be adapted to present his thoughts at the time the questions were asked. (Lucas goes further, and just changes the films to match his current thoughts!)

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
The case is more likely that he feels that a commentary is a one-time event which will remain with the film, branding it with those specific thoughts. Whereas successive interviews may be adapted to present his thoughts at the time the questions were asked.

Or he's just too damn lazy.

Forbidden Eye

Darth Vile said:
I always get the feeling that Spielberg has a real need to be loved... or more cynically, he'll say anything to get people on side.

Agree. I suspect that's why he's so harsh on Temple of Doom as he is. I don't really believe "none of me was in that movie" like he claims(maybe none of the modern-day Spielberg) I think he's just grown to be apologetic about it because he got so much flak for it.

Moedred said:

Thanks for that Moedred!

It was interesting when the interviewer brought up Indy 5, only one person cheered. I'm wondering if that was just slow reaction or if the audience in general were not fans of Kingdom and were unenthused. Since there was applause from the audience after Spielberg said he was hopeful, I'm assume its the former.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Or he's just too damn lazy.

That was actually my initial feeling, but then he isn't afraid to give long interviews.

I think it does have more to do with stamping a time-sensitive set of ideas onto his films.

It's a shame, because it would be great to have him and Ford talk us through the films. (Lucas wouldn't be averse to it, but it would seem strange not to have the director's own input).

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
That was actually my initial feeling, but then he isn't afraid to give long interviews.

I think it does have more to do with stamping a time-sensitive set of ideas onto his films.

It's a shame, because it would be great to have him and Ford talk us through the films. (Lucas wouldn't be averse to it, but it would seem strange not to have the director's own input).

Steve is a weird bird, that's true. So is Georgie. But, I have to wonder - what keeps Ford from doing commentary? Surely Steve and George would let him. I want something on the blu-rays. Anything!

mattzilla2010

Gotcha... I think. :eek: I was trying to say that by the same logic, since it could be argued that his attitude toward his films is what prevents us from getting deleted scenes and commentaries, one of the only ways we'd ever get those things (hypothetically) is if his opinion shifted entirely to a more Lucas-like revisionist view. Hence, it would probably be either special edition with deleted scenes and commentaries or original version with neither of those things.

But as you say, there are other circumstances in which we could receive those coveted scenes and commentaries. I was just vocalizing how I feel about the importance of the film itself vs. the importance of special features.

Ehhh I hope that makes sense.

Moedred said:
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...na-jones-video

Videos are starting to roll out...
Wow, surprised to see Spielberg being so brutally honest and down-to-earth about how KOTCS was generally received by fans. Then again, I'm probably just used to Lucas and his apparent total ignorance of people hating the SW prequels/special editions.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:

I think that's fairly compelling as an explanation. What's attractive, of course, about an audio commentary that it can offer real-time commentary as a reaction to every portion of the film, rather than anything in an interview or written format, which can talk about narrower things. It'd be great to hear some specific thoughts of these guys, and Spielberg in particular, about what he likes and what he's less than pleased with. ("I kept trying to figure out how to get those native bearers to fall off of cliffs with their boxes on their heads, but we just couldn't work out the logistics, so we dropped it.")

mattzilla2010 said:
Gotcha... I think. I was trying to say that by the same logic, since it could be argued that his attitude toward his films is what prevents us from getting deleted scenes and commentaries, one of the only ways we'd ever get those things (hypothetically) is if his opinion shifted entirely to a more Lucas-like revisionist view. Hence, it would probably be either special edition with deleted scenes and commentaries or original version with neither of those things.

Yeah, I get your argument, I think. That's why I'm posing it more as a tendency or as an attitude rather than as hard and fast logic. One doesn't necessarily imply the other, but it suggests it, at least a little bit.

Darth Vile

Yeah, Spielberg said a lot that sounds great at this Q&A, but let's not forget that his attitude towards not retouching his films is more or less the same one that keeps us from deleted scenes, and likely from audio commentaries as well.

Agreed. And whilst the two approaches are not mutually exclusive, we are dealing with two specific filmmakers that do have a different approach and that do have the power/authority to influence how their movies are viewed. I get the feeling that Spielberg places much more emphasis on how his movies are viewed than Lucas i.e. if audiences like it, he likes it. Lucas is very much more ?f*ck you. I love it my way?. Neither is neserairly right or wrong. Spielberg is probably more pragmatic, whilst Lucas is probably more honest to himself.

Montana Smith said:
I make a point of never listening to a commentary the first time I see a film. I want to be taken on the journey that the film intended.

If, by the end of that first viewing, the film has left me intrigued, I'll watch again with the commentary.

Me too. Having an insight into how the movie is made is always secondary to actually seeing the movie and experiencing ?the journey? first as you put it.

Forbidden Eye said:
I suspect that's why he's so harsh on Temple of Doom as he is. I don't really believe "none of me was in that movie" like he claims(maybe none of the modern-day Spielberg) I think he's just grown to be apologetic about it because he got so much flak for it.
Totally agree. Same goes for 1941.

Thanks for the video link Moe...

I have to say Indy V does NOT look likely.

His impression of George is good though.
Forbidden Eye said:
I think he's just grown to be apologetic about it because he got so much flak for it.
I think like anyone else, his opinion of things change over time, from listening to other points of view and reassessing.

Stoo

Quotes transplanted from a thread about "Star Wars":
I'd love to hear whether the one they just screened had the new cliff or not.
Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm a betting man and I say yea. I also have good money that the good "Dr." can't help us with that one.

I'm fine with the scrub done on the cliff dive, and wouldn't mind if Belloq's "scanner" moment was improved as well.
Hope you wouldn't place any ca$h on that bet, Rocket!:eek: From the news item you posted in this very thread (post #92). Appropriate info in bold:
Spielberg exclaims that the screening is the best he’s ever seen Raiders look. Talking about the restoration process, Spielberg states he worked from an original negative correcting the print without removing anything or adding any CGI. Raiders is exactly as it was when released in 1981.
Which would mean: original cliff shot (and the snake reflection in the Well of Souls).;)

Stoo

Henry W Jones said:
What happened here? Anyone ask that was there?
Watch the video that Moedred posted. (Thanks, Moe). At about the 2:00 minute mark, Spielberg mentions eggs!(y)

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
LOL - I noticed that too... :D
Ha ha, Darth! I was hoping somebody would.:D

Spielberg: "I needed the eggs."

Even though it was a "Raiders" event, that would've been an opportune moment to ask about the egg mystery. Although it appears that they weren't taking questions from the audience which made the affair more of a 'public interview' rather than a genuine Q&A session. (Just like the other 30th anniversary screening in Beverly Hills two months ago.)
Dr. Sartorius said:
It was so awesome seeing Ford and Spielberg last night!!!! I wish they could have talked longer but it had to end some time.
Great 'report', Sartorius.:rolleyes: Since you were there in person, was the audience allowed to ask questions?

Stoo said:
Hope you wouldn't place any ca$h on that bet, Rocket!:eek:
I'm thinking of doing just that...any takers?

Stoo said:
From the news item you posted in this very thread (post #92).
Which would mean: original cliff shot (and the snake reflection in the Well of Souls).;)

EXACTLY why I highlighted it!:hat: