Superman: Man of Steel

How should the Superman franchise continue?

• Let Singer's franchise continue

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Let Millar's revamp take place

Votes: 32 52.5%

• Total voters

TheMutt92

The Man said:
The story for Returns was pretty lousy. Nothing we hadn't seen before...

The whole idea of him being gone for five years and coming back was kinda cool though (a movie of him trying to find Krypton and him battling aliens in space would've been better! (y) )

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
The whole idea of him being gone for five years and coming back was kinda cool though (a movie of him trying to find Krypton and him battling aliens in space would've been better! (y) )

Clark also disappears for five years and returns at exactly the same time as Superman. Is Lois that stupid?:rolleyes:

sandiegojones

You know what I've always wanted is a period Superman film. One that takes place in the 1930's just before WWII like the old Fleischer cartoons.

I just hope they do redo this franchise. I love the original Donner film and the Donner cut of Superman II was entertaining if not more dissapointing knowing what could have been.

Dr.Mirakle32

sandiegojones said:
You know what I've always wanted is a period Superman film. One that takes place in the 1930's just before WWII like the old Fleischer cartoons.

That would be really sweet to see, but unfortunately I don't see that happpening any time soon.

As long as any future Superman films don't retell the origin story, have plenty of action, and keep the John Williams themes, then I'm good. If Singer could really do a truly great one after the decent RETURNS, then let him stay on board. If not, get somebody else, but make him keep that criteria.

If they reboot Superman I gurantee the first thing that gets jettisoned will be the John Williams theme and they will start with a clean slate ala Batman Begins.

sandiegojones

Agent Spalko said:
If they reboot Superman I gurantee the first thing that gets jettisoned will be the John Williams theme and they will start with a clean slate ala Batman Begins.
That's what they should have done. I think Elfman's Batman score is just as good as William's Superman score, but I like that Nolan did something really different. To be honest I'd love for Nolan to tackle Superman after a thrid Batman/Dark Knight film. Just one 3 hour epic of a Superman film, no sequels.

Dr.Mirakle32

Agent Spalko said:

That's what I'm affraid of. I'm tired of seeing the origin retold. We've seen it half a dozen times between the Fleischer cartoons, the Donner film, the various animated series, and Smallville. I just want to see Superman swoop in and save the day from a formidable physical adversary, without him training and learing how to become a superhero.

Batman was different since his origin was never explained in detail on film. But with the 1978 film, it was told to perfection. Hell, even the first SPIDER MAN and BATMAN BEGINS are structurally based off of the first SUPERMAN.

Dr.Mirakle32

sandiegojones said:
That's what they should have done. I think Elfman's Batman score is just as good as William's Superman score, but I like that Nolan did something really different. To be honest I'd love for Nolan to tackle Superman after a thrid Batman/Dark Knight film. Just one 3 hour epic of a Superman film, no sequels.

Nolan isn't right for Superman. He's great with dark thrillers, which is why he was perfect for Batman, but Superman requires a much more positive tone and message.

sandiegojones

Dr.Mirakle32 said:
Nolan isn't right for Superman. He's great with dark thrillers, which is why he was perfect for Batman, but Superman requires a much more positive tone and message.
Well, if Spielberg would do it...

agentsands77

Dr.Mirakle32 said:
As long as any future Superman films don't retell the origin story, have plenty of action, and keep the John Williams themes, then I'm good.
Agreed on the first point. No need for another origin story.

But as far as "plenty of action," well, I can't say I'm too interested in action-packed Superman flicks. Action is well and good, but it shouldn't dominate. The best Superman story ever told is SUPERMAN: FOR ALL SEASONS, and that has very little action. Practically none, in fact.

And as far as Williams' theme goes, it's perfect for the character, but I don't think it would be quite right to keep it if the Donner continuity is left behind.

TheMutt92

Dr.Mirakle32 said:
As long as any future Superman films don't retell the origin story, have plenty of action, and keep the John Williams themes, then I'm good.

A sequel to a non-existent film would be cool. Just fill in some of the major points through dialogue and a few flashbacks (like Incredible Hulk).

Dr.Mirakle32

agentsands77 said:
Agreed on the first point. No need for another origin story.

But as far as "plenty of action," well, I can't say I'm too interested in action-packed Superman flicks. Action is well and good, but it shouldn't dominate. The best Superman story ever told is SUPERMAN: FOR ALL SEASONS, and that has very little action. Practically none, in fact.

And as far as Williams' theme goes, it's perfect for the character, but I don't think it would be quite right to keep it if the Donner continuity is left behind.

After SR I think action is what fans and audiences want. I don't want non-stop mindless action, but the story has to have room for some. And why ditch out the Donner continuity? They don't have to directly reference it every five minutes, or structure the story around it like SR did, just make a movie where Superman is already established and in the middle of his career, and use the Williams music when necessary.

Spielberg would have been great 20 years ago, but after KOTCS, I just can't trust the man. Maybe James Cameron, with Richard Donner as a creative consultant? The guy is still around, you know.

Shortie

I'm not really a Superman fan (the only DC characters I really like are Batman & Flash) but the theme is great. Too bad the Marvel characters have sucky orchrestrated themes. I don't get why Elfman failed with Spidey, Batman had an awesome theme.

I'd like to see a Batman vs Superman movie with Christian Bale in it.

I'd rather see JLA but a bunch of goofy superheroes in spandex just doesn't seem realistic enough to co-exist with Bale's Batman.

The Man

Hmmm...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37585

'With one comic superhero lighting up its boxoffice, Warner Bros. is trying to develop another potential comic franchise by acquiring the superhero project "Capeshooters," with Bryan Singer in negotiations to produce.

J.P. Lavin and Chad Damiani will write the screenplay, which follows two down-on-their-luck slackers who specialize in shooting videos of superheroes. They find themselves on the run when they uncover evidence that a legendary superhero actually is evil.
'

The Man

The Man said:

It's official: reboot!

http://www.superheroflix.com/news/71/30771.php

It was reported a few days ago that Warner Bros. was thinking of doing a complete overhaul on Superman: The Man of Steel, completely redoing the franchise. Today, the Wall Street Journal has confirmed from Warner Bros. Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov that this is exactly the path they are taking, which could be in the vein of The Incredible Hulk that essentially ignored Ang Lee's 2003 film Hulk.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/1...KICKS-SUPERMAN-RETURNS-TO-THE-CURB/Page1.html

'''Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds. "But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."

Last edited:

sandiegojones

I'm glad they're going a new route. I liked "Returns" for the most part but it relied too much on the prior films and was slooooow. Plus, it was a little "gay" too with the designer suit and perfect spit curl (not a coincidence since the director likes men).

I just hope they get the right person to do it and avoid Lex this time.