The Dark Knight

PhantomStranger

I've been a Batman fan and collector for about 40 years now (yep. I'm one of the old guy fans) I've seen the character go from the silliness of the Adam West TV series to the grim seriousness of Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" and everything in between, So it was with much anticipation(and maybe a little worry)that I went and saw "The Dark Knight". "Batman Begins" was a fine movie and I wondered if they could possibly top it. Well, I need not have worried. "The Dark Knight"was flat out brilliant. Superb acting, action, FX and story all combined to make the best movie of the year (so far) and probably the best comic book movie ever. I can't recommend this movie enough. Go see it, It's great.(y)

DIrishB

This movie was incredible. Easily the best Batman ever made, and definitly the best comic book movie adaptation. Yeah, I know its all been said already, but its true so I'm saying again louder.

The plot was great. Started off a bit slow, but after the first 15 minutes the pacing balanced out and the plot flowed along. Loved the symbolism, character parallels, and foreshadowing in this movie. All were deftly handled.

Really enjoyed the White Knight/Dark Knight dichotomy to Dent and Wayne. Also loved that Joker's ultimate goal was merely to test Dent's "heroism". Dent's evolution into Two-Face was quick, but made sense. Eckhart's portrayal of Dent was noteworthy. Overshadowed by Ledger's Joker, sure, but still a nice job done.

And here's the basic point to the Rachel Dawes character...her death helped turn Dent into Two-Face, and keep Wayne as Batman...forever. I'm glad she was given some justification in this mythose besides merely a love interest/damsel in distress. Gyllenhall pulled off the role much better than Holmes did in Batman Begins, but I just can't get past her "but-her-face". She's an ugly woman, and trying to believe she'd be the focal point of a love triangle between Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent was tough. However, getting past bad looks, she's an incredible actress and did a worthy job in the role. Brought a lot more to it than Holmes did, anyway.

Bale, Oldman, and Caine all did great in their respective roles (as expected). But of course, Ledger's performance as the Joker outshines just about every other brilliant aspect of this truly brilliant film. His performance will go down in cinema history as one of the great film villains, and I'd honestly be surprised if his influence on the character doesn't leak into the comics themselves some. Loved how at the end, as it looks like he's falling to his death (before Batman saves him), he's laughing his *** off. Thats the Joker in a nutshell. The guy truly made that role his own. It should NOT be recast for a sequel. Ledger is the Joker, he owns it, and no one else can have it.

The ending...beautiful. A perfect ending for this movie: dark, brooding, suspenseful (we're all looking forward to a third)...Batman making the ultimate sacrifice, becoming a villain in the eyes of the public to preserve the lie of Dent's heroism was perfect. It showed that his true motivation is whats best for his city. That is Batman. Lucius no longer works for and supplies him, the police are hunting the Dark Knight, and Bruce lost his one chance at a normal life (Rachel). In that sense, this movie set his path as Batman more than Begins did.

Phenomenal, this one deserves a 10/10.

Deckard

I really loved the scene w. all the gangs and Joker shows up. At first I thought of the similar scene in Burton's Batman and was a little worried. Then the magic trick happened, and I was like ok thats the sick stuff I wanna see Joker doing. I always envisioned Joker as an Alexander Delarge type from Clockwork Orange.

When he quipped they were having a little group therapy session or when he assures the Japanese Boss he isn't crazy. I just really loved that entire bit.

Nolan nailed down these characters and the actor's performances were just right.

DocWhiskey

DIrishB said:
It showed that his true motivation is whats best for his city. That is Batman. Lucius no longer works for and supplies him, the police are hunting the Dark Knight, and Bruce lost his one chance at a normal life (Rachel).

Lucius still works for Wayne Enterprises and supplies him. Lucius told Wayne he'd quit if Batman continues using the sonar detection machine believing it's too much power for one man. Batman responds to type in Lucius's name when it's done helping him find Joker. When the fights over, Lucius does, and the machine destroys itself.

No Ticket

deckard24 said:
I hope it's not him, but it is a little suspicious! There's nothing intimidating about that guy, but then again neither was there with Jim Carrey's version!

Who I never noticed that. But The Riddler's name in the comic is Edward Nygma. E. Nygma. So I mean, they would be getting something wrong. I don't think Nolan would do that.

But I could see that guy playing The Riddler. It's true, the riddler is not a physically challenging opponent. That's not where the danger lies.

Perhaps the challenge by Fox to Mr. Reese "So that's your plan?" ... perhaps this is what would start him down the path that leads him to the riddles.

But then again, Bruce saved his life.

Niteshade007

I thought Reese was the Anthony Michael Hall character. Or was that Engel?

At any rate, somewhere on youtube there is a video explaining how Anthony Michael Hall's character will be the Riddler. Something about letters in a name and stuff.

TheMutt92

The whole thing about Reese or Engel becoming Riddler is I think WAY too far out there, especially for Nolan. I mean, didn't they say they weren't trying to setup a third? And that they weren't gonna use villains from pervious film adaptations (minus Joker)? That would kinda break it all I'd think. Anyway, I'm hoping to God this won't come out this way.

agentsands77

Reese or Engel becoming the Riddler is nothing but fanboy speculation, if you ask me. There's nothing to it. And if they did go that route, it would feel somewhat awkward.

The Man

If Ramirez is still alive, how about her having a more prominent role in a third movie? She could seek redemption through a feline alter-ego...;)

agentsands77

The Man said:
If Ramirez is still alive, how about her having a more prominent role in a third movie?
I'm sure she will. Especially since she knows about Dent.

The Man said:
She could seek redemption through a feline alter-ego...;)
Nah. That would exclude Selina Kyle as a source of romance for Bruce Wayne, which is 60-70% of the character's appeal.

The Man

TheMutt92

The Man said:
http://www.ecanadanow.com/news/entertainment/the-dark-knight-may-lose-out-to-the-mummy-20080801.html

'...Universal is set to open up The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor this Friday, and many believe that it has a shot to beat out The Dark Knight.'

'...The Dark Knight is predicted to gross another $40 million in its third weekend.'

'...On the other hand, many expect The Mummy to rake in at least $50 million, which would give it the top spot at the box office.'

I would run around the street screaming for joy if TDK somehow manages to avoid takedown. It would almost be a definite sign of it beating Titanic (or at least making it to the billionaire's club).

The Man

TheMutt92 said:
I would run around the street screaming for joy if TDK somehow manages to avoid takedown. It would almost be a definite sign of it beating Titanic (or at least making it to the billionaire's club).

TDK could slip to second place this weekend but retain the top spot once The Mummy 3 runs quickly out of steam. It's received some shonky reviews....

The Man

The Knight before Christmas...?

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/santa-brings-the-dark-knight-for-x-mas-4461

'...A mystery informant located deep within the bowels of Hollywood has given us information on the release date of The Dark Knight DVD and it looks likes it's coming just in time for Christmas.

On December 9th, 2008 expect The Dark Knight to hit store shelves and be a huge seller this holiday season.'

No confirmation on the Blu-Ray release, though it's likely to arrive around the same time, right? Right?!

TheMutt92

The Man said:
The Knight before Christmas...?

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/santa-brings-the-dark-knight-for-x-mas-4461

'...A mystery informant located deep within the bowels of Hollywood has given us information on the release date of The Dark Knight DVD and it looks likes it's coming just in time for Christmas.

On December 9th, 2008 expect The Dark Knight to hit store shelves and be a huge seller this holiday season.'

Thats at the top of my list! (here's to hoping I can remain a good boy for the rest of the year ;) )

No Ticket

agentsands77 said:
Reese or Engel becoming the Riddler is nothing but fanboy speculation, if you ask me. There's nothing to it. And if they did go that route, it would feel somewhat awkward.

I agree... I don't really think there's any connection. Besides, his name is not Mr. Reese it's E. Nigma.

However, I DO think they might put the Riddler in the next movie because he is similar, somewhat, to the Joker and the studio would probably like that and push for that.

Also, I think Nolan originally WANTED Joker to come back in the third one... but now he can't. I remember someone involved, Goyer? Nolan? ... said they thought Heath would want them to re-cast the character. That probably is true, but would anyone accept someone else stepping into that role now after how iconic Ledger has made it in this Batman series? ...

It would be hard to accept and would be difficult to judge how fans would react. But the story would take a hit because I think they wanted to explore more between Joker and Batman in another film. I'd like to see more, but I like the character that Ledger played. Similar to why I want Harrison Ford to play Indiana Jones. Those actors took those characters and gave them something special that only they can give them. Unfortunately we can't get Ledger back. :(

RocketSledFight

No Ticket said:
I agree... I don't really think there's any connection. Besides, his name is not Mr. Reese it's E. Nigma.

However, I DO think they might put the Riddler in the next movie because he is similar, somewhat, to the Joker and the studio would probably like that and push for that.

Also, I think Nolan originally WANTED Joker to come back in the third one... but now he can't. I remember someone involved, Goyer? Nolan? ... said they thought Heath would want them to re-cast the character. That probably is true, but would anyone accept someone else stepping into that role now after how iconic Ledger has made it in this Batman series? ...

It would be hard to accept and would be difficult to judge how fans would react. But the story would take a hit because I think they wanted to explore more between Joker and Batman in another film. I'd like to see more, but I like the character that Ledger played. Similar to why I want Harrison Ford to play Indiana Jones. Those actors took those characters and gave them something special that only they can give them. Unfortunately we can't get Ledger back. :(

Although I would never attribute TDK's success in the box office to the hype created by Ledger's death, I would say that the movie probably grossed a few million more because of it. If they recast the role, I'm willing to bet that the opposite would happen. Recasting would be a bad, unnecessary move.