"Come quietly Dr. Jones. And bring letter with you."

AlivePoet

Is it just me, or is this one of the most ridiculous moments in the film? I remember laughing out loud the first time I heard it, and every successive time I find it is just as ridiculous. (Indy's "Letter? What Letter?" was fun, though; it reminded me of "Truck? What truck?") The exchange seems particularly ridiculous since the "two bricks" were observing the entire conversation most probably, so Indy's balk at their inference ("What letter?") just seems to insult their intelligence; it's as though their rudimentary English implies that they aren't capable of having common sense.

Perhaps I'm reading too far into this, but the film does lampoon those who can't speak English well, and this is a particularly noticeable instance. Who else found this absurd/offensive/hilarious?

DocWhiskey

Ridiculous?

Hurm.

I think you're looking to much into it.

That's basically how Russians always talk in American cinema for some reason. I guess we think they haven't discovered prepositions yet. Heh.

I seen it as Indy was trying to keep them talking to buy some time.

Plus, it's an Indiana Jones movie. Thugs are stupid. It's like...a rule.

You didn't find it strange that the German Mechanic couldn't hear the enormous propeller approaching behind him? Or it wasn't strange that the Nazi who confronts Indy after he steals the other soldier's uniform didn't find him the least bit suspicious?

I think this was one of the few parts of KOTCS I didn't have any problems with.

Last edited:

James

I get a bigger kick out of all that dialogue they have Ford delivering before he gets on the motorcycle.

And of course, the irony is, Ford was wrong.

He's one of the few actors that can not only say the **** Lucas types, but can actually sell it to an audience as well.

AlivePoet

DocWhiskey said:
Ridiculous?

I think this was one of the few parts of KOTCS I didn't have any problems with.

See, while I think it's ridiculous, it fits the film, and I don't really have a problem with it; maybe I didn't make myself completely clear. I think it's ridiculous, but in a hilarious way. Which really is the nature of Indiana Jones, no?

Darth Vile

I think it's perfectly in keeping with a tradition where the villains tend to have European and Eastern accents...

StoneTriple

DocWhiskey said:
You didn't find it strange that the German Mechanic couldn't hear the enormous propeller approaching behind him? Or it wasn't strange that the Nazi who confronts Indy after he steals the other soldier's uniform didn't find him the least bit suspicious?

Or that Hitler stood face to face with Indy and signed the Grail diary without being remotely concerned with what it was or who was handing it to him?

Man, compared to the Hitler scene, the Russians asking for the letter is documentary-level realism.

caats

i've really thought much of anything for that line. just a line of dialogue for me

I get a bigger kick out of all that dialogue they have Ford delivering before he gets on the motorcycle.

And of course, the irony is, Ford was wrong.

He's one of the few actors that can not only say the **** Lucas types, but can actually sell it to an audience as well.

erm, pretty sure lucas doesn't script the Indy movies. ahh the irony in that statement.

Lance Quazar

It's just one lousy line in an ocean full of them in KOTCS.

A minor sin compared to most of the rest of the movie.

James

StoneTriple said:
Or that Hitler stood face to face with Indy and signed the Grail diary without being remotely concerned with what it was or who was handing it to him?

Can you imagine how that scene would've gone over in 2008?

caats said:
erm, pretty sure lucas doesn't script the Indy movies. ahh the irony in that statement.

I was referring to Ford's famous quote during the filming of Star Wars: "George, you can type this ****, but you sure can't say it." Of course, Ford then went on to be quite effective at selling hokey dialogue in all of his Lucasfilm movies.

The Man

James said:
Can you imagine how that scene would've gone over in 2008?

Why is there even a comparison between these two scenes being made? It's not as if it's Stalin in the diner.

James

The Man said:
Why is there even a comparison between these two scenes being made?

Just random examples of similar moments where the enemy was portrayed in a lighthearted manner. They sent Indy to Berlin- face to face with Hitler- and the whole thing was played as a throwaway gag. It brought down the house in 1989. I have a feeling it would've been heavily criticized in 2008.

The Man

James said:
They sent Indy to Berlin- face to face with Hitler- and the whole thing was played as a throwaway gag. It brought down the house in 1989.

It went down well over here, too. Ever seen Brookside..?

Nurhachi1991

What's wrong with the scene? It has one of my favorite lines in the movie "See those two bricks over there by the counter......... I don't think there here for the milkshakes"

arkfinder

The reason they wanted the letter (in my opinion) was so it could be destroyed. So there would be nothing left to trace it.

AlivePoet

arkfinder said:
The reason they wanted the letter (in my opinion) was so it could be destroyed. So there would be nothing left to trace it.

What I find particularly humourous is they watch Mutt give Indy the letter, Indy reading the letter, and Indy putting the letter in his pocket. And still they ask him to bring it. They have no subtlety, because English is not their native language. I get that. But if they really wanted to take his letter, why wouldn't they not mention it? Or at least wait until they can take it.

I think Indy's response truly insults their intelligence, though. Or is it alzheimer's? :confused:

Zealot

I'm sorry, but I just don't see anything hilarious about this scene whatsoever. Actually, If I was in Indy's shoes, I would probably react the same. And it doesn't have to do anything with Russian's pronunciation. I would just play dumb or something, to buy me some time or maybe too confuse the Russians, so that they may think "maybe he doesn't have that letter after all".

arkfinder

AlivePoet said:
What I find particularly humourous is they watch Mutt give Indy the letter, Indy reading the letter, and Indy putting the letter in his pocket. And still they ask him to bring it. They have no subtlety, because English is not their native language. I get that. But if they really wanted to take his letter, why wouldn't they not mention it? Or at least wait until they can take it.

I think Indy's response truly insults their intelligence, though. Or is it alzheimer's? :confused:

It's just Indy being Indy. Flying by the seat of his pants :D .