Archaeologist or Anthropologist ?

agent_dork

I'm looking into being one of those or any thing else similar after high school I'm currently going in to 10th.

So....

any advice on getting there like what i can do to prepare my self i can't really do any thing outside of school or away from home my parents don't really let me go anywhere. But what should i do until collage what should i look at any thing i can read online? what classes should i take and or focus in?

good sites to read up on?????
any movies i should watch???
how should i plan ahead.

yea and i know the whole its nothing like the movies you will be inside alot thing but its still interesting. Also i have thought about this career before i was into indy movies.

Like two or three years ago me and the other people around my age would go out and dig in this one small feild like thing and dig up these rocks that where real cool they looked like they used to be part of a reef *im in florida so its commen* and im all ways fasinated by history and achint cutlurs i never studied once for history classes and i all ways pass with a B. in earth space science class i was the only one intresting in when we learned about pompay and the whole prehistoric thing.

Hawkeye

agent_dork said:
I'm looking into being one of those or anything else similar after high school I'm currently going in to 10th.

So....

any advice on getting there like what i can do to prepare myself i can't really do anything outside of school or away from home my parents don't really let me go anywhere. But what should i do until college what should i look at anything i can read online? what classes should i take and/or focus in?

good sites to read up on?????
any movies i should watch???
how should i plan ahead.

yea and i know the whole its nothing like the movies you will be inside a lot thing but it's still interesting. Also i have thought about this career before i was into indy movies.

Like two or three years ago the other people around my age and I would go out and dig in this one small field-like thing and dig up these rocks that where real cool they looked like they used to be part of a reef *im in florida so its common* and i'm always fascinated by history and ancient cultures. i never studied once for history classes and i always pass with a B. in earth space science class i was the only one interesting in when we learned about pompeii and the whole prehistoric thing.

Cleaned up the grammar a bit.

Here's a few websites to get you started:

http://www.geocities.com/amuns_temple/Become1.htm
http://www.fabjob.com/archaeology.asp
http://admissionsuccess.endlex.com/Types/professional/archaeologist.htm

Also, if you have a library near you, try searching for books there. In school, tell your teachers of your interest. You never know how they can help. As for TV, the History Channel is great for that kind of stuff; History International is even better if you get it. As for your parents, actively show them that you hold an interest in Archaeology/Anthropology. Maybe they'll come around and let you go on an area dig in the summer.

bloodandmood

If there are any college/universities near you, try and find a professor of anthropology and try to get an idea of what it's like. If possible, ask if you can observe a working dig site, once you actually see what it's like it opens a lot of doors.

My archeology professor had a degree in anthropology, but was a professional archaeologist as only a few universities offer majors in archeology. Prior to changing schools, my major was history, but I intended to be an archaeologist. Archaeologist come from many backgrounds and majors.