How did Mutt not make the connection?

Capt. DeFense

I hoping someone can answer a question I had about what seemed to me to be a serious script flaw.

Mutt's name is Henry Jones, III. He meets someone named Professor Henry Jones, Jr. Um...how did he not make the connection?

I must have missed something. Did Indy never give Mutt his full name? Does Mutt not actually know his own real name? Someone enlighten me.

James

I got the impression that his legal name was "Henry", but not "Henry Jones III". The latter was simply Marion's way of making it clear to Indy.

metalinvader

James said:
I got the impression that his legal name was "Henry", but not "Henry Jones III". The latter was simply Marion's way of making it clear to Indy.

Yup.Mutt's name is Henry Williams.

"Good name!'' *thumbs up* haha
I love that scene!

eroc

I believe Mutt's name on his birth certificate is Henry Jones, III, but after Indy split and the baby was born, 3 months later Marion married Colin Williams, so instead of confusing the poor kid they called him Henry Williams. Get it?

Marion said his birth name was Herny Jones, III.

Michael24

On a related note, in the diner when Indy asks what his mom's name is, what does Mutt say? I thought he did say Marion, but then Indy seemed at a lost and sounded like he said, "There's been a lot of Marys over the years."

You'd think that if Mutt had said Marion that Indy would have been instantly known who it was, because I mean how many Marions can one guy know?

eroc

Michael24 said:
On a related note, in the diner when Indy asks what his mom's name is, what does Mutt say? I thought he did say Marion, but then Indy seemed at a lost and sounded like he said, "There's been a lot of Marys over the years."

You'd think that if Mutt had said Marion that Indy would have been instantly known who it was, because I mean how many Marions can one guy know?

He said Mary, her nickname.

Travis85

I assume that the kids full name is Henry III, but he was probably called just Henry his whole life, and what kid usually ever sees their birth certificate?.

eroc

Travis85 said:
I assume that the kids full name is Henry III, but he was probably called just Henry his whole life, and what kid usually ever sees their birth certificate?.

Exactly, it's not that hard to figure out.

Avilos

eroc said:
Exactly, it's not that hard to figure out.

Back then? He had no reason to ask for his birth certificate. Or even to need it. The world was tied not up in paper work and government bureaucracy like today. Back then a person could disappear without a trace. You could move to the other side of the country. Use a fake name to get a job and no one had any way to check.

DocWhiskey

The way I see it, Marion knew Mutt was Indy's kid and named him Henry. Indy ditched Marion before knowing about the pregnancy and she met the fighter pilot, Colin. She married Colin, making her last name Williams and had Henry. Henry's last name was Williams out of respect of Colin. Colin died, leading Henry to become a tough, rebellious greaser and ditched his "high society" name, calling himself "Mutt", more of a nickname really.

He thought nothing of Indy's name being Henry too. Just as if you or I met an older guy who had the same first name as us.

Mikus

Travis85 said:
His legal name had to be Henry Williams. How is it possible to be 19 and be unaware of your name, it's ridiculous! If he was named Henry Jones at his birth his legal name was surely changed to Williams. And even that seems weird.

I don't know if it's possible in States but in Poland I believe you can't give kid any name you want. If lonely mother wants to name a child and father is unknown, then child goes by mother's name (in this case Ravenwood). If father is known he must accept the child or is forced to do it by court. But then Indy would be aware of Mutt's existance.

So he probably was called Henry Williams or
Henry Ravenwood from the very begining.

Edit: I saw my birth certificate quite a few times being only few years older than Mutt in 1957.

Finn

Staff member
Mikus said:
His legal name had to be Henry Williams. How is it possible to be 19 and be unaware of your name, it's ridiculous! If he was named Henry Jones at his birth his legal name was surely changed to Williams. And even that seems weird.

I don't know if it's possible in States but in Poland I believe you can't give kid any name you want. If lonely mother wants to name a child and father is unknown, then child goes by mother's name (in this case Ravenwood). If father is known he must accept the child or is forced to do it by court. But then Indy would be aware of Mutt's existance.

So he probably was called Henry Williams or
Henry Ravenwood from the very begining.

Edit: I saw my birth certificate quite a few times being only few years older than Mutt in 1957.
Not so ridiculous in 40s or 50s, mind that. Times change, you aware of such thing?

And they have changed quite a bit in few decades. Sure, they keep records on everything nowadays but back then it could have been lot more ambiguous.

I'm not saying it's probable, but it's plausible.

Mikus

Finn said:
Not so ridiculous in 40s or 50s, mind that. Times change, you aware of such thing?

And they have changed quite a bit in few decades. Sure, they keep records on everything nowadays but back then it could have been lot more ambiguous.

I'm not saying it's probable, but it's plausible.
I mean he had to have a passport if he traveled to Peru, right? I think his name would probably be written there.