Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Pale Horse

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I doubt he would ever willingly part with the Falcon.

'Cept when he gave it to Lando to destroy the Death Star in RotJ. My guess is that Billy Dee had to take the ME over to the guys at "Pimp my Ride" there in the valley after losing the Direct T.V. satellite dish in the intense battle above Endor.

The team there outfitted the Falcon with wall to wall shag carpet and fuzzy dice. So much so that they lost Chewie for a decade.

The Stranger said:
Given that Han and Chewie had been smugglers for ages at Mos Eisley, "home" is most certainly because they will finally be back on Tatooine...

It's worth noting that the planet in the trailer isn't Tatooine. Confirmed by Abrams at this past weekends convention.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
'Cept when he gave it to Lando to destroy the Death Star in RotJ. My guess is that Billy Dee had to take the ME over to the guys at "Pimp my Ride" there in the valley after losing the Direct T.V. satellite dish in the intense battle above Endor.

The team there outfitted the Falcon with wall to wall shag carpet and fuzzy dice. So much so that they lost Chewie for a decade.

14415251851_b4d403d90b_o.gif

rotfl.gif

mf-pimp-my-ride.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t5q7Ag6j-ok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pale Horse said:
It's worth noting that the planet in the trailer isn't Tatooine. Confirmed by Abrams at this past weekends convention.

So, my fault. Didn't know that.

But I continue to consider highly unlikely that that word, "home", is referring to the Millenium Falcon. After all it has always been their ship, one of the flagships of the rebellion and basically the symbol itself of their victory against the Galactic Empire. They would have had no reason to suddenly stop using it. Especially since it's the fastest piece of junk in the universe.

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Stranger said:
After all it has always been their ship...

'Cept when he gave it to Lando to destroy the Death Star in RotJ. It was Lando's ship originally, but he lost it in a gambling match with Han.

But the ownership is semantic to the bigger questions.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
I doubt he would ever willingly part with the Falcon.

More likely he put it in mothballs because it was old and temperamental. Like himself.

kek8v.jpg

This would fit the theme of rebirth. The re-emergence of bygone things such as the Force; classic characters; the Falcon; and hopefully classic Star Wars itself, which has been neglected on screen during the PT/Clone years.

Hopefully Abrams is finally bringing it home after the strange journey Lucas sent it on.

Ah, Smiffy, I've missed your special brand of insufferable snark... :p

Montana Smith

Hasselhoff brings Star Wars home:

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x2nh9nz" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nh9nz_epic-version-of-star-wars-teaser-david-hasselhoff-edit_fun" target="_blank">

13970335010_c5bccf574d_o.gif

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here's that Vanity Fair article.
http://www.slideshare.net/tzafs/vanity-fair-june-2015-usa
Edit: on writing...
“We were struggling to come up with a story,” Kasdan, 66, admitted. “There were elements that we would come up with and say, ‘Oh, that’s good! That’s strong!’ But it was not coming together.” With Abrams now part of the development team and the already tight summer 2015 release date looming ever closer, Michael Arndt was having difficulty finishing a script within the necessary time frame. “There was a ton of ideas and outlines, a lot of cards on the wall, a lot of writing on whiteboards,” Abrams said, but no screenplay. With pre-production chores already well under way in London, where much of the filmwould be shot at Pinewood Studios, Abrams and Kasdan took over the screen-writing process, starting more or less from scratch. “We said, Blank page. Page one. What do we desperately want to see?” Abrams told me. Though Abrams said both men had pet ideas from the development process they wanted to incorporate, and did, Kasdan made the process sound like more of a teardown: “We didn’t have anything,” Kasdan said. “There were a thousand people waiting for answers on things, and you couldn’t tell them anything except ‘Yeah, that guy’s in it.’ That was about it. That was really allwe knew.” This was in early November 2013, six months before filming was now scheduled to begin, in May of 2014. (This was when the release date was pushed back to December 2015.) By mid-January, Abrams and Kasdan had a draft, most of it hashed out in plein air conversations recorded on an iPhone as they walked and talked for hours at a time through cityscapes that changed according to the vagaries of Abrams’s schedule: first along the beach in Santa Monica, then through a freezing Central Park, in New York, and finally on the streets of London and Paris. One day, the two men spent eight hours at Les Deux Magots, the boisterous café on Boulevard Saint-Germain where patrons are jammed elbow-to-elbow and which is famous for having once been a hangout for the likes of Ernest Hemingway, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Simone de Beauvoir.“ We’re like yelling back and forth in this noise, saying, This should happen, that should happen, he can’t do that—and hoping no one’s there from Cinema Blend,” Kasdan said, referring to the movie- nerd gossip site, not a French film-crit journal. Fortunately, no one was eavesdropping, though if you are interested in spoilers you can find plenty online. The schedule got so tight that—as memorialized in a photo Kasdan showed me—he and Abrams were still hashing out story beats on the film’s London sound stage while extras in storm trooper gear were being drilled around them. At any rate, whatever Abrams and Kasdan came upwith apparently pleased everyone concerned—though everyone concerned may have had no choice but to be pleased at that point.

Last edited:
Wow...they really printed things about rushed production and scrambling for ideas?

I cant discount the ideas they came up with yet, but this does not put my mind at ease about this new era of Star Wars.

Pale Horse

Staff member
featofstrength said:
I cant discount the ideas they came up with yet, but this does not put my mind at ease about this new era of Star Wars.

Chasing The Corporate Dollar reminds me of this gem:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YYmrPn1CnzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - spoilers

This thread is for all the leaks and rumors coming from loose lips and container ships. A single VII thread would have contained too much spoiler text for mobile users to decode.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/50028227
This thread and its forum will spoil everything possible, if you're into that.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Here's My Monday thought on the Matter...

h4Fo0fT.gif

But Moedred, you are way pro-active on this one. It's a pleasure being your underling.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Pale! Though I wouldn't know my way around without you senior members.

Some of the rumors got me worried about Ford's future with Disney...
Harrison Ford was intoxicated when he was injured on-set, he could not claim insurance as a result, Kathleen Kennedy had words with him when he returned to set
...because he has a history of reckless behavior.
I remember one night [on Graffiti] when we were doing the drag race [scene] down the main street in San Rafael. The first night we were shooting that, when Harrison had been drinking a little bit, and I had a bit of a set-to with him, saying, “We can’t have anybody drinking when we’re doing a driving scene at all. Don’t show up like this again,” and he didn’t. That was the end of that.
I also wonder if during the 2-week production hiatus J.J. Abrams decided to bump him off like the DUI girls on Lost.

As for the film as a whole, the excellent Kurtz interview linked above indicates they've been winging it from the start. The saga relates to classical mythology only by accident.

The First Order seems kind of disorganized. Why is Finn the only conscientious objector? Was he a cosplayer who joined a particularly nasty garrison, or has he done terrible things? And the superweapons sound like the worst remnants of the expanded universe striking back. It's up to the new characters to make fans stop missing the EU.

Lambonius

I think this synopsis is full of ****, frankly. It reads like bad fan fiction cobbled together from lazy interpretations of released images and promo materials. Notice the way several characters (like Captain Phasma) show up only once and then disappear from the "story" forever. I'm extremely skeptical that this synopsis has anything right at all.

Raiders90

Lambonius said:
I think this synopsis is full of ****, frankly. It reads like bad fan fiction cobbled together from lazy interpretations of released images and promo materials. Notice the way several characters (like Captain Phasma) show up only once and then disappear from the "story" forever. I'm extremely skeptical that this synopsis has anything right at all.

What they do have right is Han is going to die, and they are going to treat his death with the greatest amount of disrespect possible.

AndyLGR

Lambonius said:
That site has been right on the money about a lot of information before it was released officially in the trailers. Out of all the spoiler sites I think that one has the most 'credibility' so far in Star Wars fan circles.