What was your first job?

qwerty

I noteced that a lot of people here started working around the age of 15.
Isn't child labour against the law in your country?

roundshort

qwerty said:

I started at the trap club when I was 13, and no child labor laws, if they paid cash, you never really worked!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
qwerty said:

Actually, I've got my first at 17. I decided getting good grades was more important than getting a job and parents had also agreed with this. As for legal age in working, you only have to be 14 years and 9 months down here and as young as 12 or 13 as long as one has parental consent.

Cammy

My first paid job was working in a rug factory where I vacuumed and rolled up rugs all day. It was no fun when you had a cold and dust went up your nose and everything. I've done other babysitting jobs before that though.

Indyologist

When I was 16 I got my first job at Tops Markets. I worked in the bulk food section. My favorite pasttime was tasting for "bad dates" in the baking section. :) Of course, once I was assured they were okay, I made sure to put them back in the bin for everyone to enjoy. :sick:

No sense in repeating another "dead monkey" scene. :dead:

Gustav

When I was 14 I volunteered at the SPCA. My first paying gig was at a movie theater which I got suspended from for threatening fellow employees. After that I was a damn grocery store cashier and then I landed a pizza delivery job, definitely the most fun and best paying job I've had. At the same time I had that job I got a job being a waiter at a Thai restaurant, which would have been my favourite job if it wasn't so chaotic during dinner. They had very good food though and they kept me fed. Now I'm working at a sub place called Firehouse and I hate it. My last day is Sunday whether I have a new job lined up or not. So I've really gone nowhere. I also used to mow lawns when I was about 14-15 if that counts.

I'm confident things will pick up after I've made my first student film.

JoSav

My first paid job was at McDonald's when I was 15.
In our country you can get a sideline once you're 12 though it is subject to a lot of rules and regulations. I do think, however, the rules were a bit more strict when I was that young but the Dutch seem to think it's part of a child's upbringing to learn to deal with their own money and time.

I only worked at McD for a few weeks because I hated it there.

intergamer

I did some silly programming for a statistics firm in high school.. before that I did chemistry research in fiber optics when I was 15, but only for a stipend
at the moment i'm working for a large bank doing quantitative research but my fulltime job is university