Young Indy and Continuity

Vlad Dracula

I never really got into the Young Indy series. The character in it didn't feel like Indy to me. I personally consider the series and the movies a separate canon from each other.

The only episode I remember really liking was the one Harrison Ford guest starred in.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
bob said:
I am going back to this thread because it occured to me that there is some more evidence that YIJ does not fit in with the picture of Indy's youth painted by the trilogy.

1.'He said you were a bum, the most gifted bum he ever trained' Abner on Indy in the early 20's
Does this really sound like the description of the scruplously honest, heroic, innocent, and very well bred figure that we see in the YIJ series?

2.Indy's coduct in YIJ vs trilogy
In YIJ Indy does not go after the peacock instead taking a moral lesson, while in ToD he works for chinaese gangsters for a diamond.

3. 'It was wrong and you knew it!' Marion on Indy and their affair
Does YIJ seem like the sort of person who could have done anything so bad as to incite hatred from Marion after a decade and alienate Abner...

4. In LC Indy aged 13 was living in a normal looking abode in Utah while YIJ makes YIJ out to have had a life in very rich surroundings which just doesnt seem consistent with the type of character we see in the trilogy...

5. 'If you had ever been an ordinary average father like the other guys dads...'
LC sets out that Indy had a childhood in a normal setting while the series YIJ seems to suggest that he spent most of it going round the world.

6. 'You left just as you were becoming interesting'
In the seires Indy leaves and goes off to fight in WWI, wouldn't this be something worthy of comment in Henry and Indy's conversation rather than simply leaving.

Henry may also be refering to Indy leaving for the University of Chicago in "Travels with Father". For point number 3, I'd like to point out "Scandal of 1920" and the beginning of "Hollywood Follies" where it is noted that Young Indy dated three girls at the same time.

monstera

Randy_Flagg said:
For those of you who do think that Young Indy fits in so well, I'm curious to know something-- When you are watching the movies, do you honestly think of Harrison Ford's Indy as an older version of Sean Patrick Flannery's.

I sure do.

Johan

I don't know if it fits into the books and comics...but the movies it fits well.
PErsonally I like the books, because you can at least picture Harrisons younger face on Indy.

monstera

I wouldn't want it "more like the 'original trilogy.'" That sort of waters down the events of the movies, making those adventures dime-a-dozen. That's why I discount all the comic books and novels. Every few months it's some epic artifact Indy is after. I think Young Indy has just enough action to set up Indy as a future full-time adventurer, but not so much that it makes the movies ho-hum.

JoSav

I like the chronicles. Some of the many many books do give me troubles as it sort of makes all these insane adventures part of Indy's daily routine (as well as meeting all these historical figures) but for the most part the youngster adventures provide us with a background on HOW he became the guy he is in his thirties. I happen to like how arrogant and clumsy he was in his younger years because face it, he was just a kid. I happen to like that. I also like how we get to meet his mother. I had been curious about her for a long time.