Regarding The Use of Aliens

Indy1970

Spielberg -What gives?

Greetings,

Here is what I fail to understand....Steven Spieberg has said (in the making of DVD for Crystal Skull and in other interviews) that he was hesitant and even opposed to the use of aliens in this Indy movie.
The reason he gives (paraphrasing here)is that he had explored the genre (ET/Close Encounters/War of the Worlds/Minority Report,etcc) and felt it was played out and he didnt want to direct anyother alien or sci-fi type of movie.
Fine - I get it.

However if you look to see what his future projects are -Robopocalypse , and he has optioned the rights to another screen-play about string theory and inter-dimensial travel - tentatively titled InterStellar.

So what gives? Change of mind and heart?
Maybe... but people like this dont just on impulse dive on a project. They cultivate projects over the course of years and decades...Spielberg chooses what to lend his talents to....
Looking back I have interpreted what he was saying not so much literally but perhaps to mean in an uber-dipolmatic way that he wasnt keen on the way the alien story line was presented in this Indy movie so he directed out of his sense of obligation and friendship to Lucas and Ford.

Thanks for listening!

Regards!

Montana Smith

Indy1970 said:
Greetings,

Here is what I fail to understand....Steven Spieberg has said (in the making of DVD for Crystal Skull and in other interviews) that he was hesitant and even opposed to the use of aliens in this Indy movie.
The reason he gives (paraphrasing here)is that he had explored the genre (ET/Close Encounters/War of the Worlds/Minority Report,etcc) and felt it was played out and he didnt want to direct anyother alien or sci-fi type of movie.
Fine - I get it.

However if you look to see what his future projects are -Robopocalypse , and he has optioned the rights to another screen-play about string theory and inter-dimensial travel - tentatively titled InterStellar.

So what gives? Change of mind and heart?
Maybe... but people like this dont just on impulse dive on a project. They cultivate projects over the course of years and decades...Spielberg chooses what to lend his talents to....
Looking back I have interpreted what he was saying not so much literally but perhaps to mean in an uber-dipolmatic way that he wasnt keen on the way the alien story line was presented in this Indy movie so he directed out of his sense of obligation and friendship to Lucas and Ford.

Thanks for listening!

Regards!

Simply put, this happened:

GeorgeLucasStevenSpielbergPEOPLETIMEn7nVcfH0JN6l.jpg

:hat:

Indy1970 said:

I think he wasn't keen on Aliens and Indiana Jones, not just the plot, the entire premise.

Crystal Skull was the love child Lucas was keeping and the burden Spielberg raised out of a sense of responsibility.

The emotional instability is easy to understand in that light...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Crystal Skull was the love child Lucas was keeping and the burden Spielberg raised out of a sense of responsibility.

It grew up, ran away from home and fell in with a bad crowd.

Montana Smith said:
It grew up, ran away from home and fell in with a bad crowd.
Sounds like theres a grandson with a dog collar on the way...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c-zG5U0v3gU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AlivePoet

Hmmm...

May 2008
replican't said:
I really like the new Indiana Jones film.

replican't said:
There are LOTS of moments scattered throughout the film that shine like jewels in the night...Genius. Little touches like that are the ones I hang my hat on with happiness.

replican't said:
I'm one of those who loves the film and doesn't give a toss about the cgi.

February 2012
replican't said:
Look - why prod the smelly corpse of KOCS any longer? The aliens idea was rubbish, from conception to execution.

It just gets better with age... ;)

Edit: On topic - showing the alien was one of the film's bigger mistakes, in my opinion. It kills a lot of ambiguity/mystery about the appearance and identity of the supernatural forces; a key factor for the trilogy is these forces going unseen. This film being made decades after the trilogy gave Lucas/Spielberg the opportunity to do with CGI what was previously impossible without looking terrible/fake. Just think, if the technology was available back then, we might have been given a less subtle take on the supernatural in the trilogy, given Lucas' obsession with CGI. I wonder...

Last edited: