got the cash to buy my wested jacket........... but which one?

Deadlock

The difference is that the "Special offer"...

Wested Website said:
Unlike the Standard raiders which has slight modification to make it durable and street wearable this 'film jacket' although equally wearable is more lightweight.

There are no inside leather facings, the body is slimmer and the sleeves more tapered. The zip is a smaller 5 gauge nickel and the action pleat depth is narrower with two piped inside pockets.

Take my advice: if you want this jacket to last... get the goat.

I've had mine for three years and you'd never know it by looking.

Deckard

You may also be able to get cowhide which is what Tony used on the new jackets if I'm not mistaken.

Far more practical for Indy to wear then Lamb, which in reality would not have survived being drug behind a truck.

If you are slim, and I mean skinny, you can get an 80's cut, which will allow for a better Indy looking fit.

Nurhachi1991

yeah im not really slim or really fat im average

so the goatskin would be the best?

Deckard what kind do you have and do you wear it alot?

Deadlock

You have to decide for yourself what's "best". Lamb is reputed to be somewhat fragile. I can't say from personal experience.

I have a goatskin from Wested, and would buy again in a minute. Keep in mind, my goal was for Indy jacket I could wear in real life. Costuming or screen accuracy wasn't really a driver. The Wested is about 10000000 times better quality than the previous mall crap jackets I owned previously.

Regardless of the leather type, I think you'll be pleased with a Wested. (y)

Deadlock

The pictures on the Wested website really are pretty good. I don't think snapshots from me are going to look any better (I'd be willing to bet they'd look worse).

However, if you want to user pics, head over to the "Jacket" forum at Cafe Obi-Wan: http://www.indygear.com/cow/

There are threads upon threads with Wested pictures.

Also, if you're really after is a better idea about the grain, weight, color, or feel of the leather, e-mail Wested and ask for samples. I don't know if they still do that, but they used to.

Nurhachi1991

thanks for the info

god i just dont know your right about goatskin it looks great

but the lambskin is what indys was right?

Nurhachi1991

Never did get around to buying it. Recently took a look at there site and had a question. Which is better? pre distressed or not distressed. I'm referring to TROLA jacket

Mickiana

Did you mean a ROTLA Jacket? If so, buy an non distressed lamb skin jacket and distress it yourself. You will do a better job and to the level of distressing you want. I've got a lamb, a goatskin and a cowhide and I like them in that order from most to least.

Goodeknight

Nurhachi1991 said:
Never did get around to buying it. Recently took a look at there site and had a question. Which is better? pre distressed or not distressed. I'm referring to TROLA jacket

Mickiana said:
Did you mean a ROTLA Jacket? If so, buy an non distressed lamb skin jacket and distress it yourself. You will do a better job and to the level of distressing you want. I've got a lamb, a goatskin and a cowhide and I like them in that order from most to least.

I agree with Mickiana about distressing it yourself. If you get it pre-distressed, you stuck with whatever they send you.

That said, be prepared to spend a *lot* of time working on your jacket. I got mine from Wested not distressed. It came out of the box so fresh, new, and dark that it didn't look *anything* like an Indiana Jones jacket. I spend many hours with acetone and rags, sandpaper, rocks, and other items distressing it. (Numerous threads here and at Club Obiwan about distressing your jacket.)

Let me also note that even if you've never distressed leather, you at least need to have an artistic eye. I've seen some terrible distressing jobs, done by people who practically rubbed holes in their jackets here and there with no rhyme or reason. Pick a spot, and rub it in circles until it's almost destroyed.

I believe pre-distressed are thrown into a tumble cycle with some abrasive. Gets it distressed, but it's all over. When I did mine, I did a lot "all over," but then put it on, bent my arm, and added distressing on the wrinkles at the elbow, and on seams where they'd naturally wear. So think about it before you go nuts with sandpaper.

And, yes, you want GOAT!! People have ripped holes in lamb jackets by rubbing against a thorn bush. I've read articles about tensile strength and the vast superiority of goat over lamb. It's much softer than cow, and much (much) tougher than lamb.

Unless you plan simply posing as Indy in a purely urban landscape where no adventures will be had, go with goat.

And if you're 'normal' size, don't get the 80s cut.

In retrospect, I sort of wish I got the TOD cut, because it's an inch or so longer. Mine sits just about at my belt line when I'm sitting, and it can get a bit breezy.

Are you going off the rack? Or getting a custom fit? I got the custom fit to my measurements. (Had I known back then, I would have just added an inch or two to my measurements.) Now when I run into a real Indy fan, it's awesome to say it's a custom jacket from Wested, made specifically for me.

Finally, like you, I agonized over all the decisions. My Wested is now one of my favorite possessions. I wear it all the time. It looks great, and I'll probably pass it on to my son 30 years from now.

Nurhachi1991

Yes I was referring to the ROTLA jacket. I don't really want to spend months distressing it. I just want it to look relatively old. I don't want it brand spanking new haha.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Kt Templar

I think there may be a slight misconception as to what 'predistressed' means.

It's not a jacket that someone has distressed, it means the leather that it is made out of has a broken in surface.

What you end up with is a jacket that has a slightly dusty looking surface that marks fairly easily, so when you wear it edges highlight up by themselves and it looks broken in after a short amount of time.

IMO the predistressed and worn looks are better for an LC or CS jacket.

A more solid colour is better for Raiders/ToD.

Goodeknight

Kt Templar said:
I think there may be a slight misconception as to what 'predistressed' means.

It's not a jacket that someone has distressed, it means the leather that it is made out of has a broken in surface.

Yes, but I believe the predistressing method is just tossing it into a heavy duty dryer with some abrasives (sandpaper? rocks? I dunno.) Goes in dark brown (newly dyed) and comes out fairly evenly distressed all over. DIY, and you can get a more authentic distressing at the elbows, natural creases, shoulders, etc.

I suppose one could get a predistressed and then do the added distressing at those points. But my guess is you'd wind up with a jacket that just looked worn out.

Nurhachi1991

I ordered it. I got the size 44 one. Paypal was acting weird and kept giving me the order failed message on the Wested site so I used the secure form thing to pay I did get an email conformation but i'm waiting for the money to get taken out.

Goodeknight

Nurhachi1991 said:
I ordered it. I got the size 44 one. Paypal was acting weird and kept giving me the order failed message on the Wested site so I used the secure form thing to pay I did get an email conformation but i'm waiting for the money to get taken out.
So what did you go with? Predistressed ROTLA in goat?

Kt Templar

goodeknight said:
Yes, but I believe the predistressing method is just tossing it into a heavy duty dryer with some abrasives (sandpaper? rocks? I dunno.) Goes in dark brown (newly dyed) and comes out fairly evenly distressed all over. DIY, and you can get a more authentic distressing at the elbows, natural creases, shoulders, etc.

I suppose one could get a predistressed and then do the added distressing at those points. But my guess is you'd wind up with a jacket that just looked worn out.

It's a special process they do at the tannery. To be honest I have no idea how they do it.

Here is an example of one of my jackets:

Brand new predistressed leather:

Still new, but after distressing.

Nurhachi1991

goodeknight said:
So what did you go with? Predistressed ROTLA in goat?

I actually cancelled my order -_-

well the order went though but I asked them to cancel

I totally forgot about some bills I needed to take care of :dead:

But I have heard some people say the Wested jacket tears easily so I might even go with the Todd's jacket when I finally make the purchase