General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Lance Quazar

Pale Horse said:
During a phone call with investors, Robert Iger noted that Disney had no plans to produce additional Indiana Jones films and according to him {Iger}, the company placed no value in the Indiana Jones franchise when it purchased LucasFilms.

Not that I'm suggesting there actually IS a film in the works - but that information was from the original Lucasfilm purchase long before the most recent developments with Disney and Paramount.

IndyForever

Frank Marshall has never ever been someone who would mislead the fans over Indy so trust me he has chosen his words very carefully without revealing anything else :D

You can answer your own question by asking another........why would Marshall even bother mentioning Indiana Jones if something was not moving forward & coincidentally this happened within a few days of Disney/Paramount announcing their future Indy movies distribution deal ;)

Fortune & glory kid fortune & glory :)

Pale Horse

Staff member
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lI_qlGJ4OO0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nomad

Lance Quazar said:
Not that I'm suggesting there actually IS a film in the works - but that information was from the original Lucasfilm purchase long before the most recent developments with Disney and Paramount.

You're right. That statement was made over a year ago. It is doubtful that Disney would weaken their negotiating position with Paramount by indicating they were eager to pursue another Indy film at that point. Cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless that the project is about to gain a small bit of momentum.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Read the sources
It would be nice if Marc Graser provided audio or a transcript. Still, Alan Horn mentions Star Wars, Warner Brothers, Marvel and Pixar before discussing the screen-worthiness of Disney offerings. If anything, he's taking some credit and blame for recent hits and misses.

And wasn't Indy 5 by the end of 2015 a pipe dream anyway?

Last edited:

Toht's Arm

Moedred said:
And wasn't Indy 5 by the end of 2015 a pipe dream anyway?

I wouldn't have expected it any sooner than two to three years, that's for sure. I guess there was always the hope beyond hope that the beards would surprise us and let us know there was a completed script.

This timeline makes sense, though. I'd prefer if they FILMED it sooner than that, however, considering Ford's age.

Montana Smith

The Reaper said:
How is this bad news?

Only that they're going to be at least twenty years too late. :p

Never mind, it'll be set in the '60s and Marion can relate the story in flashback:

Indiana Jones: The Archaeologist Who Shagged Me.

Indy 5 Disney and Paramount

The deal sounds like it was done so Disney could justify moving forward with production. Without the deal, they would have no idea how much Paramount would hold out for. If they developed the movie, then reached the point to go into production, millions (tens of millions??) will have been spent. This allows them to move forward knowing that they have to pay Paramount $X millions off the top. It gives them an idea how to budget the movie and how much to invest that should still earn them decent returns.

Without the deal, they were probably afraid to move forward because of the unknown "Paramount" factor, which could crush any hopes of making a profit if Paramount knew they had invested money into a movie they didn't own the rights for yet.

It is a smart move, and a sign that in 3 years we will probably have another Indiana Jones with Harrison Ford. If he doesn't go for it (script approval), it leaves the door open for Disney to pursue another actor.

Indy's brother

It didn?t make sense to produce the movie at Disney and then have it be distributed and marketed by Paramount. We haven?t done anything. We don?t have a story. We need a story.
source

He referred to it as "the movie". As in "the movie that we are going to make" (whenever that may be). Obviously a movie is going to be made. The next question is what direction they want to take with it. Recast, reboot, Ford as a cameo, Ford passing it on?.

Guess that "germ of an idea" Ford kept mentioning didn't pan out.

Kernunnos

I'm very sure there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than anyone is allowed to make public right now.

From the beginning, I've thought that Disney would be utter mugs if they didn't want to do at least one more Indy movie with Harrison, and Disney are not mugs. The deal with Paramount would surely have been a lot harder to thrash out if there was knowledge of a film ready to be made and a story in place.

I'd bet my last penny that they've got both of those things. If I'm wrong, then they've surely got that being rectified. Disney were never going to get hold of the rights to Indiana Jones and just sit on the franchise, and now they've dealt with Paramount, they're going to want to move forward with Harrison at the earliest opportunity. No doubt about it.

Dr. Gonzo

FROM THE NEWS THREAD
Indyfan82 said:
What about news that might affect a fifth Indiana Jones movie? It may not be a statement from Disney, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford saying, "We are making a fifth Indiana Jones movie and you will be able to watch it in theaters on this date...." - but other news about Disney now owning the Indiana Jones character and property and such like that would certainly be worth reporting here, yes?

It would be worth putting any assumptions, not facts, here in the rumors general possibilities thread....

Actual news on a 5th Indiana Jones Film actually put on celluloid should be posted in The INDY 5 NEWS thread.

BDuncan

Variety article on Disney's options for Indy V and the IJ character

My guess is Disney will want to do Indy 5 with Harrison Ford if he's up for it, but it probably won't be directed by Spielberg, as he'd want an expensive back end deal on it and if HF says he's only up for 2 more, on condition they script and make 2 of them back to back in one hit, where it'll then be handed over to a younger actor to take over, but probably a relative, if Shia doesn't want to come back.

What the Future of Indiana Jones Could Look Like at Disney, by Marc Graser. December 6, 2013.

With films key to propping up other businesses, a fifth Indy movie could mean everything from TV shows to new toys and theme park rides.

Kathleen Kennedy already had her hands full getting a new trilogy of Star Wars films and related spinoffs off the ground at Disney. Now the Lucasfilm chief also has Indiana Jones to manage.

Disney on Friday announced that it's paid Paramount for the rights to market and release future films in the 'Indiana Jones' franchise. Paramount will continue to generate revenue through the distribution of the first 4 pics in the series. Studio will also earn a fee from the release of new Indy titles, the way it collected considerable coin from The Avengers and Iron Man 3, even though Disney financed and released those movies.

When the studio bought Lucasfilm last year for $4 billion, Disney chief Bob Iger said that while Indiana Jones was part of the acquisition, there were still some encumbrances in how it could make money from the adventurer. That included future films, given that Paramount controlled the rights to them at the time. The franchise had earned $1.9 billion to date.

And with a character like Indy, films are seen as the key in driving interest in everything else that involves the character. Now that he's officially in the Mouse House, here's what Disney might have planned for the near future:

FILMS: While Disney has yet to officially announce a 5th film just yet, the Paramount deal now all, but guarantees one is coming. Whether that's a traditional sequel, or a complete reboot remains to be seen. It's now up to Harrison Ford, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to let Disney know whether they want to continue with the saga.

TV SHOWS: It's not unlikely that Disney already is considering ways to adapt Indiana Jones into a family action series for ABC, Disney XD or Netflix the way it?s promoting Marvel?s superheroes on those channels and the streaming service.

CONSUMER PRODUCTS: There's Indy?s signature whip and hat, and Disney?s consumer products arm will now be able to exploit other ways to bring the film franchise to life through toys, books, apparel and other merchandise that. Lego had already produced a line of playsets around Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

VIDEO GAMES: Lucasfilm will now look to broker licensing deals with publishers to produce new games featuring the character the way it's done with Star Wars and Electronic Arts. TT Games already had produced two Indiana Jones-themed Lego games.

THEME PARK ATTRACTIONS: Indy already has a presence in Disney's theme parks through a pre-existing relationship with Lucas, which also added Star Wars to the parks through Star Tours. There's a version of the Indiana Jones Adventure ride at Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, while Orlando's Hollywood Studios has the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular show, but a new film (and franchise ownership) will enable Disney's Imagineers to think up new thrills for guests to experience.

Longtime Indiana Jones franchise producer Frank Marshall may have said that he believed Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the last hurrah for the series, but Disney's latest move signals that Lucasfilm's archeologist hasn't gone on his final adventure just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

bergstrom

Once Ford is gone, that's it, its over, its not Indiana Jones anymore. Reboot al you want and the reboot the reboot again (Spiderman , Hulk etc.), it will get a bit ridiculous after a while. Hopefully they'll do another one or 2 with Ford (and NO Shia whatsoever, or Marion for that matter, it slows things down).

gabbagabbahey

I think if they find the right actor that a reboot would be OK. Yes, Ford is Indy, I get that. But if they get the right replacement & the style is similar to the original series it will introduce Indy to a whole new generation.