A Scene in Last Crusade...

No Ticket

There's a scene in Last Crusade that has always bothered me. When Indy is down in the catacombs under the library in Venice, he comes across the "X" insignia shortly after seeing the Ark on the wall.

It cuts to Elsa looking around at Indy and then it cuts back. Indy begins to smash the wall. Only problem is, the wall is already cracked some now and before it wasn't at all. There's no sound effect cue to tell us that he is smashing the wall while Elsa is looking at him... and before the shot of Elsa the wall is completely intact. So it looks like it's just bad editing.

Which has always always bothered me. And I just watched it recently and it bothered me again. Anyone else notice this?

Finn

Staff member
Hmm, another continuity quirk. There are some in every film. I haven't noticed it earlier, I admit.

"So it looks like it's just bad editing."

The conversation with Kazim on the boat in Venice is some of the worst editing I've ever seen... worse even than Indy breaking through the wall in the sewer.

QueZTone

hehe the worst goof in last crusade for me is the part where indy suddenly hangs from the tank gun with the belt of his bag and there are clearly spread parts at the end of it preventing him to get into the situation easily. Of course it gets even more awkward when the tank steers away from the ridge and he suddenly freed himself instantly from belt-around-the-gun lock-up and runs up the tank to face vogel..

sarah navarro

QueZTone said:
hehe the worst goof in last crusade for me is the part where indy suddenly hangs from the tank gun with the belt of his bag and there are clearly spread parts at the end of it preventing him to get into the situation easily. Of course it gets even more awkward when the tank steers away from the ridge and he suddenly freed himself instantly from belt-around-the-gun lock-up and runs up the tank to face vogel..

that one bothers me every time ....i hate it !

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
"indy suddenly hangs from the tank gun with the belt of his bag"
That's not an editing goof, that's just a poorly implemented scene...

I don't know why Indy wasn't able to manoever free from the bag rather than trying to use brute strength to tear it off the barrell.

To ditch the bag, he'd have to take the left side of his jacket off...

Bag goes on over the left shoulder and head, to hang, from the right shoulder, across the chest to the left hip... the jacket then goes on over it.

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
To ditch the bag, he'd have to take the left side of his jacket off...

Bag goes on over the left shoulder and head, to hang, from the right shoulder, across the chest to the left hip... the jacket then goes on over it.

Ah, I forgot that the jacket was on over the strap. That would make things difficult alright. My mistake.

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
Wearing it like that DOES keep the bag strap from getting caught on most things.... At least that's my experience.

Sure, but when it does get caught it would be more difficult to get free.

I think the tank chase was the best action scene in Last Crusade. Its not as exciting and intense as Raiders' truck chase, or indeed as well choreographed (soldiers jumping at Indy with knives? Ever here of a gun?), but there's great stuff there. I remember almost cheering when Indy twists Vogels arm and starts slamming his face over and over against the tank! I love the expression on Indy's face: "Oh believe you me, you're gonna get it now."

Having looked at the scene, outside of movie magic, there isn't any way Indys bag could have got 'caught' on the tank gun barrel the way it did unless he PUT it there.... I recall thinking that the very first time I saw the film. It was jarring enough that it broke my willing suspension of disbelief...

It makes for thrilling story telling, sure, but it's not 'realistic'

(Who ever said movies had to be 100% realistic?!?!?!?! Isn't that why we go to them? To get AWAY from reality?!?! LOL )

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
Having looked at the scene, outside of movie magic, there isn't any way Indys bag could have got 'caught' on the tank gun barrel the way it did unless he PUT it there.... I recall thinking that the very first time I saw the film. It was jarring enough that it broke my willing suspension of disbelief...

It makes for thrilling story telling, sure, but it's not 'realistic'

(Who ever said movies had to be 100% realistic?!?!?!?! Isn't that why we go to them? To get AWAY from reality?!?! LOL )

Yeah. A bonus about the Flying Wing/Truck Chase scenes that cements their status as two of the best action scenes ever is that nothing happens thats unbelievable. Obviously its big and extravagant, but I don't remember anything silly happening.

"Truck Chase... nothing happens thats unbelievable"
Ya? Lemme drag you behind a speeding truck over a gravel road and see if you think it's unbelievable Indy wasn't nearly skinned alive....

I'll even let you have the ditch they had to dig so the stunt guy would FIT....

But you're not allowed to wear his safety equipment.

"I don't remember anything silly happening."
For a guy who gets punched in the face everyday all day, Indy sure has nice teeth.... In reality Indy would look more like Shane McGowan than Harrison Ford.

heh

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
"Truck Chase... nothing happens thats unbelievable"
Ya? Lemme drag you behind a speeding truck over a gravel road and see if you think it's unbelievable Indy wasn't nearly skinned alive....

I'll even let you have the ditch they had to dig so the stunt guy would FIT....

But you're not allowed to wear his safety equipment.

"I don't remember anything silly happening."
For a guy who gets punched in the face everyday all day, Indy sure has nice teeth.... In reality Indy would look more like Shane McGowan than Harrison Ford.

heh

Harrison Ford did did get dragged behind a speeding truck over a gravel road. He didn't get skinned alive.

You can't complain about the punches not doing any damage. In reality a punch like the one Pat Roach gives Indy at the climax of the fight would have sknocked four of his teeth out.

"Harrison Ford did did get dragged behind a speeding truck over a gravel road."

He got dragged SLOWLY.... and with all kinds of safety gear, you'd better believe.

oki9Sedo said:
Sure, but when it does get caught it would be more difficult to get free.

I think the tank chase was the best action scene in Last Crusade. Its not as exciting and intense as Raiders' truck chase, or indeed as well choreographed (soldiers jumping at Indy with knives? Ever here of a gun?), but there's great stuff there. I remember almost cheering when Indy twists Vogels arm and starts slamming his face over and over against the tank! I love the expression on Indy's face: "Oh believe you me, you're gonna get it now."
While the humiliated SS-Standartenführer screams effeminately.

so wah mu

You bagged it!

QueZTone said:

Yeah that one always made me go eh? (as in Heh -not Hay)