2009 Indiana Jones Lego

Jack Panix

I got an email that my Ambush in Cairo, Venice Chase, and Chauchilla Cemetery sets I ordered have been shipped. Hopefully I'll get them this week.

Jack Panix

LEGO Shop@Home in U.S. apparently dropped the price on several Indy LEGO sets sometime in the last day or so and they are now sold out:

Temple of the Crystal Skull - $56 (I have two of these; bought my second on clearance for $35).

Peril in Peru - $35 (I have two of these TRU exclusive sets too).

Motorcycle Chase - $7 (I have two of these as well).

Race for the Stolen Treasure - $21 (I've got five of these, so I'm good).

With the exception of the Race for the Stolen Treasure, the other sets are still available at retail for me, at least locally.

Trennas

Thanks for the update! Hopefully it won't be long now before they start dribbling their way into the toy stores! :D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Jack Panix said:
LEGO Shop@Home in U.S. apparently dropped the price on several Indy LEGO sets sometime in the last day or so and they are now sold out:

Temple of the Crystal Skull - $56 (I have two of these; bought my second on clearance for $35).

Peril in Peru - $35 (I have two of these TRU exclusive sets too).

Motorcycle Chase - $7 (I have two of these as well).

Race for the Stolen Treasure - $21 (I've got five of these, so I'm good).

With the exception of the Race for the Stolen Treasure, the other sets are still available at retail for me, at least locally.

Just what do you do with all the duplicates of duplicates of duplicates that you get anyhow?

Jack Panix

Attila the Professor said:
Just what do you do with all the duplicates of duplicates of duplicates that you get anyhow?
Open and build them, of course! LEGO is a great toy, unlike any other. You can build the set as pictured on the box or combine the parts with just about any other bricks made in the last 50 years to construct something new. Just think of duplicate sets as a way to add unique and specialty parts to your collection or to just army build figures and vehicles.

Check this out - back when my local K*B Toys went out of business, I bought 102 of this Star Wars set. I offered to buy them all if they gave me 80% off (they were at 70% at the time), and they agreed. The sets ended up costing me about 65 cents each - a great way to army build Stormtroopers and Imperial Officers, plus get a lot of plates, 1x2 bricks, specialty railing elements, and arches/portals.

Trennas

You know that that set is worth a ****load of money nowadays, right? I hope you left some boxes unopened, because you can sell them for a lot on eBay, especially if you have the adjacent set (with Darth Vader and the Emperor) as well! (y)

kevblee

Has anyone found any of the Lego Indy sets at Retail yet? The 5 new sets are all now available in the catalog for shop at home. These were supposed to be released in August...but I guess July is the magic month now. Just wondering if anyone has found any at retail.

Jack Panix

Trennas said:
You know that that set is worth a ****load of money nowadays, right? I hope you left some boxes unopened, because you can sell them for a lot on eBay, especially if you have the adjacent set (with Darth Vader and the Emperor) as well! (y)
Nah, I opened all 102 of those Star Wars sets. I don't collect as an investment, but yeah, I know that my collection is probably worth a fortune. I sometimes buy LEGO sets in bulk on clearance or on sale with the intention of reselling them, but I often find myself unwilling to part with them. I have a bunch of unopened Batman sets that I'll probably sell on eBay this fall, but I'm tempted to keep them. Some Batman sets have that 1930s style tommy gun but the new Indy sets have that gun too.

kevblee said:
Has anyone found any of the Lego Indy sets at Retail yet? The 5 new sets are all now available in the catalog for shop at home. These were supposed to be released in August...but I guess July is the magic month now. Just wondering if anyone has found any at retail.
I checked TRU yesterday but my store didn't have anything new yet. Usually TRU gets the new stuff first. I also checked Kmart and five Wal-Marts but didn't find anything. The big box retailers usually don't stock new LEGO until they do their holiday reset, some time in mid- to late summer I think.

I did get two new Indy sets from LEGO Shop@Home in the mail today:
7195 Ambush in Cairo
7196 Chauchilla Cemetery Battle

They also sent me a Dwarfs Battle Pack, which I get to keep for free. I was supposed to get the Venice Canal Chase.

Crack that whip

Oh, I'm envious! :eek: I do get duplicates of sets myself, though not so many as you do - my finances don't permit it, alas. I did manage to get a total of 24 copies of that Star Wars set, Final Duel II, myself. I wish I had more, though.

I'd like to get dupes of all the Indy sets partly as "army builders" (the same reason I get dupes of Star Wars sets), though so far I haven't managed to get very many - just a second copy apiece of Peril in Peru, Jungle Duel and River Chase. I do have additional copies of Race for the Stolen Treasure, Lost Tomb and Motorcycle Chase on order, though; hopefully I'll be able to afford them. :eek:

Trennas

Wish I had money for duplicate sets, but alas, I have to make do with just one of each, although I am planning on getting multiple Ambush in Cairo sets, just for the cool minifigs! :)

I know what you mean about just having to open a box of Lego for the heck of it, but still, reselling rare sets could get you more money, which could get you more Lego ;)

Jack Panix

Crack that whip said:
I did manage to get a total of 24 copies of that Star Wars set, Final Duel II, myself. I wish I had more, though.
Twenty-four is still impressive especially if you're paying retail price. I got over hundred but I only paid 65 cents each. That's a lot of Jedi Lukes that I have no idea what to do with!

I know what you mean about just having to open a box of Lego for the heck of it, but still, reselling rare sets could get you more money, which could get you more Lego
That's the idea, I'd like to make the hobby support itself. Stock up on sets at clearance time and then sell them when they go out of production.

---

I uploaded a pic comparing the boxes of Ambush in Cairo and Motorcycle Chase sets. The Ambush in Cairo box is smaller yet it has the same piece count as Motorcycle Chase. It also costs $1 more than Motorcycle Chase did.

Crack that whip

Jack Panix said:
Twenty-four is still impressive especially if you're paying retail price. I got over hundred but I only paid 65 cents each. That's a lot of Jedi Lukes that I have no idea what to do with!

I think the first one was at retail, the next few were on sale for something like $5.48, and then I got a whole slew for under a dollar in the Kay-Bee sales. The last two were gifts from a friend who'd also picked them up from KB. I do feel lucky, though at the same time I really wish I'd picked up all the ones I found on the shelves when they were so steeply discounted at KB; I just didn't have the money for more than a few at a time.

Ah, well. I've still made some other quite nice deals at various times (not too long ago, I mentioned in this very forum's "New Acquisitions!" thread that I'd gotten a copy of River Chase clearanced for $2). In fact, probably most of my LEGO sets have cost me something below their original MSRP (though not nearly "enough" of them!).

Jack Panix said:
That's the idea, I'd like to make the hobby support itself. Stock up on sets at clearance time and then sell them when they go out of production.

On occasion my finances have forced me to eBay a set or two I bought intending to keep for myself, but at least when that's happened I've always gotten more for them than I paid for them. I sold a total of four AT-ATs (the first one, from 2003, I think it was) at various times, and a handful of smaller sets as well (the original Landspeeder and Lightsaber Duel, from the launch waves in '99, and perhaps one or two others I'm forgetting).

The only one I've ever bought specifically with the intention of selling for a profit was a copy of the Batman set Robin's Jet Ski: Attack of the Penguin. Part of me dislikes the idea, but part of me thinks it's just sensible if I know I can profit with it, and that it'd be particularly fine if I bought my "investment" sets when they're still new and readily available, since I wouldn't be making it harder for others to find them at retail (if anything, by helping more of them sell more quickly, I might better contribute to the success and longevity of those sets, in my own tiny way). I think I'd like to try, even if only to ensure I can afford all the LEGO sets I want for myself.

Jack Panix said:
I uploaded a pic comparing the boxes of Ambush in Cairo and Motorcycle Chase sets. The Ambush in Cairo box is smaller yet it has the same piece count as Motorcycle Chase. It also costs $1 more than Motorcycle Chase did.

That's not unexpected. Aside from inflation (and the fact many stores already price a lot of the existing $9.99 sets at $10.99 or thereabouts), it does have one more minifigure than the previous set, which tends to boost the price of a LEGO set.

Trennas

I just got back from a toystore round, but so far no sign of new Indy Lego yet.. I hope this isn't going to take forever -_-

Jack Panix

Crack that whip said:
That's not unexpected. Aside from inflation (and the fact many stores already price a lot of the existing $9.99 sets at $10.99 or thereabouts), it does have one more minifigure than the previous set, which tends to boost the price of a LEGO set.
I didn't think about it having an extra mini-fig, that would bump the price a little. And I think all four of these figs are new or at least have new graphics.

I found four of the five new Indy sets at TRU today! Prices are little higher than MSRP, but I've come to expect that in the last couple years.

7195 Ambush in Cairo ($15)
7197 Venice Canal Chase ($45)
7198 Fighter Plane Attack ($50)
7199 The Temple of Doom ($100)

The only one I didn't see was the Chauchilla Cemetery. The rest of my Shop@Home order has shipped, UPS tracking says I should get the Fighter Plane Attack, Temple of Doom, and the Star Wars Echo Base sets on Monday. I was hoping my Venice Canal Chase would come today.

JediJones

King of Prussia, PA TRU has the new sets

I was surprised to find all the new sets today in King of Prussia, PA TRU. The prices were as follows:

$14.99 - 7195 Ambush in Cairo
$24.99 - 7196 Chauchilla Cemetery Battle
$44.99 - 7197 Venice Canal Chase
$49.99 - 7198 Fighter Plane Attack
$99.99 - 7199 The Temple of Doom

I'll definitely wait to see what Target and Walmart are charging for these since TRU has been consistently overcharging for this series. They had full shelves of every set including the new ones, old ones and even the "limited" exclusive Raiders plane.

kevblee

Of course they are showing up back east. And TRU always gets them first...and always has them for 5 to 10 bucks more than they should be.:mad: