If Lucas HAD to tinker with the 4 films, what should he do?

Indy's brother

Ok, if you are a purist, the idea alone is obviously an assault to your senses. But hey, he's known for doing it anyway, so are there any scenes you would actually WANT the guy to touch up? For one, it disappointed me that when we saw Indy's shower scene in KOTCS, the whip marks on his back from TOD were completely gone. I mentioned this in some other thread a while back, and some speculated that the Holy Grail healed it. I'm not buying it. Although the events of TOD were before ROTLA, and they should therefore appear there too, the scene on the boat doesn't show his back. Also, I can't think of any scenes in LC that show his bare back, either. Anyway, I think that detail in particular would show some real continuity with the films and was a lost opportunity to give his character's previous exploits a serious nod. Reminding the audience right up front that Indy isn't impervious to injury would have given the film a small but needed dose of seriousness.

Also, I would be ok with smoothing out some of the blue-screen scenes. In ROTLA, the storm during the Well of The Souls dig could look better. It always stood out to me as being the worst shot in the film. Not because the effects were bad, I think the color/lighting were just off too much.

232.jpg

233.jpg

Some blue-screen work in LC also could be cleaned up. Mostly the part were vogel shakes his fist in the air at the blimp, and some of the aerial dog-fight shots were too rough around the edges.

266.jpg

275.jpg

TOD doesn't have anything in particular that jumps out at me at the moment, but maybe you guys have an idea on that one.

Ok, my flame-suit is zipped up, and I have a fire-extinguisher in each hand.....

EDIT:
Oh, and I'd be ok with some more realistic looking books and shelves cgi'd :eek: behind Indy here in LC:
113.jpg

And also there's the continuity error of the "X" on the floor of the library disappearing.......

Last edited:
Though I'm fine with the work done on Goebbler's jeep, there's still a visible pane of glass/reflection IN the Well as Indy and Sallah first look into it.

Temple has so many issues, from the plane crash up to the rope bridge...

The Zeppelin was horrendous and I would be glad to see improvements.

As long as they're improvements I have no problem.

Just read a bit from John Ellis who said Lucas sent the Goebbler jeep to print "despite a chorus of concern that there was still work to be done..."

Interesting that he finally changed it.

The Drifter

You bring up a good point about the scars on Indy's back. If drinking from the Grail healed them, than why does Indy still carry the scar on his chin he got when he first used a whip?
I would also like to see lash scars added on his back in the shower scene.

The scene during the uncovering of the Well of Souls does stand out. But, it reminds me of those old Technicolor or Cecil B. DeMille movies.
Bright, and rich colors that pop out and look so rich and vivid. With stark and contrasting shadows. I love that look

Maybe touch up the stunt man's face in temple of Doom (The Spike Room scene), and the jittery look during the scene when Shorty and Indy look out over the village and the shooting star falls. That scene looks jittery and shaky to me.
The mine car scenes that use the dolls could be touched up as well.
And Vogel's death in the tank!
Please touch that up as it looks too stiff and absurd.

But, I would be happy just to have the films on Blu-ray without any added touch-ups.

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Rocket Surgeon said:
Though I'm fine with the work done on Goebbler's jeep, there's still a visible pane of glass/reflection IN the Well as Indy and Sallah first look into it.

Temple has so many issues, from the plane crash up to the rope bridge...

The Zeppelin was horrendous and I would be glad to see improvements.

As long as they're improvements I have no problem.

Just read a bit from John Ellis who said Lucas sent the Goebbler jeep to print "despite a chorus of concern that there was still work to be done..."

Interesting that he finally changed it.

These are reasonable, in my opinion. (big shock there, eh). And yeah, the plane crash is laughably horrible.

Lonsome Drifter said:
You bring up a good point about the scars on Indy's back. If drinking from the Grail healed them, than why does Indy still carry the scar on his chin he got when he first used a whip?
I would also like to see lash scars added on his back in the shower scene................But, I would be happy just to have the films on Blu-ray without any addes touch-ups.

Thanks for proving my point with the chin scar! Honestly, the puppet work in TOD and with Vogel don't bug me for some reason, which is weird to me, I don't understand why that doesn't bother me. And I agree, I'd gladly take the Blu-ray with no tampering as well.

The Man

Indy's brother said:
In ROTLA, the storm during the Well of The Souls dig could look better. It always stood out to me as being the worst shot in the film. Not because the effects were bad, I think the color/lighting were just off too much.

232.jpg

May we disagree on this one? I've always adored that master shot. Yes, it's fake, but what a fake. Reality - or CGI - could scarcely conjur up the same tone of portent and dark, spooky beauty.

Beyond that, perhaps Ol' George should look at the trilogy in hi-def and then determine where 'best' to apply the famous Lucas tinkerage. For better or worse.

Indy's brother

The Man said:
May we disagree on this one?

Well sure, there's no right or wrong answers to this. Everyone's tastes are different. I'm not even saying that the sky has to be replaced with a cgi storm or something that severe. Just run it through some filters or something to make the two images mesh better.

The Man

Indy's brother said:
Well sure, there's no right or wrong answers to this. Everyone's tastes are different. I'm not even saying that the sky has to be replaced with a cgi storm or something that severe. Just run it through some filters or something to make the two images mesh better.

Just saw your edit: yep, that phony bookcase is unacceptable. Un! Acc! Ept! Able! ;)

The Drifter

The bookcase does look horrible. But, the funny thing is that I never even noticed it until I seen someone point it out on these boards a few years ago!

Indy's brother

Lonsome_Drifter said:
The bookcase does look horrible. But, the funny thing is that I never even noticed it until I seen someone point it out on these boards a few years ago!

HAHA!! That was me in this thread, which is basically a goldmine of ideas for this thread!

Indy's brother

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Hah, I just read that page, and it was you who pointed that out. Now I chuckle/cringe every time that I see that scene.

The Toht Dummy in ROTLA is the one that kills me now. Wish it had never been pointed out to me! If anyone needs to know what I'm talking about, search for it, I'm not going to ruin it for anyone else.

The Drifter

Indy's brother said:
The Toht Dummy in ROTLA is the one that kills me now. Wish it had never been pointed out to me! If anyone needs to know what I'm talking about, search for it, I'm not going to ruin it for anyone else.

I seen that thread as well, and it also irks me when I now see the slouching Toht dummy. Some things are best left unnoticed. :D
And to bring this thread back on track. I agree with Montana about the plane crashing and sliding into the tunnel. But, the look on the pilot's face is priceless.

Montana Smith

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I agree with Montana about the plane crashing and sliding into the tunnel. But, the look on the pilot's face is priceless.

That look saved the day!

It would be an easy fix to clean up the halo surrounding the plane, unless they've already done that, as they did with similar problems in the Star Wars Special Editons.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Fixing the Well of Souls cobra glass was unacceptable, no edits for me thank you.

The Man

It's often those little nuances that matter...

"Part-time."

In the Skull teaser, Ford's delivery of the line was nonchalant, casual, cool. Put that take back in the movie. I.L.M. need never be bothered.

Indy's brother

The Man said:
It's often those little nuances that matter...

"Part-time."

In the Skull teaser, Ford's delivery of the line was nonchalant, casual, cool. Put that take back in the movie. I.L.M. need never be bothered.

That's a great one. I've never understood why they used that one in the film, and the "I never should have doubted you my friend" line had a better take too, if I remember correctly. I think it was in the bonus features. The "Part time" in the trailer was badass. The one they used in the movie was,...well,...I just don't get the logic of that choice at all.