Anyone been on or thought of going on their own Indy adventure?

fortuneandglory

I'm going on an Indy-esque adventure next year... at least its the closest I've ever gotten. I'm going to archaeological field school in Oklahoma. Pre 911, they'd fly you out to Tall Hisban, Jordan for a Month or Three. Now that the climate is a little hotter, they try to keep it in country. Last year the field school was in Spiro Oklahoma. Don't know where its gonna be this year! Hope its out of state, I'm not SUPER interested in Oklahoman archaeology... Think I should get a Fedora for the trip?

indyt

I look at my mission trips as Indy adventures. I have always wanted to be an archaeologist but God had me to go in another adventure. My last adventure was in May preaching the gospel in the jungles of South America. I will be going to the Caymon Is and Jamica this month. Hopefully, if plans go well I will going to Kenya next Spring.;)

Indyfan28

At the moment, most of my adventures are generally based within several miles of my home or atleast in the US but myself and a small group of my equaly adventurous friends are currently plotting a journey to an Indy-style location, such as Peru or Egypt.

Benudo

This is an interesting thread. I can't speak for more than myself, but I'm guessing that many of us are attracted to Indiana Jones in part because we wish we were him ("fantasy" isn't a word I normally like to use, but it fits). However, a lot of what I'm reading in this thread seems closer to Young Indiana, or an Ernest Hemingway novel. For something to be an (adult) IJ adventure, I expect a physical threat to life and limb, which I hope to never have. The Ravener who had uniformed guys w/ guns and German Shepards pointed in his direction sticks out.

I don't mean to take away from anyone else's experience. Spontaneous and rugged travel in exotic places is always exciting. Makes me jealous. :p

berelain19

I don't expect i ever will,but I can dream,can't I?

I'd like a search for the Library of Alexandria. It's still pretty mysterious!

And there are some Fabergé Eggs that are ''lost''.I'd like to find those,too!

Routledge

To date, I've been ghost hunting in the hardcore haunted sites in England and monster hunting in Loch Ness!
Oh, and I was in Honduras for a month where I saw Maian ruins with temples and ancient crocodile pit booby traps! That's the closest thing to Indy I've ever experienced.

roundshort

I have been serious research at some of the finest Bars, Saloons, Cafes, and restaurants around the world. I know the Grail is at the bottle of a bottle of something, "hick" no to just find the right bottle.

indy34

i climbed mount koziosko and also went a bit into a cave then my dad called me to get out of there because i didnt have climbing equitment

does that count:D

whipcracker666

Me and a friend have been fossil hunting in the nearby peace river. It's a hot spot for finding all kinds of prehistoric fossils ancient camels and whale bones
can be found there as well as a variety of sharks teeth, native american beads, and the occasional arrow head. the most coveted fossils that are frequently found there are giant megladon teeth( like a giant prehistoric great white shark). these can fetch anywhere from a few hundred to a couple of thousand $$$. we've only found small common sharks teeth and a hand full of the native american beads but were still hunting.

The_Raiders

I always wear my fedora pretty much wherever I go, Hiking in the Alaska wilds ispretty neat, this summer I'm probablt going to see family and old friends in Texas, we'll see what me and my old fedora get into this time :whip:

whipcracker666

The_Raiders said:
I always wear my fedora pretty much wherever I go, Hiking in the Alaska wilds ispretty neat, this summer I'm probablt going to see family and old friends in Texas, we'll see what me and my old fedora get into this time :whip:

Yeah I always wear my fedora, shoulder bag and safari shirt when ever we go fossil or relic hunting . My buddy alwas tries to poke fun at me and say things like " What are you trying to look like Indiana Jones or something?" or " you bringing your bullwhip this time?" . I just shrug it off though , at least I look like I know what I'm doing. The only drawback to wearing my fedora while fossil hunting is other hunters assume I'm an expert and they keep bringing their finds over to me and asking "Is this worth anything?"

The_Raiders

whipcracker666 said:
Yeah I always wear my fedora, shoulder bag and safari shirt when ever we go fossil or relic hunting . My buddy alwas tries to poke fun at me and say things like " What are you trying to look like Indiana Jones or something?" or " you bringing your bullwhip this time?" . I just shrug it off though , at least I look like I know what I'm doing. The only drawback to wearing my fedora while fossil hunting is other hunters assume I'm an expert and they keep bringing their finds over to me and asking "Is this worth anything?"

Haha, yeah, alot of times people give me strange looks when they see a punk lookin kid wearing an Indy fedora lol :cool: I am looking into getting a satchel bag, I might make my own if I can get the material. I like to wear my fedora out at my aunt and uncles cabin when I visit them, it's in the middle of the woods and me and my uncles kids usually hike around, and I'm the oldest so I feel like the leader, and it always reminds me of the beginning of RAIDERS, Indy leading the Puruvians around :p

whipcracker666

I live in southwest florida so there's no lack of outdoor adventure to be had.
we have numerous hiking, canoe trails and indian mounds to explore in the everglades, and the ten thousand islands, all within an hour from here. plus if your into fossil or relic hunting there are plenty of old seminole war era forts and rivers full of prehistoric fossils. And for the people who really want to score big head on over to the treasure coast, aptly named for the fleet of spanish galleons that sank on the east coast of Florida. People find spanish coins and other treasure with common metal detectors on a pretty regular basis.

The_Raiders

Taht's pretty neat stuff. I lived in Arizone along time ago and enjoyed finding fossils. Up here in AK, I have hiked twice up on this mountain (not sure ofit's name:eek: ) but it was a blast, and it's not a hike to be taken alone, we went so far back, and there have been bear and moose sightings there, but there's suposedly a great fishing spot back in there according to my uncle, I planned on checking it out this summer but I'll be in TX! :p

whipcracker666

My wife and I were planning a trip to the caribbean this spring or summer.( She was born and raised on the island of St. Thomas, U.S.virgin islands)
Unfortunately this years land taxes were higher than expected and it cut into our vacation fund.:(

Yure

Not very archaeological, but last summer I traveled for over 3000 miles all over Europe, alone on motorbike, just me and my camera. Went from southern Italy to London, through France. Sort of a trip to find enlightenment :D