Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - initial impressions and casual discussion

Chilled_Monkey

drwynn said:
I think Harrison and the gang shine. I even had no problem "accepting" Mutt (and going into it, I was very skeptical of the character and the idea of him). I think perhaps the reason some say this is because of a few scenes in which Marion seems to come off as a bit "flat" during the action...but, hell...these people are 19 years older. I don't blame them for coming off as a little older and having it show in some ways. But, "going through the motions"? Never...

My major criticism would be in the use of CGI; it's definitely there...and sometimes it was apparent. But, hell...even that didn't really bother me because in the past they would've used bluescreen, matte paintings, models, etc. And all of those things are apparent too if you're looking for it. The only reason I say I criticize the use of CGI is this; if you're going to write a finale that you imagine as being accomplished by CGI...then, maybe think of another way of geting the same message across without being totally reliant on CGI. Does that even make sense? It does in my head...but, that's not saying much, right?

I LOVED the plot...yes, to me it was engaging. It took a bit of time for the film to explain to the audience just exactly WHY it was so important for the Crystal Skull to not fall into the wrong hands. But, when it is explained...it does make sense. Perhaps there's not the same type of "gravitas" as the danger of the Ark falling into the wrong hands...but, there's still a worldly threat of the Skull being used improperly. But, you have to be able to accept the premise of what the Skull is capable of; but, being an Indiana Jones film...I believed right from the get go. Because, it wouldn't be a film all about a "false prophet" relic, would it?

I DON'T buy the premise that there isn't any tension. Perhaps I wasn't as afraid for Indy because, after all, he IS Indy...and I'm an adult and don't see things the way I did as a kid. I usually assume the hero will always prevail...especially in a Spielberg film, for cryin' out loud. But, there is tension in the film. Like I said...perhaps not as much as there was in "Raiders"...but, that's because the potential of the Ark as a weapon seemed more deadly. The potential of the Skull seems dangerous...but, it's not as outwardly destructive. It's more of an internal threat. Might not make sense now...but, when you see the film...that sentence will make total sense.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot drwynn! (y)

That's subdued my concerns far better than any critic could :p

Oh and thanks ROTLA as well :)

jtobin13

others going to lost city

Hi
Were there any others going on a treasure hunt in any scene sir.??Are there any Cameos from previous SS films?
thanks john

Last edited:

peterlally

nzlc said:
omg i cant wait two more days i cant believe its nearly happening.i think this movie will leak on the net by saturday

It already has but you must resist the power of the dark side.

UltimateManGod

ROTLA said:
When Mutt was about to put the fedora on she said, "oh, they're going to make him the new Indy," and then Indy takes the hat, places it on his own head and gives Mutt that I-don't-think-so look. Great, great ending.

That just sealed the deal for me. I was somewhat worried about how the end would play out, but I'm not anymore. Bring on this weekend! (because I'll be home this weekend from summer school, and my parents want to go with at least me, if not my sisters.) Otherwise, I'd see it opening day.

donufro

What's the Tarzan monkey thing?

From what I've read, Mutt sees monkeys swinging on vines and he does the same thing. I didn't think that sounded unbelievable though. Obviously people have done it.

Or do they play the Tarzan yell during it? That would wreck it for me.

laudnergomez

donufro said:
What's the Tarzan monkey thing?

From what I've read, Mutt sees monkeys swinging on vines and he does the same thing. I didn't think that sounded unbelievable though. Obviously people have done it.

That's the scene. People will have trouble with the amount of CGI in the scene and the overall comedic/fantastical nature of the moment. It's goofy, but it didn't pull me out of the film. It might destroy the movie for some. It's surely a "Lucas" moment.

donufro

I don't see why it would be any more outrageous than Short Round and the ladder grabbing a hold of the rope (always liked that as a kid)

And when it comes to the amount of CGI and it's fake-looking nature, think about this. The other three movies had those wonderful blue-screen black outlines around people, and 12-inch stop motion miniatures.

CGI doesn't look any faker than those did but it doesn't ruin the movie if it's good storytelling ;-)

Silentrascal

I know Spielberg isn't really noted for doing it, but did you stay past the credits? Was there any extra little scene stuck in there?

gallandro

ROTLA said:
2. The animals. I hate when Lucas goes "kiddie" on us and he did it again. The opening "mountain" clip was ok, but they should have stopped there. The "Tarzan/monkey" scene was too much and pretty much unbelievable. Other than that, no major complaints.

Ummm Spielberg directed the film... not Lucas. His choice... Spielberg never goes kiddie on us... cough, cough.... Lost World gymkata velociraptor take down... cough, cough... Hook... cough cough.... Lost Boys.... cough cough....

Yancy

MattJones

gallandro said:
Ummm Spielberg directed the film... not Lucas. His choice... Spielberg never goes kiddie on us... cough, cough.... Lost World gymkata velociraptor take down... cough, cough... Hook... cough cough.... Lost Boys.... cough cough....

Yancy

I never had a problem with the Velociraptor take down from Lost World...

Does that mean I'm going to love IJ4? Yes.... (y)

gallandro

MattJones said:
I never had a problem with the Velociraptor take down from Lost World...

Does that mean I'm going to love IJ4? Yes.... (y)

I don't have a problem with the scene either, but most complaints you hear about it is that it's "goofy" in the context of the rest of the film.

Yancy

SZNUR

laudnergomez said:
That's the scene. People will have trouble with the amount of CGI in the scene and the overall comedic/fantastical nature of the moment. It's goofy, but it didn't pull me out of the film. It might destroy the movie for some. It's surely a "Lucas" moment.
Is it annoying like Van Helsing swinging finale ?

donufro

Fantastical things have been the hallmark of Indy movies. Nobody should complain at all.

There is a suspension of disbelief for ghosts, lightning, faces melting, flaming sacrifices, mine cart chases, burning stones, a joust with a flagpole against a nazi with a gun, an invisible bridge and a 700 year old knight.

When did swinging on vines get to be so ridiculous in comparison? I think it'll be cool to watch.

Btw, if Indy had done the swinging, nobody would say anything.

davejames

donufro said:
I don't see why it would be any more outrageous than Short Round and the ladder grabbing a hold of the rope (always liked that as a kid)

And when it comes to the amount of CGI and it's fake-looking nature, think about this. The other three movies had those wonderful blue-screen black outlines around people, and 12-inch stop motion miniatures.

CGI doesn't look any faker than those did but it doesn't ruin the movie if it's good storytelling ;-)

Exactly. I don't see how the CGI in this movie can be any worse than some of those zeppelin shots in Last Crusade. Now THAT was some truly bad bluescreen work.

Plus most scifi fans tend to be a lot more demanding and hard to please when it comes to CGI than normal people. Sure, even the very best CGI never looks 100% convincing (just like even the best stop-motion and model work of the past never did), but that doesn't necessarily make it bad or low quality work.

Darth Vile

I think that the quality of the modern CGI and older blue screen/stop motion can be on a par (both good and bad). I think it's just that CGI is sometimes left to linger in a shot for perhaps longer than it should. A poor matte or blue screen shot can be gone before you know it with a fast cut, whereas excessive CGI tends to dominate the screen (and I say that as a fan of CGI).

Goonie

How many Cemetary Warriors?

How many Cemetary Warriors are in the movie? According to the Hasbro 3.75 inch figure insert there's three. Is this true. I want to know so I can build my cemetary warrior gang.

Goonie said:
How many Cemetary Warriors are in the movie? According to the Hasbro 3.75 inch figure insert there's three. Is this true. I want to know so I can build my cemetary warrior gang.

And you posted this in the spoiler section....why?