Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #126
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
@Stoo - I've been absent from the site for a while due to work and family commitments, but just wanted to chime in and say I'm enjoying your stellar work (especially your custom Indy props - don't think I hadn't noticed) and looking forward to Malta !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
GREAT new pics. Malta sounds like a real adventure! Hope you two have a blast!
Glad you're enjoying them. Really lookng forward to the trip but, unfortunately, I won't be as free to take photos in Malta and will be lucky if I get anything more than 3 or 4 (my girlfriend doesn't know anything about this and don't want her to find out. Shhh!)
Quote:
You could try boiling and reshaping his hands (and allow them to cool in the revised position). Frankly I'd be tempted to glue to case into his palm
Will try that, but wouldn't even think of gluing it. That would seriously confine him to a limited amount of poses. Nice to hear you like my custom prop, Inky! I'll include it in the Zip-loc baggie for kicks. Maybe he could collect other props along the way! Question: Do you mind if I add a new sticker to the luggage?

For consistency's sake, you might as well add Neuchâtel to ititenrary item 02.

More Indy in Montreal:

"Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel built in 1771 on the site of an older one from the mid-1600s. The statue is referenced as "our lady of the harbour" from Leonard Cohen's famous song 'Suzannne'. Climbing this tree is kids' play." (This photo is dedicated to AlivePoet and ResidentAlien.)

"The last metro is due any minute!"

"Damn! Missed it! Now I'll have to walk back to the hotel."

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #127
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Indy in Montreal c.1932

Double post but something I wanted to mention:

In Marvel's, "The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" #4, Gateway to Infinity, the following exchange takes place after Dr. Jones and companion escape from a tunnel in the London Underground, 1936:

Karen Mays: "That was quick thinking, Indy!"
Indiana Jones: "Thanks but Montreal should get the credit! I worked a dig there a few years back. A subway construction crew had uncovered a Seneca Indian burial ground. I learned a lot about Senecas. And subways!"

-A subway construction crew in the early '30s? NO WAY! They only started digging in 1962!

-The Seneca in Montreal? Erm...no. Even though the digs yielded hoardes of First Nations artifacts, the Seneca tribe were not in the area.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #128
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Ah that blue metro...

But damn those bastards for raising the price to $2.75 a ticket. Or has it gone up again? Gov't thievery. And the metro isn't even very good. A subway ride in Beijing costs roughly $0.30... And they have better air con too...

But the PT aside, Montreal is the best
AlivePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #129
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Stoo, you're really setting a great benchmark with your photographic record of Indy's journey. When Indy finally gets home he's going to need a massive photo album for this trip!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #130
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
"I'm still on the hunt for the church the clue pointed to so here I am at the Old Port."

I meant to comment on this photo before. Was the name of the ship intentional?

Indy's looking for a church, and de Sauniere was the name of the priest at Rennes le Chateau, a key point in the theory of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail , which lead to Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #131
Stoo
IndyFan

Post Professor Jones Returns From Malta

04 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 24-May-10 / DEPARTED 28-May-10
05 - Malta (Stoo) - ARRIVED 28-May-10 / DEPARTED 31-May-10
06 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 31-May-10 / DEPARTING (tomorrow hopefully)

Indy has returned from Malta relatively safe & sound. The only damage suffered was a lost luggage sticker. Will have to check the photos to see, approximately, when it fell off. It might help determine why it did. The 1st sticker which fell off in Switzerland was recoverd and re-applied but this recent one is gone for good.

On the upside, I managed to get many more shots than anticipated but most of them were taken guerrilla-style, some behind my girlfriend's back (literally, since I even took a photo of Indy directly behind her head and she didn't even notice!)

A few more Montreal pics to come before I post the Malta trip but here's a sneak-peek at Indy's Mediterranean adventure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivePoet
But damn those bastards for raising the price to $2.75 a ticket. Or has it gone up again? Gov't thievery. And the metro isn't even very good.
The price is still the same. $2.75 is indeed criminal but I think the metro is quite good (except for the fact that it doesn't go to the West Island).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Stoo, you're really setting a great benchmark with your photographic record of Indy's journey. When Indy finally gets home he's going to need a massive photo album for this trip!
Hope I'm not posting too many photos. I'm sure others will be able to capture some better snapshots. So many great ideas came to mind only until AFTER it was too late and the camera I'm presently using was not made for this kind of photography!

The Saunière name on the ship was unintentional. Pure coincidence, I'm afraid, but a nice one.

P.S. Still no takers from Chicago? C'mon, WE NEED INDY IN THE WINDY CITY!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #132
inky_skin
IndyFan

Don't worry about the luggage labels Stoo. That preview for Malta looks killer - seems that you've finally hit your stride with the photography. Presumably you've hooked up with Billy Ray and everything is squared for Afghanistan ?

I'd like to go on record as saying (and I hope everyone seconds this), your tenure as Indy's host has been AWESOME. Thanks for kicking this project off with such dedication and passion.

Onwards ! And remember, a journey is not an adventure until something goes wrong...
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #133
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

STOO!

GREAT Malta pic! Cannot WAIT to see the rest. Awesome focus and the location is pure Indy!

I agree with Inky, you have gotten this project off to a wonderful start! Great stuff!!!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #134
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Hope I'm not posting too many photos. I'm sure others will be able to capture some better snapshots. So many great ideas came to mind only until AFTER it was too late and the camera I'm presently using was not made for this kind of photography!

You can never have too many photos! As Inky said, your Indy trip is fantastic!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #135
Stoo
IndyFan

Mini-anda Jones

Thanks for the kind words, stout yeomen. Very much appreciated. Unfortunately, the Malta preview pic is the sharpest of the lot so don't expect too much!
Quote:
Presumably you've hooked up with Billy Ray and everything is squared for Afghanistan?
Yes, Billy Ray and I have been communicating and I have his mailing address but, like an emotionally attached foster parent, I have grown to love mini-Indy as my own and will be keeping him. I have spoken at length with Indy about this and he would like to stay with me, too, so we are currently pursuing a legal course of adoption and his journey has come to an end. (We've picked out a colour for his new room and will begin painting this weekend.)

Just joshin'! I don't wanna say 'goodbye'...*sniff*
Old 06-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #136
Stoo
IndyFan

More Mini-ana Jones in Montreal

Indy missed the last metro so he's walking back to his hotel...

"'The Bay' department store. The Hudson's Bay Company has been around since 1670 and is one of the oldest companies in the world. Certainly the oldest in N.America. I should have dropped in earlier to have a look at their hats. The prestigious hatter down the street, Henri-Henri, is too expensive."

"This is supposed to stay kiddie-friendly so I'll keep to this side of the street. Not my type of place, anyhow." (Another "Abbey Road"-type photo.)

P.S. The Raven calling Chicago...Come in, Chicago...

Last edited by Stoo : 06-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #137
Stoo
IndyFan

Penultimate Pics of Indy in Montreal

"Dad must have known about this. The Canadian Black Watch. This Royal Highland regiment formed during the American Civil War and fought in the Boer War, both World Wars, Korea and Afghanistan. Something I found in The Sailor's Church in Old Montreal points toward Afghanistan...oddly enough...I'm gonna have to go there..." (Photo dedicated to adventure_al)

"A '57 Chevy Bel Air. Crazy kids...They should stick to something more modest, like my old '34."

"Absurd lines and I don't like the color...I prefer black or green."

Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 AM   #138
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
"Something I found in The Sailor's Church in Old Montreal points toward Afghanistan...oddly enough...I'm gonna have to go there..."

Really ? What was it ?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:40 AM   #139
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Really ? What was it ?

Osama Bin Laden's memoirs???
Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #140
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Quote:
Onwards ! And remember, a journey is not an adventure until something goes wrong...

Indy will definitely find plenty of adventure here...things have been quite adventurous as of late.
Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #141
Stoo
IndyFan

Key

Quote:
Really ? What was it ?
A gold ring which once belonged to the Shah Shuja of Afghanistan. There's an inscription on it. How did an Afghan ring get to the Sailor's church in Montreal?

A French Catholic priest, entombed in the church, was once a Canadian Voyageur. The Voyageurs so impressed the British Gen. Wolseley during his 1870 Red River Expedition, that he hired them as boatmen for the river column in the "attempt" to save besieged General Gordon in Khartoum in the Sudan, 1884-85. The priest saved the life of a Gordon Highlander who almost drowned in a cataract on the Nile. This soldier had served in Afghanistan a few years earlier but the ring was an heirloom from his grandfather. His grandad was an officer who had 'creatively acquired' it from the Shah in the late 1830s during the events leading up to the 1st Anglo-Afghan War (1839-1842). The ring was bestowed as a gift upon the man who saved the Highlander's life.

Indy found the priest's crypt, broke it open and stole the ring! (I actually made a mini-gold ring/bracelet out of a gold twist-tie but never used it in a photo. Don't know why...)
Quote:
Indiana Jones: Helping people get laid since 1936
O.K. I'm not kidding...It happened again a few more times. Most notably: A sophisticated lady walking her dog; a cute, giggling redhead who was passing by on the steps; and a group of Sicilian girls in Malta. WTF?

UPDATE: DELAY! Indy is all packaged and ready to go but the Swiss Post Office doesn't know what to do with the address Billy Ray provided me with since it is a U.S. Army Post Office address. The mail has to go through Germany first but the address is rather cryptic. (Fine for mailing from The States but not from La Suisse.) I've PMed Billy Ray and am doing my own research so hopefully we can get things worked out A.S.A.P.!

I must admit, I kept him a few days longer than promised. The main reason being, I really wanted to get a shot of the Alps but never got the chance to get close and the weather conditions have been obscuring the view from here. Will have to wait for Indy in Austria with Keith/DoomTown!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
Indy will definitely find plenty of adventure here...things have been quite adventurous as of late.
Cannot wait to see Indy if Afghanistan, Billy Ray! Indy is suffocating in the envelope but at least it's more comfortable than carbonite.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #142
NickTurner
IndyFan

Fantastic job Stoo! This is a really enjoyable thread and I can't wait to see where Indy gets to next!

Don't really know what else to say but I had to chime in with something!! Oh, it's great to see you weaving in a little history - very Indy appropriate! Hope I can think of something when it's my turn.
NickTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #143
Stoo
IndyFan

Arrow Indy's Last Dance in Montreal

"Gotta get back to the hotel...Early flight on SwanAir to catch tomorrow mor - What the HELL is this?...Can't get out that way!"

@AlivePoet: The re-faced section of Jeanne-Mance street. Close to the spot where you & I were within 100 feet of each other at the Ben Harper concert last summer! I paid a visit to the beer stand next to the screen you were watching. Remember?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurner
Oh, it's great to see you weaving in a little history - very Indy appropriate! Hope I can think of something when it's my turn.
It's everyone's chance to show off their territory! If some history can be 'weaved' in, all the better. Having some kind of continuing narrative to connect all the locations would be a bonus!

I agree with you, Nick. Can't wait to see where Indy ends up next. In the meantime (to fill the gap while he reaches Billy Ray) I've got plenty of new Swiss & Maltese photos to share.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #144
AlivePoet
IndyFan

Quote:
@AlivePoet: The re-faced section of Jeanne-Mance street. Close to the spot where you & I were within 100 feet of each other at the Ben Harper concert last summer! I paid a visit to the beer stand next to the screen you were watching. Remember?

Absolutely remember, I can't forget that night. Best part of the concert was his Queen (I think "Under Pressure"?) encore. The rest of the night is, well, history.
AlivePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #145
Stoo
IndyFan

Exclamation Dilemma!

Quote:
Well, we have problem now. After reading some more about mailing Indy to Billy Ray in Afghanistan, the envelope HAS to go to the U.S. FIRST! All mail must go through the United States Postal Service where packages are scanned before being sent on to the Army Post Office. Unfortunate!

http://www.bootsonground.com/usps-shipping-faq.htm
http://www.bootsonground.com/online-purchasing.htm

Billy Ray said to skip him if the situation was a problem but it would be a real shame to do that. Maybe I could mail Indy to someone in the States who could forward him to Billy Ray in time? The info I read said it takes mail 7-21 days to get to Iraq & Afghanistan. The average is 2 weeks (but assume 3 was the advice.) WHAT TO DO?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #146
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Yeah, I definitely don't want to throw a wrench in things or have anyone have to pay extra shipping or anything.
Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 AM   #147
Stoo
IndyFan

Exclamation Dilemma Update & Logistics

My good friend, Le Saboteur, offered to be the go-between for the rush to Billy Ray. The question is: Can it be done in time? I can go the post office tomorrow, Monday morning (07 June).

Via Swiss Post:
-URGENT mail delivered to N.America in 1-2 days but costs 70 Swiss Francs which, at the moment = $60 US/$62 CAN/€49 Euro/£41 GBP. (I could handle that price but would rather find an alternate solution and save this as a last resort.)
-RAPID service can get Indy to N.America in 4-5 days (and is considerably less in price) which would make an ETA of 11 June + 7-21 days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I'm in New Jersey...I might be able to get him in Princeton, I KNOW I could do it if I get him by July.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
Hey Inky, just discovered this thread. I am in Afghanistan right now, will be here till the end of July if you can fit me in.
Depending on the precise dates, another option could be that Rocket mail Indy to Billy Ray AFTER his visit to Princeton. Would that work? Would there be enough time?

This is a PUBLIC CALL FOR ADVICE as a decision needs to be made very soon! (...and if I have Indy in my hands for any longer, I'm going to rip open the package and start taking more pictures! I don't want to have to say 'goodbye' twice.)

Before & After photos of the diary:

Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #148
Rocket Surgeon

I was kind of looking forward to GETTING a parcel from Afganistan, if need be I can send Indy from his home town here in New Jersey.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #149
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
This is a PUBLIC CALL FOR ADVICE as a decision needs to be made very soon! (...and if I have Indy in my hands for any longer, I'm going to rip open the package and start taking more pictures! I don't want to have to say 'goodbye' twice.)

Okay, I'm making an executive decision...

Stoo - mail him to Rocket Surgeon via regular airmail - I don't want you spending loads to rush him to the States.

Rocket - please send Indy to Billy Ray once you are done with him - however, you need to do this before the end of the first week of July. If this means he doesn't reach Princeton - well, so be it.

Billy - rather than mailing Indy back from Afghanistan, maybe he could personally accompany you home and then you could send him to Orlando from there ? What's the deal with mail for you once you've left - will it be forwarded to your home address (in case Indy misses you) ?

01 - UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-May-10
02 - Switzerland (Stoo) - ARRIVED 11-May-10 / DEPARTED 13-May-10
03 - Canada: Kingston (Stoo) - ARRIVED 13-May-10 / DEPARTED 16-May-10
04 - Canada: Montreal (Stoo) - ARRIVED 16-May-10 / DEPARTED 23-May-10
05 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 24-May-10
06 - Malta (Stoo) - ARRIVED 28-May-10 / DEPARTED 31-May-10
07 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 31-May-10 / DEPARTING ???
08 - East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon)
09 - Afghanistan (Billy Ray)
10 - Orlando (theinterchange)
11 - Indianapolis (bonoferox)
12 - West Coast USA: Culver City (Lance Quazar)
13 - West Coast USA: LA / SoCal (Pale Horse)
14 - West Coast USA: San Francisco (NickTurner)
15 - West Coast USA: San Francisco (InexorableTash)
16 - West Coast USA: San Francisco / New Orleans (Le Saboteur)
17 - Australia: Queensland (hemble)
18 - Australia: Canberra (indy34)
19 - Australia: Geelong (Ed Dolista)
20 - Korea (AlivePoet)
21 - Austria (DoomTown)
22 - Scotland (adventure al)
23 - UK (inky_skin)
25 - Canada (throwmetheidol)

Last edited by inky_skin : 06-06-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 AM   #150
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Rocket - please send Indy to Billy Ray once you are done with him - however, you need to do this before the end of the first week of July. If this means he doesn't reach Princeton - well, so be it.

I will try to get him to Princeton, but the odds are slim, closer to none if he's to catch a flight by July 9th, (let me know if you meant the 3rd).
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote