Trilogy on Blu-Ray

borntorun97

Lance Quazar said:
Look, I am absolutely no one's expert on the subject. I'm assuming a "digital freak" knows much, much more on the subject than I do. This is purely anecdotal.

But I bought an UK blu earlier in the year that I could not play.

Doing some research, I discovered only a very small fraction of US blu rays are equipped to play 50hz. And that is NOT considered "region coding". The discs were advertised as "region free."

I would simply advise anyone looking to buy the UK discs to do some research so they don't get stuck, as I did, with something they cannot play.

What UK blu ray did you buy that did not work? Was it one that was originally a BBC television title or an actual Hollywood movie?

Montana Smith

DarthIndy said:
I just watched my copy of the Raiders blu-ray and reports of the anomalies at the start are true. The intro is strangely yellow/orange and there is a noticeable blurring effect when Satipo turns around for Indy to brush off the spiders. Not sure what happened there. The restoration is not as jaw-dropping as Jaws...

Mandible said:
Mine [TV] has been professionally calibrated. My issues aren't coming from any other place than concern; the whole film looks like it's had a yellow wash put over the top. The contrast is too high and the color balance is overt.

A stylized grade should add to the aesthetic of the film and evoke a mood whilst never drawing attention to itself.

More positive from Ron:

hemble said:
I picked up mine yesterday and watched Raiders and it looked great, yes there is area's that look a little brighter then I remember but nothing a little twinking with the brightness and contrast controls can't fix.

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4873096#post4873096

Lance Quazar

borntorun97 said:
What UK blu ray did you buy that did not work? Was it one that was originally a BBC television title or an actual Hollywood movie?

Sherlock.

BBC TV.

If that's a problem unique to British productions, I'd love to hear it.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I have a bad feeling that Frank Marshall's Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom isn't on the Blu-Ray.

Is that a different 'Making of...' ?

This is the listing for the UK release:

Disc 5--Bonus Features
Bonus features are presented in standard and high definition (as indicated below) in English with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.

? New--On Set with Raiders of the Lost Ark
o From Jungle to Desert
o From Adventure to Legend

? Making the Films
o The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981 documentary previously unavailable on DVD)
o The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark
o The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
o The Making of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
o The Making of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (HD)

? Behind the Scenes
o The Stunts of Indiana Jones
o The Sound of Indiana Jones
o The Music of Indiana Jones
o The Light and Magic of Indiana Jones
o Raiders: The Melting Face!
o Indiana Jones and the Creepy Crawlies (with optional pop-ups)
o Travel with Indiana Jones: Locations (with optional pop-ups)
o Indy?s Women: The American Film Institute Tribute
o Indy?s Friends and Enemies
o Iconic Props (Crystal Skull) (HD)
o The Effects of Indy (Crystal Skull) (HD)
o Adventures in Post Production (Crystal Skull) (HD)

Montana Smith said:
Is that a different 'Making of...' ? This is the listing for the UK release:

If I had to guess, (and I do)...

The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981 documentary previously unavailable on DVD) is distinct from:

...because they're on the DVD.

If the Frank Marshall Doc were included it might be listed as:

The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984 documentary previously unavailable on DVD)

God knows there was no "real" Making of Last Crusade documentary...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
If I had to guess, (and I do)...

The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981 documentary previously unavailable on DVD) is distinct from:

...because they're on the DVD.

If the Frank Marshall Doc were included it might be listed as:

The Making of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984 documentary previously unavailable on DVD)

In that case I'd say it isn't going to be there either.

A second look at TOD would have been preferable to a single 'Throwing together of KOTCS', which, along with the film itself, is already available anyway.

paraiderfan

Goodies with the Blu Ray

OK guys, got the Sunday ads here.

Wal Mart doesn't even have the movies advertised.

Best Buy has them in their ad for 64.99-no goodies.

Target has theirs for 68.99 and is offering 5 lithographs.

Looks like Target hit the target.

Goodeknight

And a handful of lucky folks walked away from the AMC marathon trivia finals with a mail-in voucher for a set of blu-rays. "four to six weeks delivery."

digitalfreaknyc

I did notice that they fixed Willie's line in TOD where she says "For God sake, help me! What's the matter with you!" She no longer stutters on "what's the matter with you." I'm *that* geek.

digitalfreaknyc

Blu-ray.com's review

From Jungle to Desert (1080p, 29:35, various aspect ratios, DD 2.0): This feature begins with raw location scouting footage, intercut with a Steven Spielberg interview. The piece continues to show audiences chronological behind-the-scenes footage of the making of various scenes, intercut with remastered clips from the film. Also included are on-set interviews with Harrison Ford, Steven Spielberg, and additional cast and crew; deleted scenes; bloopers; outtakes; and more. This is a thorough, engaging supplement that practically transports viewers to the set of a major motion picture -- and a classic at that -- for a fascinating look at how it all came together.

From Adventure to Legend (1080p, 28:17, various aspect ratios, DD 2.0): A continuation of the previous piece, beginning with a look at set construction and scene preparation while Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford examine storyboards, all in preparation for filming the "Well of Souls" snake sequence. The supplement moves on to the making of the "flying wing" fight sequence, the truck chase, and on through to film's end. Additional discussions include the movie's scale and the importance of being thoroughly prepared on a movie set, location scouting, and more. Deleted scenes are worked into the supplement's narrative flow. The supplement concludes with outtakes and deleted scenes from The Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade, and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as well as a few brief looks at Composer John Williams at work.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

russds

The supplement concludes with outtakes and deleted scenes from The Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade, and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

This is sweet. Anyone who has the BR already, can give more details? Super excited.

WeAreGoingToDie

j1i4E.png

Target has freebies!

digitalfreaknyc

Ugh. From blu-ray.com

Yes we get about 2 minutes worth at the end of 'On set with Raiders of the Lost Ark' but it's just a compilation edited together with music playing but you get to see some interesting snipets such as Willie escaping back to her room only to be ambushed by the Prime Minister and Thugi guards.

What a tease. :(

caats

Lance Quazar said:
Sherlock.

BBC TV.

If that's a problem unique to British productions, I'd love to hear it.

Yep, it is unique to british TV stuff. Something about how they size it or something is different from US TV stuff. Doesn't apply to movies.

SIGH GUYS I DON'T KNOW IF I WANT THE UK LIMITED OR NOT. FUuu.

caats

Dr.Jonesy said:
Does anyone know where in the US I could get the DigiPack?

It's a thicker set/case with actual plastic holders for the discs. I'd really prefer to drop the cash on the box set I want rather than the one that has the sleeves for the discs. If I'm spending this kinda money, I'd rather it be on the set I really want.

Anyone know where in the U.S. I could find this puppy. Looks amazing.

img1539gt.jpg

img1540a.jpg

img1541xt.jpg

And am I the only one who wishes they'd release the artwork in the set for the 4 films so I could frame them? They're amazing!

wait a minute, are these images even in the US release?

EDIT: Ah they are, but the coloring is different.

I think my plan is to check out what the Target lithographs are and make my decision that way. Tuesday is a killer day for me. New Killers and Ben Folds Five album and of course this.