Suggestions for the next Indiana Jones Game

indyjones2131

Hopefully they'll take this feedback to heart:

1. No or far less context sensitive actions - There is no fun in pressing one button only to watch Indy take out his whip, wrap it around a branch, swing, let go and land. With no chance of failure, we as players feel FAR TOO separated from the character and the action. Let us choose the whip. Walk or run around with it in our grasp. Then crack it where we want. Let us figure out where to swing with it and when to let go for the landing.

2. Less action more adventure - Put us in dangerous situations and let us use our head to escape. Where are the set pieces that we know and love from the films? Indy should not just run around an environment beating up and shooting people. He should be in over his head in a crashing plane, a pit of snakes, a runaway mine cart, etc. He should be EXPLORING tombs and crypts. Indy thinks on his feet, so why are we forced to do ONLY what the designers want us to? Let us "make it up as we go".

3. Slower more deliberate controls - Slower controls!? What do I mean!? Well, there's no fun in RUNNING through a temple. And no one complained in Fate of Atlantis about Indy walking everywhere. There should be a sprint button no doubt, but having Indy run like a cartoon character around what should be a tension filled, atmospheric crypt ruins the mood and feeling of discovery. In SoK I never ONCE felt like I was actually IN these environments. They weren't immersive and I just ran through them anyway.

4. Story and Character. Indy is an icon. From his gear (ehem, satchel) to his clumsiness and smarts. His weakness for women. His swagger. His temper. His fierce determination. You lose this, you lose everything. And what is the player model of Indy always so stout? He should be tall and lean.

5. Have it come out for 360, PS3 AND PC. Give the Wii its own version (like Ghostbusters is doing).

In the end what I am proposing is the immersion of IM, the depth IM, the attention to story of IM and ET (minus the Frankenstein) and the fighting system of ET, but with less of it.

jones3d

The first (and logical) suggestion is giving the franchise to a competent and notorious developer.

For God's sake, look at Uncharted, it's amazing, better than a movie!

And please, don't make us wait a thousand years.

indyjones2131

Good point about Uncharted. I've only played the demo, but I am DYING to get a PS3 and play the rest.

Can you imagine what Indy COULD be like if given his due effort and care!?

Trennas

It could do an incredible lot. I recently began playing Uncharted for the second time, and it still amazes me how well the game has been constructed in every way. It looks, feels, plays and sounds like a complete, polished product, and besides the older point and click Indy games, I have yet to come across one that had all these elements combined.

But you were asking for suggestions, and I would love to give a whole bunch, but I'm quite tired so I'll do that at a time when I'm more awake XD

Here's one though: Don't let Lucasarts develop it internally. That place is a mess. (y)

jones3d

One of the best things Uncharted has is that the main character is very charismatic, with great sense of humour.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lambonius said:
Fate of Atlantis is, hands down, the single best Indy story ever put to video game form, and may actually be the single best Indy story ever done outside the three films (and, for my money, may even be a sight better than one or two of the films themselves!)

I simply don't understand why Lucasarts doesn't learn from its mistakes and simply make a game that has the great action elements from something like ET, the more open exploration of a game like IM, and the fully-fleshed out story with plenty of inventory/NPC interaction from FOA. It's such a moronically simple A + B + C concept. Why can't they just friggin' DO IT?!

I'd say that this post from Lambonius over in the "Staff of Kings" thread is a pretty good start.

bennihana123

I'd love a new point-and-click game instead of a 3-D action title, but that probably will never happen.

They need to focus on the story.

Only have action where i's relevant. I haven't played IM or SoK yet, but in ET it seems like they just keep tossing enemies at you for no reason.

More adventure and exploring.

jones3d said:
The first (and logical) suggestion is giving the franchise to a competent and notorious developer.

AMEN! I'm beginning to hate this game...it feels like it shoulda, coulda, woulda been fun in average competent hands.

Morning Bell

SoK had a lot of potential, and while I enjoyed the game it's too brief and cluttered with bugs that prevented the game from reaching the epic scale that it could have achieved.

What I really would like to see in the next game is another EPIC Indy adventure. Games like FoA and ET worked partly because they felt like the films: large, sprawling, fast-paced, and they really revealed something about Indy's character and backstory. SoK is pitifully short and ends right as it's beginning to pick up. The story is great but it's told poorly and doesn't give us the sense of danger and risk that should be associated with an Indy adventure.

The Tingler

May I add:

• Larger, more explorable levels.
  • Skippable cutscenes, particularly the damn logos at the beginning.
  • A post-WW2 setting, or alternatively:
  • Nazis. Swastikas. No excuses, this is Indy. They're in, and if not, don't bother and give another Russian adventure.

Lambonius

Attila the Professor said:
I'd say that this post from Lambonius over in the "Staff of Kings" thread is a pretty good start.

Lol...nice to be recognized. And I stand by that post one hundred percent. Add to it everything that the topic creator said. ;) The real sad part about it is that a really great Indy game would be hugely successful. Again using the example of Uncharted--a fantastically made action-adventure title with a super high level of polish--it was very successful, and it was a completely new series! Imagine a game of that quality, but carrying the Indy license! There was a time when an Indiana Jones computer game meant real quality--unfortunately, Indy games today (thanks to SoK) have the stigma of being cheap, rushed movie tie-ins.

Lucasarts, please redeem Indy in the eyes of gamers everywhere!!!

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Lambonius
There was a time when an Indiana Jones computer game meant real quality--unfortunately, Indy games today (thanks to SoK) have the stigma of being cheap, rushed movie tie-ins.

I disergree! I don't believe ET was any better quality, with graphics or story. But its still a good game.
Why do fans obsess over graphics. Big whop. The story is what counts. And Staff of Kings had that all the way. The graphics weren't that bad anyway. So get over it people!:gun:

For the next game we might see Indy against the maybe the Russkies (Or even the Japs, Nazi's or Red Chinese!) looking for possibly Excalibur. It should have a key chase sequence, fight sequence (against a human foe- a Colonel or something like that). A balance of action and adventure/discovery. Ironic ending, i.e. Villian killed by artifact ect. And an intreging cast, interesting girl, sid-kick (We could see Marcus or Sallah return in a game- even Mac):hat:

lao che & sons

Hans said:
they (lucasarts) should make a movie videogame out of the movies.:gun:

Now that would be awesome!! I would love to play real life levels from the movies instead of lego. Maybe with Indy 5 they'll do all of the movies seperatley(y) (y) I would love driving short rounds car or flying a biplane with Henry Sr.

Jonesy9906753

They need to let it be on a next gen console(s) that can give it the best quality for the player,not make it so hard to beat one level,give us good voice actors (harrison ford actually voicing indy) Bring back old faces,spend time on it without rushing it to PS2 and Wii,no more kiddie lego stuff,Draw influence from the way they made Infernal Machine.

Hans said:
they (lucasarts) should make a movie videogame out of the movies.:gun:

c9_8.jpg

Last edited:

lao che & sons

^^ I know about the old greatest adventures fro the Super nentindo But I mean like a next gen game for each film including Indy 5 If they start now they could do it. Or they can make 2 games 1 for each trilogy and release it if Indy 6 comes out. I would like to see these movies as a game and not as lego. With new voice-overs that sound great the same original music, and features like trailers and a documentary on each film. It could really be done well if they start now and do Indy 5 last. I'm dying to play the shanghai car chase in Lego or any game(y)

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by lao che & sons
I'm dying to play the shanghai car chase in Lego or any game

Well good news! I've read that the next LEGO Indy game will include Shanghai chase as a level! Have fun!:hat:

AlivePoet

Can you imagine if they announced, in the same vein as their announcement about Monkey Island, that LucasArts is remaking FoA AND developing a brand new point 'n' click Indy adventure game? (Not that FoA needs a remake, in my opinion; but it'd probably be the most likely marketing strategy.) I would have a party just to celebrate this. It would be almost as good as a fifth film announcement.

Lambonius

AlivePoet said:
Can you imagine if they announced, in the same vein as their announcement about Monkey Island, that LucasArts is remaking FoA AND developing a brand new point 'n' click Indy adventure game? (Not that FoA needs a remake, in my opinion; but it'd probably be the most likely marketing strategy.) I would have a party just to celebrate this. It would be almost as good as a fifth film announcement.

I would actually be considerably MORE excited about this than the announcement of a fifth film. My love for old-school adventure games is seconded only by my love for all things Indy. I would be especially excited if they had a developer working on it who has already proven their quality at creating point-and-click adventure games.