Insanity Machine :)

JerryKing

After the question about extracting dialogue from Infernal Machine, I looked at the game's intestines again, and though I think the task mentioned is next to impossible, I began monkeying around with what I found in there... which resulted in something very amusing, and something that I really wanted to do in 2000 - managing to visit the "forbidden areas" of the game. So, if you still remember the IM levels, you might want to have a look...

Remember the tropical valley to which Indy exited from the Tibetan monastery? Personally, I always wanted to see it... and now I did. Here it is. Complete with Indy. Two of them, in fact:
15tz4.jpg

Doctor Jones goes for a swim and meets Dr Jones enjoying a boat trip:
33oo.jpg

Indy can finally explore his mountain camp from the first level, without Sophia's nagging and complaining:
25yh2.jpg

Volodnikov isn't happy, and who could blame him? It's not often that someone walking in front of you manages to slash you from behind at the same time:
45ju1.jpg

That sunset from the end looks so nice... but proves considerably less impressive when viewed up close...

Actually, Sophia, I do find it rather funny...
54jv.jpg

JerryKing

By the way, it's possible to save in these situations, and the saves load correctly, so I could upload them somewhere if anyone wanted to experience the lunacy... :D

nd

JerryKing said:
By the way, it's possible to save in these situations, and the saves load correctly, so I could upload them somewhere if anyone wanted to experience the lunacy... :D

Yes, please :cool:

JerryKing

By the way, there are some interesting comments inside the game files. For example, the ice monster is "Ice Chicken", when Indy's plane shows up, there are enthusiastic shouts of "It's da plane! Da plane!", Indy is sometimes still referred to as "Kyle"... Some explanations of what the game does and why it does it are interesting, too: "Hide the stupid monkey!", "Much work to hide one lousy 3DO. Stupid horizon sky!", "Something blow up reeeeal good!", "That's because Steve didn't want to fix this bug". At one point, if the player makes a mistake, the game apparently is supposed to print the following message... ahem: "Get the FARC (*) out of here!". :dead: But how to trigger it, that I do not know... (the debugger?)

(*) No, not the Colombian guerillas. The verb.

JerryKing

Just beware of shattering some mysteries when venturing into previously unavailable areas...

"Is that my name up there? That thing looks whippable!"

"Maps? Pah! I have the place names signed on the places themselves!"

I wonder if Emperor's Tomb has a possibility of doing something like that... I did remove the annoying tunnel digger from it, but that was only to complete the "von Beck" level, and I just dislike that game too much to look at it... but perhaps someone feels like it...