Indiana Jones RPG (TSR)

Moebius

does anyone here have the Indiana Jones RPG game books from TSR? I was thinking about seeking them out if they were worth it. Any opinions?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
welcome_tumma.jpg

Welcome, Moebius.

Tom Jones

Canyon said:
Hi Moebius. Welcome to The Raven. :D

Although I haven't actually played them, I have three Indy TSR RPG's - The Crystal Death, The Golden Goddess and the Fourth Nail (pictured in the second row down:

Books%20and%20RPG's.jpg

Also, more information can be found here.
http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9125985/IJC/Games/RPG/RPG.htm

Hope this helps. :)

Wow Canyon. That's a pretty impressive collection. I have most of the McGregor\McCoy novels myself but it looks like you've got a head start on me! ;)

Moebius, first off welcome. Even though I haven't had a chance to play any of the Indiana Jones RPG's I have seen them shown on the Internet. From what I've seen they look like they'd be really fun to play with someone. Some of the stories that they contain sound pretty interesting too.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently the Nazi party is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm! ;)
--------
[TSR] was the subject of an urban myth stating that it tried to trademark the term "Nazi". This was based on a supplement for the Indiana Jones RPG in which some figures were marked with "NAZI(tm)". This notation was in compliance with the list of trademarked character names supplied by Lucasfilm's legal department (specifically referring to a particular illustration of a Nazi on a cardboard game piece, which is legally trademarkable). Later references to the error would forget its origin and slowly morph into stories of TSR's trying to register such a trademark, possibly aided by TSR's own reputation late in its existence as a "trademark Nazi" company.
Marvel Comics also supplied a list of trademarked Marvel characters which included the term "NAZI(tm)".
---------
I guess they're referring to the first book. Canyon, if you have this book, can you scan an image of the little cardboard guy?

DoomTown

Moebius, welcome...

I bought all the Indy RPG books a few years ago as I was getting out of my RPG playing days, and got them mostly for reference and collectible reasons. The times I did play it (VERY few...), I enjoyed the West End games version a bit more, and would suggest starting there if you can find it. The only book I couldn't ever find (funnily enough) was the "Artifacts" sourcebook, which I now see you can get on Amazon for about 50 bucks. :eek:

Montana Smith

KVoss said:
Moebius, welcome...

Moebius joined about 5 years ago, and hasn't posted for almost 2 years. ;)

But, for the record, KVoss, I agree with you on WEG over TSR. I always found WEG full of detail and useful background information, whereas TSR seemed very flimsy.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Jones_Award
This is all that that remains...
Eventually the Lucasfilm license expires and is not renewed. The word comes down from TSR head office to TSR UK that all unsold copies are to be destroyed, as per the terms of the license.
The Diana Jones trophy was created in the UK offices of TSR in the mid 1980s to commemorate the ending of their license to publish The Adventures of Indiana Jones Role-Playing Game. The trophy itself is a perspex pyramid containing the burnt remains of the last unsold copy of the game; all that is legible of the title is "diana Jones". The trophy was "liberated" and eventually ended up with the Diana Jones committee. The destruction of "one of the least-loved and critically savaged games of all time" was seen an appropriate symbol for an award for excellence in gaming. The trophy also contains a counter that reads "NaziTM" from the game. While the trademark claim was present at Lucasfilm's insistence, it led to rumors that TSR had tried to trademark the term.
DianaJonesAward.jpg

http://www.dianajonesaward.org/about.html

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The Diana Jones award has been lost in the mail. "Perhaps it now sits in a box inside a warehouse somewhere."