Celebration of the Moon Landing!

indifan101

Hey Indy fans! Just thought I could make a thread to celebrate the moon landing by Apollo 11! On July 16, 1969 the crew of Apollo 11 were the first to step foot on the moon! Today is July 16, 2005. Almost 30 years since Neil Armstrong was the first man to step onto the lunar surface for the first time. Because of this couragous landing we can now send man farther into space.

"Thats one small step for man, And one giant leap for mankind!" - Neil Armstrong, Apollo 11

We have taken the step, now we must take the leap farther into space.

Last edited:

KDuncan

That reminds me of some line in a TV show, it went something like: "One giant leap for mankind; it seems now to be more like a stumble in the dark."

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
indifan101 said:
We have taken the step, now we must take the leap farther into space.

That "step" was taken during the cold war when the cost of such a program had no importance. Now is another story and I'm not sure it's part of the priorities.

Jay R. Zay

because...?

do you think any place out there that you can reach before you die could be better? or is it just this common "earth is uncool" attitude? personally, i don't miss any of the conditions on any of these planets and moons out there.

let's face the facts, vaxer is right. what are we looking for out there? nothing. we probably won't find aliens this easily and if we do, it will probably be some kind of bacteria that is interesting for scientists but not for the average E.T. and independence day audience. are we looking for new worlds? the costs and effort it would take to create a new world would be higher than improving this one.

man in space is something that is only done for our honor. okay, we've had a man on the moon. is our life better now? how about the first guy on mars - do you think anything would change? no human being could do what a robot can't, at least nothing of any importance out there. during the cold war, as vaxer said, the space program was supported for prestige and especially the USA did their best to sell this competition with the USSR to their people. but now this space hype is over. space isn't so interesting anymore. we know what's out there: cold rocks, vacuum and fireballs. not very pleasant, not very spectacular. and probably, while we live, this isn't going to change. perhaps in 500-1000 years we will find something great, a new world for us, e.t. intelligence or whatever. but until then we have problems to solve right in our backyard, not lightyears away. that's where our money should go or mankind may not live to seriously reach for the stars.

"do you think any place out there that you can reach before you die could be better? or is it just this common "earth is uncool" attitude? personally, i don't miss any of the conditions on any of these planets and moons out there."

A world without Jay R. Zay would be alright. But seriously, with the terrorists and an overpopulated world, what's to like? ;)

"do you think any place out there that you can reach before you die"

I'm not talking about it in MY life time...

Read "The Millennial Project" by Marshal T Savage...

IAdventurer01

It's not so much an "Earth is uncool" attitude as a "the people inhabiting this beatuiful planet are uncool."

As for what we gain from the space program, while it is great to satisfy our curiosities of space, sometimes the most beneficial parts of going to space and other worlds are the technologies we develop to get there.