Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2014, 01:34 AM   #101
Temple Raider
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
Venice is in Europe. Personally I think KOTCS and TOD are the 2 movies with the least scope about them in terms of the locations they travel to.

I think what those two may lack in scope they make up for with the locales having a bit of character of their own. I can't quite describe it, but the locales in TOD and KOTCS feel more "alive" to me than what's in ROTLA and TLC.
Temple Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #102
Temple Raider
IndyFan

I think this makes for an interesting topic, any Indy fans who regard TLC as the weakest even with both TOD and KOTCS in the mix? It's very rare that it's considered as such.

As I said before, KOTCS was easily my least favorite for a while but with repeat views I liked it much better and now prefer it slightly to TLC, and I've known of a few others who felt similarly.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #103
Temple Raider
IndyFan

Almost a year since this topic had any posts. Anyway, recently going through the whole series again, I find TLC definitely holds up the least well for me with rewatches. It's still good but for some reason there's a bit of a blandness to it when compared to the others. I guess it's just it trying to ape Raiders so much that it feels uninspired compared to the rest. I still enjoy it but it seems to diminish slightly every time I watch it, whereas the first two remain the same and KOTCS improves.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #104
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
I always enjoy watching TLC again, as much as TOD.

Raiders is of course an absolute, timeless masterpiece.

KOTCS has a few good moments, but Harry was just too old for me, even back then.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #105
mrman7
IndyFan

LC used to be my favorite as a kid but recently has been eclipsed by Raiders (Return of the Jedi used to be my favorite SW movie too but now it's Empire).

Now that I'm older and know a little more about how films are done, I see that LC has some pretty sloppy elements to it (the fake bookshelf behind Indy in the Library, Elsa's weird " in this case it's the literal truth" line jump, some silly humor etc.) However, I think it has a great heart, fantastic score, good stunts, an AMAZING performance from Connery, a fantastic repoire with Ford, the loveliest leading lady in the series and a truly epic quest at the center of it. All in all, I'd say it's the second best in the series.
mrman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #106
AndyLGR
IndyFan

TLC used to be my second favourite in the series behind Raiders, but as I've got older I think I appreciate TOD even more now and thats slowly become tied with TLC for me. The elements of TLC that now grate on me are the opening young Indy sequence and the crappy humour with Marcus. But really despite that its probably just nitpicking on my part, because the standard of all 3 films is so high in comparison to other similar genre films. The quest for the Holy Grail and the parallels between that and Indys relationship with his dad make it a really good macguffin and I love Connerys performance in it.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #107
Glenville86
IndyFan

In order from first to last of the movies for me:

1. Raiders
2. LC
3. TOD
4. Crystal Skull
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #108
mrman7
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86
In order from first to last of the movies for me:

1. Raiders
2. LC
3. TOD
4. Crystal Skull

Good list. TOD and Crystal skull oscillate back and forth for me in terms of bottom slot
Old 06-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #109
Duaner
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman7
Good list. TOD and Crystal skull oscillate back and forth for me in terms of bottom slot

Crystal Skull (though I actually like it) should be firmly entrenched at #4 for every Indy fan. Temple of Doom is actually, in my opinion, slightly better than Last Crusade (which is fantastic though!)
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #110
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I watched LC again yesterday, and afterwards I thought I'd have a look at all the films respective ratings on imdb. I was surprised to see TLC rating very closely behind Raiders 8.6 with 8.3 out of 10. TOD gets 7.6, which I think is harsh, whilst KOTCS has 6.2.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #111
mrman7
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
I was surprised to see TLC rating very closely behind Raiders 8.6 with 8.3 out of 10. TOD gets 7.6, which I think is harsh, whilst KOTCS has 6.2.

For better or for worse, I think that order is conventional wisdom among casual fans. I think that a lot of people actual favor TLC ABOVE Raiders because the Sean Connery element is so popular.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #112
Temple Raider
IndyFan

Connery is awesome in TLC and a total show-stealer and his chemistry with Ford is outstanding. That said though I find TLC falls short of the first two for me but I still enjoy it a great deal. TLC and KOTCS are neck and neck for me for third and fourth place. TLC has the nostalgia factor while KOTCS feels more fresh.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #113
Major West
IndyFan

I never liked TLC when it first came out. Too much comedy, I eventually warmed to it over the years, and really like it for what it is. One thing I never liked, and it might be a strange thing to dislike, and TLC is on TV as I type this. Indy wearing a tie in the middle of the movie, Why is he wearing a tie? I never thought to question the reason, but it just occurred to me there isn't a reason to wear a tie with that gear, in the situation he's going into.

I do like all the interaction between Connery and Ford, especially knowing that all their dialogue was penned (uncredited) by acclaimed British playwright Tom Stoppard. A playwright famous enough that we studied some of his work at school.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #114
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

Isn't he wearing the tie as part of his (terrible) disguise to talk his way into Castle Brunwald? He loses the tie after the escape.

Edit: (( Neat! 1000 posts in a mere 12 years. I'm a talkative fellow. ))
IAdventurer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #115
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAdventurer01
Isn't he wearing the tie as part of his (terrible) disguise to talk his way into Castle Brunwald? He loses the tie after the escape.

Yes, could be.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #116
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAdventurer01
To clarify: The tie is first seen at the beginning of the Venice sequence, but by that time he's not wearing the leather jacket but a full suit, so it kinda makes sense. He then wears the jacket + tie combo all the way throughout the castle and zeppelin bits. The last time he's seen wearing it is on the beach when Henry enlists the aid of seagulls to destroy the chasing plane. He loses the tie once they join Sallah in Hatay.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #117
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
To clarify: The tie is first seen at the beginning of the Venice sequence, but by that time he's not wearing the leather jacket but a full suit, so it kinda makes sense. He then wears the jacket + tie combo all the way throughout the castle and zeppelin bits. The last time he's seen wearing it is on the beach when Henry enlists the aid of seagulls to destroy the chasing plane. He loses the tie once they join Sallah in Hatay.

But he is not wearing the same tie all that time. In Venice he wears a tie in bordeaux color and then a black one.
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #118
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakis
But he is not wearing the same tie all that time. In Venice he wears a tie in bordeaux color and then a black one.
And he's also not wearing the jacket in Venice.

However, he does wear a tie for quite a bit longer than just the castle sequence. It's kinda obvious why he's got one in Venice because he's in a suit. Why he chooses to wear one with the jacket is never explicitly explained.

Not that it makes the film a single bit worse, but I guess this is the very place to inspect detail like that.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:08 AM   #119
Gear
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
However, he does wear a tie for quite a bit longer than just the castle sequence. It's kinda obvious why he's got one in Venice because he's in a suit. Why he chooses to wear one with the jacket is never explicitly explained.

I think the best explanation, as depicted on this forum, is that he wore it to look more 'presentable' to his farther, who he is saving after years of no contact.

Also, maybe it was the directors showing visually his dad's intellectual influence on him, and a symbol for his more-than-perceived similarities to Sr.

Or it just changed up his seasonal wardrob.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #120
Túrin Turambar

Garbage absolute nonsense it's the best one.
Túrin Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:29 AM   #121
Raiders112390
IndyFan

My ratings:

ROTLA : 99%
LC: 98%
YIJC/KOTCS: 90%
TOD: 86%
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #122
neverAcquiesce
IndyFan

Got to see a midnight screening in an arthouse theatre two weeks ago. It was amazing.
neverAcquiesce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:48 PM   #123
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I've always enjoyed TLC but one thing that has always bothered me is the editing and the fact that some of the scenes just feel out of place. For instance, the scene where Indy is hanging from the satchel strap on the tank is a great scene but how did it get stuck there? He would have had to have wrapped it around the end of the blown out current and then when he pulls himself up his bag magically comes with him. It takes me out of a cool stunt because it all happens randomly. The same thing happens with the traps at the end, where one minute Indy is in danger and then we suddenly cut to a scene where everything seems to be okay. They're minor gripes but I feel that Indy seems to "teleport" a bit too much in-between cuts and it feels like there should be another shot in there to explain what happened.

Other than that I think it's a solid film.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #124
Tank Driver
IndyFan

I went back and forth on this for the last couple of years. It was a neck to neck race between this and Temple. If it wasn't for the fact I love medieval lore/history; Temple would edge it.

What's ironic... I actually left the theater with that kinda "ho-hum" feeling after I watched it opening weekend. It wasn't till it was released on home video where it really excelled for me.

I do notice now over time... I just skip the young Indy introduction. It's actually got to that point where I find it dull

And over this time, I'm adlibing here... Maybe do a quest for the first marker? Make Donovan more of a poignant character in the beginning... I don't know, maybe show him more chums w/ Indiana. Make us hate him more when he finally reveals us his Nazi guise.
Tank Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #125
Indy McFly
IndyFan

Last Crusade is my favorite.

As a child of the 80's, I loved all of the original three. Once home video video came to be I could enjoy the film over and over.
The relationship and the character development of Indy and his Dad is an amazing parallel to me and my own dad. My dad has a PhD. and has worked as a college professor. My dad is definitely not a field agent.

I also love the message of the movie, and the fact that in the end they fail to acquire the Grail.

My Indy outfit has been done in the Crusade motif.

Currently I am working on a SR. outfit for my dad to cosplay.

Steve, Staff writer at IndyMag.com
Indy McFly is offline   Reply With Quote