TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Johnb02
IndyFan

Is it just me or do I like least of all, LC?

The title says it all. It's all luvey duvey father son relationship buisness.
Johnb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
HenryJunior
IndyFan

I would agree the story has a much lighter sider than movies previous. Raiders was the the straight-edge adventure epic, but still bright and powerful. TOD throws you for a loop with pulpy/dark/drama while maintaining the character traits and style we're familiar with. LC was a bit of a band-aid for the series after TOD left parents and the MPAA shaking their heads. This means many people believe it fell into Return of the Jedi Syndrome, repackaging the first movie with what audiences liked, add a few twists and make it a suitable climax (Obviously this wasn't a story arc like Star Wars, but it had a similar dramatic pattern).

I still think that the strongest part of LC's story was in fact the Henry Snr./Jr. subplot. It explains the nature of Indy a little better, his preferences for fieldwork rather than study, this self denouncement of his father's name (thus Indiana after his dog, someone who showed him much more love and positivity than his father. He took the name of someone loved him, and it wasn't his father's).

This is the overbearing theme of the story IMO, the search for the Grail is what finally brings them back together. Notice at the beginning of LC he wants almost nothing to do with his father, but after rekindling their father/son relationship they learn to love each other as a family, a family that was broken after Indy's mother died and Indy rebelled. Further evidence is his genuine reflection and sadness after his Dad has passed in KOTCS.

I think the feelings would have been more of relief if he had not had his new experiences and adventures with his father.

Last Crusade's story ends up with this great overbearing sub-plot, but gets washed over by recycled action and drama that in a way yes, shows signs of effort slipping out of the franchise.

Well I guess I just convinced myself I like LC after all, but even still My Fav's are Raiders and TOD.

Luvey-duvey? I suppose it could be degraded to that, but only in the last few minutes when Father and Son finally accept each other, but I believe there's more to it than that.

Last edited by HenryJunior : 08-30-2012 at 11:25 PM.
HenryJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Indy's brother
IndyFan

CAUTION: THREAD DERAILMENT IMMINENT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryJunior

Is it just me, or is there huge black flying saucer in this shot? Speaking of stating the obvious, aren't there about a hundred other threads that this OP could be tacked onto? Seriously, guys.

Last edited by Indy's brother : 08-31-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
Is it just me, or is there huge black flying saucer in this shot?
NICE! Good eye, Indy's bro'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
Speaking of stating the obvious, aren't there about a hundred other threads that this OP could be tacked onto? Seriously, guys.
This one kind of fits (even though it has "hate" in its title): Why do you hate The Last Crusade?

As much as I love it, "Crusade" was my least favourite until "Skull" came along.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Dr.Jonesy
IndyFan

'Crusade' went down a few notches for me over the last 5 years. It sits behind 'Kingdom' at third and ahead of 'Temple'.
Dr.Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnb02
It's just you...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
IndyForever
IndyFan

I love LC saw it 10 times in the same theatre back in the summer of 1989. It just works naturally from start to finish & does not feel forced at all. Spielberg wanted less flashy VFX Lucas wanted more flashy VFX which is why some feel its not the most loved Indy movie as the action is replaced by father/son bonding scenes instead of more ROTLA OTT action.

Personally I feel its the best Indy movie of the lot & is pretty much perfect. The prologue alone is incredible has there ever been such a whirlwind adventure condensed into the opening 15 mins (apart from KOTC which also had an amazing prologue).
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Temple Raider
IndyFan

I think it's grown to become my least favorite but I still love it. Even my least favorite IJ movie is still a classic
Temple Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
Randolph Carter
IndyFan

Quote:

It's not just you.
I also like LC the least of all the Indy movies.

Raiders is one of the greatest films of all time. Temple of Doom was a great sequel/prequel.

But for me, Last Crusade was lacking in so many respects.

I realize the movie has its fans, which is cool, but I've never understood how so many people can rate LC above Raiders.
Randolph Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph Carter
I realize the movie has its fans, which is cool, but I've never understood how so many people can rate LC above Raiders.

Indeed, I don't think "so many" people do rate Last Crusade above Raiders. Each movie has its fans who consider it their favorite (yes, even Crystal Skull), but I'm pretty sure Raiders is the favorite and most highly-rated of the four by the greatest number of people (although Crusade is likely a firm second, albeit perhaps not quite so firm around here).
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Is it just me or has has anyone else noticed that preceding a question with "Is it just me..." has become prevalent on message boards recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnb02
It's all luvey duvey father son relationship business.

I think it's sweet when a father and son can overcome their differences and embark on a murderous rampage across Europe and Western Asia.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Is it just me or has has anyone else noticed that preceding a question with "Is it just me..." has become prevalent on message boards recently?
I don't know about any other message boards, but the title of this particular thread is nothing if not stylish...
Quote:
I think it's sweet when a father and son can overcome their differences and embark on a murderous rampage across Europe and Western Asia.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
Temple Raider
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph Carter
It's not just you.
I also like LC the least of all the Indy movies.

Raiders is one of the greatest films of all time. Temple of Doom was a great sequel/prequel.

But for me, Last Crusade was lacking in so many respects.

While I've grown to like TLC the least I can understand why some would like it the best, as the interaction between Ford and Connery adds a lot to the movie and it's a much lighter-toned movie than ROTLA and TOD, which for some might make it a more fun and accessable movie.

TLC is definitely a high-quality movie, even if it's grown to become my least favorite.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #14
Temple Raider
IndyFan

I rewatched the series again and while I do love them all in their own way and love TLC, it still remains my new least favorite of the series. The overly comedic tone and approach doesn't sit well with me and can be jarring at times, and I find it especially doesn't gel well with the more dramatic bits with Indy and Henry, Sr. It just feels awkward. As silly as some of KOTCS' moments are, the overall tone actually feels more consistantly restrained and not overly slapstick, which is among the reasons I marginally favor it over TLC these days. TLC gets too slapsticky for me at times.

One issue about TLC that always bugged me too is how Indy is revealed to have stolen his look from the explorer early on with the jacket and fedora. Something about that just really irritates me, to think he stole his look from someone else. Does anyone else also greatly dislike that revelation? Even as a kid it always bothered me.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 AM   #15
jeshopk
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple Raider
I rewatched the series again and while I do love them all in their own way and love TLC, it still remains my new least favorite of the series. The overly comedic tone and approach doesn't sit well with me and can be jarring at times, and I find it especially doesn't gel well with the more dramatic bits with Indy and Henry, Sr. It just feels awkward. As silly as some of KOTCS' moments are, the overall tone actually feels more consistantly restrained and not overly slapstick, which is among the reasons I marginally favor it over TLC these days. TLC gets too slapsticky for me at times.

One issue about TLC that always bugged me too is how Indy is revealed to have stolen his look from the explorer early on with the jacket and fedora. Something about that just really irritates me, to think he stole his look from someone else. Does anyone else also greatly dislike that revelation? Even as a kid it always bothered me.

Yes, me too. Raiders Indy was no poser. No way he stole that look. Also, why would he steal the look from someone who was almost killing him? Also, when I was a teenager, I hated the jokes, but now I'm ok with it. I love em all, and Indy 4 is indeed very underrated, I say.
jeshopk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 AM   #16
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

It's just a matter of personal preference.
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #17
Temple Raider
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshopk
Yes, me too. Raiders Indy was no poser. No way he stole that look. Also, why would he steal the look from someone who was almost killing him?

I never even thought about that but that's a good point.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Mr Mississippi
IndyFan

It is NOT just you!

Last Crusade has always been my least favorite...but it is my wife's favorite. Temple of Doom has also always been my favorite and I know it's most people's least favorite. Raiders is a close second.
Mr Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #19
Temple Raider
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mississippi
Temple of Doom has also always been my favorite and I know it's most people's least favorite. Raiders is a close second.

Same for me, they've always been my top two.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Vance
IndyFan

Quote:

*whap*

It's a thiny-veiled way of seeking affirmation.. a 'hope', if you will, for someone to pipe up and say 'no, it's not just you. You're okay and there are others like you out there'.

To that I say "Screw it. You're a freak, on the internet, afraid of being alone in your thoughts. Welcome to life, deal with it."
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #21
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
*whap*

It's a thiny-veiled way of seeking affirmation.. a 'hope', if you will, for someone to pipe up and say 'no, it's not just you. You're okay and there are others like you out there'.

To that I say "Screw it. You're a freak, on the internet, afraid of being alone in your thoughts. Welcome to life, deal with it."

It's not just me then!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #22
Temple Raider
IndyFan

Quote:

It's probably just used since some fans are in a minority when it comes to their views on certain films, like thinking of TLC as the weakest Indy film, which isn't a popular opinion.

I always enjoy hearing different perspectives on the series and other movies, always interesting to hear why someone feels differently
Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #23
Temple Raider
IndyFan

Today I watched TLC again (felt up for watching it for some reason) and one thing that also now has it as my least liked is how Indy himself is sometimes made the butt of jokes in it. I still detest the moment where he disguises himself trying to break into the castle and when he and Henry, Sr. are in the revolving fireplace. Moments like that take me out of the film sometimes when I watch it. I also dislike how clumsy Indy comes off in it in some moments, which he never came off as in the other three.

I wonder if others dislike the bits I mentioned? None of it is enough to make me dislike the film because as I said, I still love it very much. But seeing the main man himself used for silly moments of humor like what I mentioned are some of the things that place TLC at the bottom of the four for me these days. Seeing Indy along with Sallah and Brody sometimes used for over the top humor, it's not my preference in an Indy film.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #24
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Today I watched TLC again (felt up for watching it for some reason) and one thing that also now has it as my least liked is how Indy himself is sometimes made the butt of jokes in it. I still detest the moment where he disguises himself trying to break into the castle and when he and Henry, Sr. are in the revolving fireplace. Moments like that take me out of the film sometimes when I watch it. I also dislike how clumsy Indy comes off in it in some moments, which he never came off as in the other three.

I wonder if others dislike the bits I mentioned? None of it is enough to make me dislike the film because as I said, I still love it very much. But seeing the main man himself used for silly moments of humor like what I mentioned are some of the things that place TLC at the bottom of the four for me these days. Seeing Indy along with Sallah and Brody sometimes used for over the top humor, it's not my preference in an Indy film.

I agree. I prefer a steely Indy who is capable even if he doesn't come out on top in his adventures. I particularly find that scene where he falls backwards down the secret stairs crying "Dad!" cringeworthy.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #25
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:

I find that the comedy turn from Marcus in the tank much more annoying.

I suppose they were trying to recover after some of the comments made at TOD. They wanted to make something more lighthearted and closer to ROTLA, but I think overall TLC takes the comedy angle a bit further than Raiders ever did.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote