TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Which Superman film is the best?
Superman: The Movie 18 66.67%
Superman II 3 11.11%
Superman III 1 3.70%
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace 1 3.70%
Superman Returns 4 14.81%
Man of Steel 0 0%
Batman v Superman 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #26
Michael24
IndyFan

Superman Returns. Was the first Superman movie I actually liked.
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #27
ClintonHammond

It's not silly.... It's acknowledging the fact that there's a difference between, as I've stated over and over and over... "Like&Dislike" and "Good&Bad"

Do you know the difference between "objective" and "subjective"?

Maybe you aughta start there....
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #28
herr gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond
It's not silly.... It's acknowledging the fact that there's a difference between, as I've stated over and over and over... "Like&Dislike" and "Good&Bad"

Do you know the difference between "objective" and "subjective"?

Maybe you aughta start there....

Clinton, once again you steer the subject matter deep into irrelevent territory. I love Superman III. It's a great film. Subjectively speaking.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #29
ClintonHammond

Subjectively there's no such thing as great....

The quality of your thoughts can only ever be equal to your ability to express those thoughts in language to your fellow human beings....

Language, and the way we employ it, is NEVER irrelevant. An "Actor" aughta know that...
Old 11-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #30
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
"It's a real shame that so many hate Returns"
Why is it a shame? How does their loss, their failure to find enjoyment in something impact your ability to enjoy it? You don't like King Kong any less just because I think it's a steaming pile of skite do you?!?! I should hope to hell not!!

Because Returns deserves a lot more respect than what it's being given. That movie was a work of love by Bryan Singer, a big fan of the terrific first flick, and I find it rather sad that so many have skipped the point of the new movie: TO EVOKE THE SAME SENSE OF FUN AND INTERESTING STORYTELLING AS THE ORIGINAL DID!!!

I'm sorry, but I'm just one of those guys who cannot stand listening to folks bash IMO good movies without trying to defend the poor flick.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #31
herr gruber

As I said above, you have once again turned the topic of conversation into a witchhunt against fellow members. What have my acting skills got to do with Superman films? Do you have Attention Deficit Disorder?
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #32
ClintonHammond

It's not a witchhunt... it's being critical of YOUR use of language.

"I'm sorry, but I'm just one of those guys..."
No need to be sorry.... It's your rope to p!ss up if you want to....
Old 11-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #33
Eric Solo
IndyFan

Quote:

I'm afraid that your personal foibles that appear to lean you toward a "Victorian" style of child rearing are of no consequence to me... Adults can't read and enjoy comic books? Children can't read and enjoy graphic novels? Wow... What a limited world view you seem to have. It seems to me, that such an outlook could only lead one to miss out on a whole lot of enjoyment.... Your loss....

So you would have no problem taking a small child to see Sin City? Interesting.

I never said an adult couldn't read or enjoy a comic book. Where did you get that? I enjoy them an I'm an adult.
Eric Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #34
ClintonHammond

It would depend on the child.... I've known some very young kids who woulda DUG seeing Sin City on the big screen...

I've also known some adults who couldn't 'take' it even on a 13" portable TV....
Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #35
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

Quote:
It would depend on the child.... I've known some very young kids who woulda DUG seeing Sin City on the big screen...

I've also known some adults who couldn't 'take' it even on a 13" portable TV....
sounds like a lie .

whom?
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #36
metalinvader
IndyFan

Some kids are more mature than others.I was 12 when I first saw A Clockwork Orange and you don't see me going around raping people.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #37
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

No duh hes right but
i doubt HE KNOWs someone

maybe he knows of kids
but not knoiws lol
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #38
ClintonHammond

When you learn to communicate like you're possessed of more brains than the last thing I picked out of my nose, maybe I'll answer your question, salussolia....
Old 11-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #39
nezobiwan
IndyFan

Quote:
When you learn to communicate like you're possessed of more brains than the last thing I picked out of my nose, maybe I'll answer your question, salussolia....

Haha, you pick your nose.

nezobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #40
TennesseBuck
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24
Superman Returns. Was the first Superman movie I actually liked.

I'll take SUPERMAN IV over RETURNS anyday. Neither one is a particularly good film. SUPERMAN II is still the best.
TennesseBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #41
fixer79
IndyFan

For some reason, I've always preferred Superman II over I...
Boy, did I LOVE the scene where Supes breaks Zod's hand at the end! I remember jumping up 'n down our couch and cheering every time I saw it

CHRIS REEVE = SUPERMAN

fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #42
Eric Solo
IndyFan

You are right, Fixer. Christopher Reeve was perfect for the part. Watching Brandon Routh as Superman is like watching a really good Elvis impersonator. He's good, but there's only one King.
Eric Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #43
ClintonHammond

George Reeves did it before Chris did....
Old 11-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #44
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Since I have only ever seen Superman, I can't really vote, but I did really like Hollywoodland. That should be on there.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #45
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
George Reeves did it before Chris did....

and a few actors before that in some serials..

While I do think Chris was the best,It isn't THAT hard to play Superman...It's quite the one dimensional character...
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #46
ClintonHammond

"It isn't THAT hard to play Superman...It's quite the one dimensional character..."
A point that's been made over and over and over, yes....
Old 11-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #47
nezobiwan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer79
For some reason, I've always preferred Superman II over I...
Boy, did I LOVE the scene where Supes breaks Zod's hand at the end! I remember jumping up 'n down our couch and cheering every time I saw it

CHRIS REEVE = SUPERMAN

Yes! That is an *awesome* scene. Terence Stamp is cool, but seeing him in Pricilla Queen of the Desert has warped my brain a bit. Can't help imagining him in a strawberry-blonde wig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Solo
You are right, Fixer. Christopher Reeve was perfect for the part. Watching Brandon Routh as Superman is like watching a really good Elvis impersonator. He's good, but there's only one King.

Nicely put!

If anyone has the DVD of either the first movie or the Donner ed. of II (like myself) you can see some of the auditions of the other fellahs who tried out for the movie... it is VERY evident why Reeve was chosen despite his gangliness and lack of muscle definition.

The reason Superman was so great was because they took it more seriously than previous superhero attempts (Superman series with George Reeves, Batman series with Adam West). There's more of a balance with Donner's take ... without Donner's vision to bring superheroes into the "real" world, we wouldn't have today's X-Men or Spiderman or Batman (Keaton or Bale) movies. Hell, we wouldn't have the hit series "Heroes"! Donner brought the heroes out of the "camp".

(Does anyone else watch the Sci-Fi series "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" This is a somewhat unrelated note, but every time I type "superhero" I say it aloud in my brain the way Stan Lee does: "soopuh-hearah". Tee hee.)
nezobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #48
Montana Smith
IndyFan

I'm pretty sure I saw Superman: The Movie in the cinema, or maybe it was Superman II. I was young and it couldn't have left much of an impression on me.

It would have been before I realized how dull he was as a character, and yet how inexplicably popular he's been for so many years.

I recently picked up a tin box set of Superman DVDs for a couple of quid from a family who were emigrating. It was very deliberately the last thing I picked up from them.

When I opened it up at home I found it was the 13-disc 'Ultimate Collector’s Edition'.

I forced myself to revisit the films. It was a morbid curiosity.

Made it through the first two with heavy use of the fast forward. While the commentators said they were breaking new ground with special effects, even they had to admit that some of it was pretty bad.

In fact quite a bit of it looks surprisingly clunky, especially the miniature work.

The best bits were Christopher Reeve hamming it up as Clark Kent; Luthor's lair; the wheatfields that seem to go on forever; and the double entendres.

As for the worst the campy outfits (including Luthor's) come near the top. The scenes on Krypton where the three glam rockers got turned into an album cover made me think of a cheesy music video.

Scouring the DVD extras I've so far found the George Reeves 1951 film, Superman and the Mole Men, which naturally makes the '78 movie look like a masterpiece.

The real highlight, however, were the nine Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons from 1941-1942. Some really high quality animation.

I'll eventually struggle on through the other eight discs to see what else there is to find, purely in the name of science of course!

Last edited by Montana Smith : 05-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #49
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Superman 2 is IMO the pick of the films, it was one of the first films I ever saw at the cinema. I think the fact superman had adversaries who were his equal is what made me enjoy it. For me it just pipped the original as I much preferred seeing more of Christopher Reeve on screen. 3 & 4 were so bad it's hard to believe they thought they were a good idea.

I'd agree with the above point that superman is actually an uninteresting character. Maybe they will try to make him more interesting or complex with the upcoming new film.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #50
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
3 & 4 were so bad it's hard to believe they thought they were a good idea.

I still have those to look forward to.

Next highlight on the discs was the eight episodes of the Famous Studios cartoons of 1942-1943.

Both these and the Fleischer ones were so well made. Shadowy and stylized film noir of the kind picked up again for the later Batman and Superman animated series, only with even better artwork than the later examples.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote