Gremlins

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member

Before a sequel, why not an origin story? Roald Dahl wrote a couple of WWII themed books.
About mischievous little creatures that were part of Royal Air Force folklore. The RAF pilots blamed the gremlins for all the problems with the aircraft. While at the British Embassy in Washington, Dahl sent a copy to the First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt who read it to her grandchildren, and the book was commissioned by Walt Disney for a film that was never made.
The second one's not for children:
They briefly emerge during the Battle of Britain, but the experience makes them decide that humankind would destroy themselves without their intervention. The gremlins wait until the time is right - after World War III and World War IV decimate the earth, they emerge and take over the world. The story ends with the gremlins, unable to exist in a world without humans, disappearing too; finally, only the worm remains.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.slashfilm.com/chris-columbus-interview
Chris Columbus talks a little about his Gremlins 3 script.
Q: Is now the right time for it to come back?
Oh, without a doubt. I've written a script. I'm really proud of the script. It is as twisted and dark as anything so we'll see. It's always a budgetary conversation when we're going to shoot it. I wanted to go back to the really twisted sensibility of the first movie. I found that was a very easy place for me to fall back into and start writing again so hopefully we'll see that movie soon.

Q: Can we at least hope for some puppets?
Oh, without a doubt. Minimal CGI. CGI will enable us to remove wires and make the puppeteers lives a little easier. It was brutal. It was like a marathon every night for those guys. In the bar scene alone there were 18-20 people behind the bar. No one had any space to move. It was just hellish for those guys so CGI will simplify that a little bit but it's all puppets.

Q: If gremlin attacks keep happening, does anyone raise the question: do we need to kill Gizmo?
Very good observation. That comes up in the movie certainly.

Q: I don't want them to but I imagine someone's thinking it.
I think it probably is a good idea to be honest with you. Too many people are dying.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Back to the idea of Gremlin (singular) prequel during WWII.

In 1937 just before Japan invades China, a young Mr. Wing finds and rescues Gizmo from the forest. In 1941, they stow away on a Pan American seaplane to Guam. A stewardess and Pacific cable repairman take them in, and a naval base family's children are fascinated with Gizmo. The expected happens, wreaking havoc on their tropical community until the Japanese invade. All evacuate except for Wing and the cable guy who hide on the island. Gremlins sabotage Japanese machinery throughout the occupation, but can't migrate because saltwater is fatal. Americans arrive and recapture Guam, as do non-native brown tree snakes, which bite and paralyze nearly all the gremlins who burn at sunrise. In 1945 Wing and the cable guy emerge from their subterranean tunnels to see the Enola Gay arrive. The remaining gremlins want the atomic bombs for themselves, and in the final action sequence (possibly airborne) steal and accidentally detonate what turns out to be a test "pumpkin bomb."

How long can Disney cling to the rights to the film they never made?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
gremlins-apemeetsgirl-regular-highres-frontpage-700x332.jpg

Mr. Wing acquired the grail and fertility idol, and seems to be using the monkey brains skull for his lunch.

Posters are sold out. Hi res here, key here.