Secret of the Sphinx

ReggieSnake

Nurhachi1991 said:
its in the chapter when indy gets back to the collage and he finds a glass jar with the skull in it than he returns it

are you suggesting that i diddnt read it?
No, just that perhaps you had it confused with a different book.

Now that you mention it I do remember that chapter. There is also a huge snake if I recall, and Indy hides in a passageway that takes him back in time...

Lao_Che

ReggieSnake said:
No, just that perhaps you had it confused with a different book.

Now that you mention it I do remember that chapter. There is also a huge snake if I recall, and Indy hides in a passageway that takes him back in time...

There's a crystal skull sub-plot across all the Max McCoy novels (Philosopher's Stone, Dinosaur Eggs, Hollow Earth and Secret of the Sphinx).

Leland Chee's blog on the subject

Nurhachi1991

yeah i liked the book alot and loved the little referances they made like sallahs brother in laws car. and when marcus asks him if he knew what the remains of Nurhachi i was like heck yeah!

No Ticket

Nurhachi1991 said:
yeah i liked the book alot and loved the little referances they made like sallahs brother in laws car. and when marcus asks him if he knew what the remains of Nurhachi i was like heck yeah!

Me too. lol. That was a great book. One of my favorites. I really liked, while reading the part about the skull at the end, how it disappeared completely when Indy put it in ... what was it... alcohol or something? I guess any clear fluid. But that would be cool if that worked in KOTCS, it could be used to hide the skull right in front of the bad guys. Although I don't think, based on the design of the one in KOTCS, that it's going to happen.

My favorite part of the book was probably the end where... (KOTCS commercial is on, hold on... .... man it pysches me out to see that on tv... anyway) I like how the staff well... if you read it you know, don't want to spoil it for anybody.

Perhilion

I didn't like it. The writing wasn't very good. In fact there are very few Indy novels that I do like. None of them feel very "Jonesish" to me.

Ltdefense

I thought out of all McCoys books, Spinx was the one where he acted most like Indy. He was more of a jerk in this one- (General curtness, willing to leave the spy to drown, ect.) He was too much of a softy in Mccoys other books.

Indy Black

When was it published? It sounds familiar as I've read the other McCoy novels but I'm not sure and has it been re-printed?

And I agree on the "softie" Indy in the other books, maybe he had to mature into the character we know and love from the films.:hat:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
So that's what's missing... crystal skull powered time travel!
I planned the Crystal Skull episodes from the start, because I wanted a continuing story to play from book to book, and I knew Indy would have to return the skull. But I expected it would play a bigger part in the last book? originally, I had written a time-travel sequence for the last book, but only portions of it survived.
Also the Omega book is
The Bible?s Book of Life. Also, some of the Edgar Cayce prophecies that an ultimate repository of knowledge would be found beneath the Sphinx, some type of archive that would chronicle the lives of every single person on earth. I?m not sure that is how Cayce phrased it, but that seemed to be the gist.
And isn't the girl's name Mystery, like in Revelations 17:5?

I too felt like it was a draft, not a finished story when I read it. I thought it was a good book, but there definitely was some sloppy editing done. The time travel bits in particular.

I recently re-read it and the time travel parts weren't as blantant, but this is after I knew pieces were left in. The first time I read it when it was released I found it a bit confusing, especially the unexplained memory lapses, the code words Indy had set up with Marcus, etc.

Morning Bell

I liked this novel quite a bit. Granted, the ending was a bit strange and it did feel kind of pieced together in places but overall it had a great Indy-feel to it and had a good story.

Short Rounded

Ltdefense said:
I thought out of all McCoys books, Spinx was the one where he acted most like Indy. He was more of a jerk in this one- (General curtness, willing to leave the spy to drown, ect.) He was too much of a softy in Mccoys other books.
In one of the newer books (Pyramid of the Sorceror), Indy is extremely rude. I just purchased Secret of the Sphinx. Is he so much of a jerk that it's annoying?

Saber79

I enjoyed this book a lot when I read it. I just took it for what it was..another Indy story in the same manner of the Dark Horse comics. I also loved the cover design of this book as well.

Peru1936

I thought the story started off great. The first few chapters are top shelf adventure. Ultimately though I felt the story wanned toward the end.

There are several grammatical, spelling, and continuity mistakes throughout the story; however, I bought my copy in a used bookstore in Kathmandu, so I'm unsure of its authenticity. One example, though, is the name of the character Faye. The name is sometimes spelt without an 'e'.

The few minor references to Raiders are a nice little touch.

I'd give it a 6/10.

Goonie

Just finished reading Sphinx. Not a bad book. I thought it was a little slow to start. I think it would've been better if the staff was rediscovered in a tomb rather than being guarded by a desert tribe. As for the Sphinx, maybe it too could've been used in some more imaginative way rather than just being the entranceway to the tunnels. Otherwise, it was an enjoyable book.:)

Liked the tie-ins to Temple of Doom, and since I'm reading these in order, that's what I'm reading next (since I haven't read the novelization of Doom yet).