General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
That's what I'm talking about! I think it would be best in the beginning of the 3rd act of Indy 5, though. Not the opening third act.

Then once he comes across his dead self, he has just a moment or two to figure out a clue to his demise, travel back in time, avoid his death (which is a direct result of something that happens because of his time-travel) and save the day. ;)

I'd rather Mutt took over his father's role! :p

Mickiana

He discovers Mutt's skeleton, goes back in time to ensure Mutt dies, gets caught in a time loop and lives out an eternity of enjoying Mutt's ever repeated death.

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
That's what I'm talking about! I think it would be best in the beginning of the 3rd act of Indy 5, though. Not the opening third act.

Then once he comes across his dead self, he has just a moment or two to figure out a clue to his demise, travel back in time, avoid his death (which is a direct result of something that happens because of his time-travel) and save the day. ;)

Sounds like the last series of Doctor Who...

Darth Vile said:
Sounds like the last series of Doctor Who...
HA! Just saw Tom Baker as an Interpol Agent in an episode of Remmington Steele last night! Oi!

Indy V is coming.

She's coming round the mountain when she comes, when she comes...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
HA! Just saw Tom Baker as an Interpol Agent in an episode of Remmington Steele last night! Oi!

Indy V is coming.

She's coming round the mountain when she comes, when she comes...

As long as Mutt isn't the one wearing the pink pajamas. :eek:

AlivePoet

It's funny. Here in Korea, cable channels air the Indy trilogy + KotCS maybe four times a year, and every time they air with them a short 30-min doc about the next film, which Korean sources claim is being filmed to be released the following year. It's been the same doc for two years now, but they keep changing the dates. (y)

AlivePoet

Johnny Nys said:
With what do they fill those 30 mins exactly?

A lot of footage from the four films coupled with a nice big "Indiana Jones 5" (in Korean), complete with Raiders font, in the corner of the screen. They include a few snippets of interviews from the big three talking about the fifth film (subtitled in Korean). There's lot of Korean narration regarding the next film's release date and speculation about the plot. That's about it.

Junior Jones

TheRaider.net said:
New EW Spielberg states that there is no Indy 5 until Lucas says there is. they have agreed on the genre & concept of it waiting on story.

Interesting that they had to agree on the genre...

Olliana

I think genre just implies the "formula" they want to go by this time.
Raiders was sort of a one-man show, temple was a non-stop thrill ride, crusade some kind of a buddy-road-movie and skull was a family-fun trip.
If that makes any sense.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Olliana said:
I think genre just implies the "formula" they want to go by this time.
Raiders was sort of a one-man show, temple was a non-stop thrill ride, crusade some kind of a buddy-road-movie and skull was a family-fun trip.
If that makes any sense.

Skull was also a 50s alien movie, which might be what they mean.

Wonder if this guy counts as a genre.

Olliana

Attila the Professor said:

Ah! You may have something there :hat:

But seriously, I don't get where the preferation for Indy V to be "Hitchcockian", seemingly omnipresent at the Raven, actually comes from.
After seeing Indy IV, I just don't see them taking any other route for Indy V anymore...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Olliana said:
But seriously, I don't get where the preferation for Indy V to be "Hitchcockian", seemingly omnipresent at the Raven, actually comes from.
After seeing Indy IV, I just don't see them taking any other route for Indy V anymore...

Well, that's the whole point. Since it seems, based on Indy IV, that the new trend is to play around with a more 1950s-oriented mode of film storytelling, part of the consideration of what a fifth film is entails exploring what other genres they might fool around with. There's certainly strong basis for this, considering the first act of Darabont's City of Gods script is strongly Hitchcockian in tone, with a fight sequence with a mysterious spy at the museum and the finding of the MacGuffin in a bowling bag in a hotel room while Indy is mistaken for an enemy agent.

I don't think we'd be either pulling for or pushing for this Hitchcockian approach for part of the film had we not gotten the impression from Crystal Skull that genre games are now a part of the films. And after all, they've strongly considered a haunted house film previously in the series, and Temple of Doom is a venture into a much more horror-flavored mode as well.

The Drifter

And after all, they've strongly considered a haunted house film previously in the series, and Temple of Doom is a venture into a much more horror-flavored mode as well.

Oh, how I would love to see the next one delve even more into the horror genre. This would make my decade.
ToD had genuinely creepy moments, and I may be in the minority, but I want even more of those moments.

On another note: This has got to be the longest thread at The Raven, no?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Drifter said:
Oh, how I would love to see the next one delve even more into the horror genre. This would make my decade.
ToD had genuinely creepy moments, and I may be in the minority, but I want even more of those moments.

Maybe it's time to start playing around in this thread again, get a few strong genre threads going to compete with each other.

The Drifter said:
On another note: This has got to be the longest thread at The Raven, no?

Must be. This is the only one I could think of off the top of my head that's even close, and it only has 1,200 posts.

Darth Vile

Wonder if this guy counts as a genre.

That would be my take...

1) Republic serials
2) Horror
3) Boys own adventure
4) 1950's B movie/sci fi
5) Spy/Espionage??? Musical? ;)

The Drifter

Darth Vile said:
That would be my take...

1) Republic serials
2) Horror
3) Boys own adventure
4) 1950's B movie/sci fi
5) Spy/Espionage??? Musical? ;)

I don't see Doom as horror. Sure, it has horror elements (which I stated in another thread today), I see it as a homage to the pulp stories of the 20's and 30's. Raider's was a homage to the serials of that time, and I see Doom as a homage to pulp. Oriental Stories magazine, rings a bell in my head sometimes while watching Doom.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Drifter said:
I don't see Doom as horror. Sure, it has horror elements (which I stated in another thread today), I see it as a homage to the pulp stories of the 20's and 30's. Raider's was a homage to the serials of that time, and I see Doom as a homage to pulp. Oriental Stories magazine, rings a bell in my head sometimes while watching Doom.

It certainly is pulpier, at least to my untrained eye. Roger Ebert also identifies it as being, as opposed to Raiders's "exotic road picture," to belong to the Impregnable Fortress Impregnated formula.

But I think it also has strong horror elements, with killers emerging from nowhere, magical blood, demonic possession, voodoo dolls, flayed human skins, and, of course, a heart being ripped out of its owner's body. After all, the India adventure was conceived <I>after</I> an earlier haunted castle idea.